Confirmed with Link: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 4th PIT 2023

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I like that Matheson is on an upward trajectory and has some good tools. If he works out well, the deal should work put well for us, given the limited market for Petry at this point in time.

I wasn't ready to throw the towel in on Poehling as a winger with size and speed who, imo, showed signs he can play the game.

But management didn't want to give him a shot in the top 9 over a washed up over paid vet. So, we weren't going to find out here what he has and it was either him or Potlick. And I like Pitlick. I would have put one of Byron, Drouin, or Hoffman in Laval to give Poehling a shot on the wing.
I might have too, but if Pitt wanted a 4th line center, Poehling was being offered before Evans that's for sure.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Matheson did play similar amount of ice time to Petry 5on5. Looks like he played with Letang and Marino mostly.

I know we're tanking but I really don't want Harris to be paired with Wideman/Barron in his rookie season. Feel like he should be Montreal's development focus on D in the NHL this season, let Guhle play full year in AHL and give Barron at least half the year.

Matheson got some time on RD but feel Edmundson has more experience there. Nonetheless, I'd put them together with whoever is better playing RD.

Matheson (22min) - Edmundson (20min)
Harris (20min) - Savard (22min)
Leskinen/Schueneman - Wideman/Bowey (tank pairing ~18 min)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Poehling wanted out of MTL

He was also waiver eligible and probably wasn't going to make the NHL roster given his play. He's not better than Anderson, Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher, Drouin, Dvorak, Dandonov, Pitlick, Hoffman, Dach, Evans, Byron and Armia. Montreal also seems to like Pezzetta more and Slafkovsky figures to have a real shot at making the team.

It was either trade him or likely lose him on waivers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Matheson did play similar amount of ice time to Petry 5on5. Looks like he played with Letang and Marino mostly.

I know we're tanking but I really don't want Harris to be paired with Wideman/Barron in his rookie season. Feel like he should be Montreal's development focus on D in the NHL this season, let Guhle play full year in AHL and give Barron at least half the year.

Matheson got some time on RD but feel Edmundson has more experience there. Nonetheless, I'd put them together with whoever is better playing RD.

Hughes recently said he sees Barron being in Montreal.

He was also waiver eligible and probably wasn't going to make the NHL roster given his play. He's not better than Anderson, Suzuki, Caufield, Gallagher, Drouin, Dvorak, Dandonov, Pitlick, Hoffman, Dach, Evans, Byron and Armia. Montreal also seems to like Pezzetta more and Slafkovsky figures to have a real shot at making the team.

It was either trade him or likely lose him on waivers.

I would have played Poehling on the wing and sent down Byron, Hoffman, or Drouin if need be.

Would have liked to have seen what Poehling can do with offensive players.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

It still feels like Hughes wants to move a forward and bring in a Subban, Stralman or De Haan though.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Changed your tune on Petry quick didn't ya? Just two years ago you told me he would get Norris votes. Petry was on pace for 60 points under MSL. Matheson don't have that upside.

Same as Poehling. A former first round pick you once said he was one of our best prospects. A concussion then trapped under Ducharme you say he is replacement player level. He was showing signs under MSL.

You must change your opinion every time wind changes direction. Lol
Is that a bad thing to change one's opinion when new information presents itself? It seems like someone who doesn't do that can never admit that they were wrong.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is that a bad thing to change one's opinion when new information presents itself? It seems like someone who doesn't do that can never admit that they were wrong.
Changed your tune on Petry quick didn't ya? Just two years ago you told me he would get Norris votes. Petry was on pace for 60 points under MSL. Matheson don't have that upside.

Same as Poehling. A former first round pick you once said he was one of our best prospects. A concussion then trapped under Ducharme you say he is replacement player level. He was showing signs under MSL.

You must change your opinion every time wind changes direction. Lol
Two years of new observations of Petry and three years for Poehling..... that's "quick" to you?

Quick?

Seriously?

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
We understand why all these moves were done. But was not there more clever ways to do moves and stay a more relevant team ? Lehkonen and Romanov should still be Habs. And Wright should had been the #1 pick.

Loved the Lehkonen trade. We acquired a player at a position of need 7 or 8 years younger.

Romanov trade? Idk, both players played an important position of need. But I guess Dach would be much more important if he pans out. They bought low on him too after his injuries and struggle.

Slaf vs Wright... I just hope our (revamped?) scouting team and development team are doing a better job than before...

Reactions: hvac412

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Just wondering if hugo received better offers for petry prior to last seasons trade dead line? Just thought it would be interesting to know.
I'm wondering the same thing. Teams seem more desperate at the trade deadline and there seems to be more demand than supply than during the offseason when all teams are looking to make moves plus free agency where teams get can players without giving anything up.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I don't think their financial situation is dire. I think they believe they have a shot as long as those three are around.
Technically they do, but they just have to improve their depth. Malkin makes a bit more than Drouin...they're not in a bad cap situation.
In absolute dollars you’re correct. But in a few years, as those expensive long term contracts become increasingly less productive, it will be the equivalent to us having four Gallaghers. Not a pretty sight.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
They will be shipped out as part of trade packages, they were not HuGo picks and they don’t care for them

So they'll trade Caufield too?

I swear, of all the people on this board, I've never seen anyone being so stuck-up on structured beliefs about hockey.

You probably still believe the Habs aren't rebuilding because Andlauer and Molson said they wouldn't, like over 13 years ago.

Where are all those acquisitions that would make them compete next season like you claimed they would do?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So they'll trade Caufield too?

I swear, of all the people on this board, I've never seen anyone being so stuck-up on structured beliefs about hockey.

You probably still believe the Habs aren't rebuilding because Andlauer and Molson said they wouldn't, like over 13 years ago.

Where are all those acquisitions that would make them compete next season like you claimed they would do?
I think Dach is a piece they wanted, Matheson was a decent pick up and Hughes might land one more piece in the next 8 months. It's a building approach, not an all-in, nor a scorched earth approach.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think Dach is a piece they wanted, Matheson was a decent pick up and Hughes might land one more piece in the next 8 months. It's a building approach, not an all-in, nor a scorched earth approach.

It's a rebuild. When you turnover 50 mil in salaries in less than 3 years, it's a rebuild.

You can jump through hoops playing semantics games, but a huge roster turnover is a rebuild and that's what were going through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad