Proposal: PIT-MTL-TOR

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
*EDIT Forgot the Habs are already retaining on 2 salaries so moved the 3rd -> Toronto and removed the 75% -> 50% for Guentzel

I know some Leafs fans think the move is to just let this be a 'play it out' year and not an all-in year but given how weak the East seems this year why not make a big push. With rumors Guentzel only wants 8-9m, the Leafs could probably find a way to make it work (why not have 50% of your salary be your top 6?) and bring him back + Savard has another year left on his deal.

PIT:
Cowan
TOR 2024 1st

TOR:
Guentzel (50% retained)
Savard (50% retained)
Pens 2025 3rd

MTL:
Minten
Leafs cap dump of choice

Leafs shore up defensively with Savard and add a legit LW to play on their top line

Pens add a great prospect in Cowan and a (hopefully for Leafs fans) late 1st for a pending UFA

Habs eat a lot of money and make a rival better but Minten would give them the freedom to move Beck (or Minten again) as part of a bigger package at the draft.

With Tanev off the board, Savard is probably the best fit for the Leafs. I understand cap is going to be an issue but with LTIR stuff, retaining, and one contract going out I think the Leafs could fit both.

Who says no?

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know some Leafs fans think the move is to just let this be a 'play it out' year and not an all-in year but given how weak the East seems this year why not make a big push. With rumors Guentzel only wants 8-9m, the Leafs could probably find a way to make it work (why not have 50% of your salary be your top 6?) and bring him back + Savard has another year left on his deal.

PIT:
Cowan
TOR 2024 1st

TOR:
Guentzel (75% retained)
Savard (50% retained)
PIT 2025 3rd

MTL:
Guentzel's Salary (50% Retained)
Minten
Pens 2025 3rd
Leafs cap dump of choice

Leafs shore up defensively with Savard and add a legit LW to play on their top line

Pens add a great prospect in Cowan and a (hopefully for Leafs fans) late 1st for a pending UFA

Habs eat a lot of money and make a rival better but Minten would give them the freedom to move Beck (or Minten again) as part of a bigger package at the draft.

With Tanev off the board, Savard is probably the best fit for the Leafs. I understand cap is going to be an issue but with LTIR stuff, retaining, and one contract going out I think the Leafs could fit both.

Who says no?
Pens clean up. Get Cowan and a first both. Habs get nothing.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
From a Leafs perspective, pass. Didn't really consider other teams perspectives.

Leafs have less than 0 hope of being able to resign Guentzel, and giving up our first, plus 2 best prospects, to be left with 1 year of 34-year old David Savard at $1.75m makes no sense.

Would much rather focus on Seattle, hope they lose a few more games here, and try to get Larsson or Borgen.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
So the Pens are trading two 3rd round picks in 2025? One of which they don't have?

And is Cowan really a great prospect? He looks like a late first round pick with mediocre stats in junior.......

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I feel like about 5 teams could and would beat that offer for Jake. I’d rather take the chance of signing him than moving him for that return.

Reactions: Ryder71

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
From a Leafs perspective, pass. Didn't really consider other teams perspectives.

Leafs have less than 0 hope of being able to resign Guentzel, and giving up our first, plus 2 best prospects, to be left with 1 year of 34-year old David Savard at $1.75m makes no sense.

Would much rather focus on Seattle, hope they lose a few more games here, and try to get Larsson or Borgen.
The chances of that happening are pretty slim. Seattle are likely to retool in the summer and keep them both. Unless the leafs offer them something crazy they can't refuse

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
So the Pens are trading two 3rd round picks in 2025? One of which they don't have?

And is Cowan really a great prospect? He looks like a late first round pick with mediocre stats in junior.......
Cowan’s development took off late last season and continued on an astronomical pace this season. If he played 68 games like last season, he’d put up roughly 119 points with this seasons pace.

He also looked good in training camp and preseason. Part of me thought he might actually crack the opening lineup.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Jesus that's bad for Montreal. First off they can't even retain on 2 more players. Even if they could, why would they? They're giving up a valuable commodity in Savard but retaining on him, retaining on Guentzel, AND taking a cap dump for the equivalent of a 2nd and a 3rd? Hard pass

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Minten and a 3d wouldn't be enough to get Montreal to move Savard and retain on him for a year and a half.

I'm going to assume Guentzel could get 3d party retention from another team, but that could only hurt Montreal's return, making the deal even less attractive.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
*EDIT Forgot the Habs are already retaining on 2 salaries so moved the 3rd -> Toronto and removed the 75% -> 50% for Guentzel

PIT:
Cowan
TOR 2024 1st

TOR:
Guentzel (50% retained)
Savard (50% retained)
Pens 2025 3rd

MTL:
Minten
Leafs cap dump of choice

Who says no?
Leafs don’t have that cap space..

Reactions: Petrus

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
David Savard for Fraser Minten might be interesting for Montreal, but not when you're forcing the Canadiens to also take a cap dump.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Why stop there ? Send Matthews to Pittsburgh as well. Wtf is this proposal ? Minten + Cown + 1st for Savard and Guentzal ? What a joke

You have PIT giving up the same pick to two different teams. Hard no from the Pens. We can do better I think.

Leafs would have to add another good young asset. Knies maybe.
LOL we're talking about Guentzal here not Crosby :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: banks and Petrus

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016

Cowan has the best PPG in the OHL by a healthy margin. He's been easily the best player in the OHL this year... Mediocre stats, is certainly not correct

That being said, I see him being a similar value add to a Zach Hyman, great motor, can score, amazing on the PK etc less so a gamebreaking winger tho.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Cowan has the best PPG in the OHL by a healthy margin. He's been easily the best player in the OHL this year... Mediocre stats, is certainly not correct

That being said, I see him being a similar value add to a Zach Hyman, great motor, can score, amazing on the PK etc less so a gamebreaking winger tho.
He also set a franchise record for longest point streak which is still ongoing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad