Confirmed with Link: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 4th PIT 2023

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If you are correct and the Penguins needed something ‘to sweeten the pot’ then you have all the affirmation you require to assess the current comparative values of a 27 year old Matheson to a 36 year old Petry. We acquired a younger, less expensive rising player for an older, more expensive declining player for the cost of Poehling. Other teams pay far more to move an increasingly unproductive contract. An excellent example of intuitive asset management.

Yeah it was all about asset management over need.

We had and still have a need at RD. We have too many LD's. Yet, Hughes traded an RD for an LD, because it had the potential to bring in the far better asset.

I hope we draft like this - ignore need in favor of talent/the better asset long term.

Reactions: themilosh

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As in that was his ultimate ceiling, i have no doubts hes going to end up on the third line soon.
6 years after he was drafted he hasn't shown much more than a serviceable 4th line player. I still like the player and I hope he does become a 3rd liner...

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yeah it was all about asset management over need.

We had and still have a need at RD. We have too many LD's. Yet, Hughes traded an RD for an LD, because it had the potential to bring in the far better asset.

I hope we draft like this - ignore need in favor of talent/the better asset long term.
An easy way to assess the merit of the trade: Today, how many teams would prefer Petry to Matheson?

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Hard to believe a player could look that good in WJC and flop so in NHL
Not really hard to believe. Many players that have looked like superstars during that tourney, have never amounted to anything at the professional level. They were actually playing at their full potential but no one knew that yet.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not really hard to believe. Many players that have looked like superstars during that tourney, have never amounted to anything at the professional level. They were actually playing at their full potential but no one knew that yet.
I think because WJC is just glorified all-star game. No system, team structure nor defense. Just a showcase of skill. It's different in NHL, when get face pushup against glass every night, getting hit by 220lb men. They have to learn systems, team structure, etc..

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Don't think Matheson is any better than Petry was here but this will be a win trade solely due to age and caphit.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He was overrated by some but was he a bad pick though? I wouldn't say so off the top of my head without looking at players drafted after him

Oettinger drafted one spot after him.. Jason Robertson drafted a few spots in the second round.

Frost, Tolvanen, and Jokiharju also drafted following him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Don't think Matheson is any better than Petry was here but this will be a win trade solely due to age and caphit.
But even looking at their current comparative levels of play, it’s not too farfetched to say that Matheson is now the equal of or may have even have surpassed Petry’s level of play and on-ice production. I thought Matheson was clearly our best player on the ice against a very mediocre Flyers team and gave a Petry-like performance, similar to those games a few years ago when Petry was often our best defenceman (player) . Great trade for many reasons.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zeeto and BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
He was overrated by some but was he a bad pick though? I wouldn't say so off the top of my head without looking at players drafted after him
He was projected to be an elite 3C as his ceiling. Everyone knew what they were getting.

Oettinger drafted one spot after him.. Jason Robertson drafted a few spots in the second round.

Frost, Tolvanen, and Jokiharju also drafted following him.
Robertson was the 2017 version of Aho - why did EVERY team pass on them in the 1st round?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00