Confirmed with Link: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 4th PIT 2023

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm aware of Stepens but I think they prefer to keep Laval strong.

Depends on what Petry and Poehling do with the Pens and how Matheson does with the Habs. 4th rounder hit? meh, we will see.

I was expecting more yes but the circumstances of the available cap space in the NHL has become worse.
Our fourth center is very fine. We are discussing here what happens if a non-playoff team like us gets injuries. Usually, what happens is that they play someone lousy and might drop a few points in the standings.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm aware of Stepens but I think they prefer to keep Laval strong.
Agreed but 5th centers are not hard to find. Pitlick and Hoffman have both played center, as has Byron (now injured). We also just signed two depth guys for Laval, one of whom played 27 games for Detroit last year and did nothing offensively but at least was only -8 compared to Ryan's -21 in double the games. In other words, this is all zero impact stuff.
It would be great if Mitchell Stephens could be an upgrade on Poehling. I remember him from his draft year - he was one of those guys taken real high on day 2. Does he have a good motor?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It would be great if Mitchell Stephens could be an upgrade on Poehling. I remember him from his draft year - he was one of those guys taken real high on day 2. Does he have a good motor?
Soft stats for a 33rd pick. Underwhelming D+1&2.

Four good games point wise in 5 years pro.

What the freakin heck is this signing?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

Does he play center? Looks like he was injured a bunch in his post-draft years. Hopefully he wasn't involved in that WJC controversy. He's a right-handed shot. I kind of like the signings him and Bowey. I mean, if Poehling is a depth center, than maybe this guy replaces him, right?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I think Stephens was signed mostly for the Rocket with possible call ups if injuries occur. He played last year in the NHL, and has had some NHL stints before, but most of his pro career has been spent in the AHL, where he's put up 84 pts in 135 AHL games.

Does he play center? Looks like he was injured a bunch in his post-draft years. Hopefully he wasn't involved in that WJC controversy. He's a right-handed shot. I kind of like the signings him and Bowey. I mean, if Poehling is a depth center, than maybe this guy replaces him, right?

Stephens wasn't on the 2018 WJC team. He played in that tournament in 2016 and 2017.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Well, if you have 19 forwards for Laval already I don't see the point of signing numbers 20 and 21 unless they are studs. Stephens does not look like a stud.
It will be interesting to see him play. I can't say I know him that well. I did think Laurent Dauphin was better than Poehling last year. Dauphin signed with the Coyotes this off-season so I wish him well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our fourth center is very fine. We are discussing here what happens if a non-playoff team like us gets injuries. Usually, what happens is that they play someone lousy and might drop a few points in the standings.

I'm happy with the top 4C's. It's the 5th center depth where I see potential issues and no, I rather not gut Laval that much. But yeah, it's a rebuild year and if one of our top 4c's get hurt, we probably move Pitlick in that spot even if he struggled at it last year? Hoffman or Byron? Possible yes.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I'm happy with the top 4C's. It's the 5th center depth where I see potential issues and no, I rather not gut Laval that much. But yeah, it's a rebuild year and if one of our top 4c's get hurt, we probably move Pitlick in that spot even if he struggled at it last year? Hoffman or Byron? Possible yes.
Well guys will come up from Laval if they deserve call ups. I mean some real interesting call-ups last year. Pezzetta, Dauphin, Poehling, Schueneman. You have to bring guys up when they deserve a call-up.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is Laval affected when the Habs have injuries? To a degree yes, but it is the same for all other AHL teams as well.

I highly doubt Laval gets literally gutted while all other teams lose no one.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Well, if you have 19 forwards for Laval already I don't see the point of signing numbers 20 and 21 unless they are studs. Stephens does not look like a stud.
Not sure why you're upset about the Stephens signing. He's a serviceable 4th line center or can play in Laval. We're not going for it this season and he doesn't cost us anything. He played some games for TB in the bubble when they won the Cup.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
If we need a 5th centre we can call someone from Laval. What’s the use of a farm team otherwise ?

Reactions: Redux91

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So by your own words, we did not lose in the trade. The error was extending Petry, or extending him too long, or extending him too high.

We no longer have what you believe is a big long-term contract on an aging player. Over the next three years, Matheson should provide more than the aging Petry would have and even if it is the same on the ice, Matheson is cheaper. In his fourth year with us, he will be only 31, whereas Petry will be turning 37 during his third year with the Pens.

Poehling is a replacement level player. For what he brings on the ice, it is not hard to find others with similar cap hits. In terms of compete level, he is not special either, which led to a disappointingly high number of goals against while he was on the ice, considering he rarely played against top offensive opponents nor had even a fair share of total minutes. Did not get noticeably better under MSL, and basically Evans took his spot.
Changed your tune on Petry quick didn't ya? Just two years ago you told me he would get Norris votes. Petry was on pace for 60 points under MSL. Matheson don't have that upside.

Same as Poehling. A former first round pick you once said he was one of our best prospects. A concussion then trapped under Ducharme you say he is replacement player level. He was showing signs under MSL.

You must change your opinion every time wind changes direction. Lol

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A bit late to the party but seems like a decent deal. Can't see Matheson being worse defensively than Petry,younger and freed up some coin to get Pitlick on board.

Reactions: Runner77

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Pittsburgh writer in the Athletic says Penguins tried for awhile to get Petry. Originally offered Peterson and a bottom 6 forward. Did not want to trade Matheson but ultimately moved Marino and the Matheson to get Petry.

It makes sense, since no one wants Petersson. But, his assessment of both the Penguins and the Canadiens is pretty homerific.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sure why you're upset about the Stephens signing. He's a serviceable 4th line center or can play in Laval. We're not going for it this season and he doesn't cost us anything. He played some games for TB in the bubble when they won the Cup.
Not upset, more just puzzled.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Changed your tune on Petry quick didn't ya? Just two years ago you told me he would get Norris votes. Petry was on pace for 60 points under MSL. Matheson don't have that upside.

Same as Poehling. A former first round pick you once said he was one of our best prospects. A concussion then trapped under Ducharme you say he is replacement player level. He was showing signs under MSL.

You must change your opinion every time wind changes direction. Lol
Two years ago Petry DID get Norris votes. Last year he was horrible the first half, but did get more points under MSL. Still his defensive play was disappointing for a guy of his experience.

Matheson's upside is not that of prime Petry, never said it was. But right now, at their respective ages this is a good deal for Habs, and if Jeff can somehow help them to a Cup this year, it could be good for Pittsburgh too.

I don't claim to have "called it" that Poehling would not work out. I had high hopes like many.

But today it is clear he is not going to be an impact NHLer, so his loss will not be felt very much, and if it helped get us younger on the back end and save a bit of money, I'm ok with it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Two years ago Petry DID get Norris votes. Last year he was horrible the first half, but did get more points under MSL. Still his defensive play was disappointing for a guy of his experience.

Matheson's upside is not that of prime Petry, never said it was. But right now, at their respective ages this is a good deal for Habs, and if Jeff can somehow help them to a Cup this year, it could be good for Pittsburgh too.

I don't claim to have "called it" that Poehling would not work out. I had high hopes like many.

But today it is clear he is not going to be an impact NHLer, so his loss will not be felt very much, and if it helped get us younger on the back end and save a bit of money, I'm ok with it.

I like that Matheson is on an upward trajectory and has some good tools. If he works out well, the deal should work put well for us, given the limited market for Petry at this point in time.

I wasn't ready to throw the towel in on Poehling as a winger with size and speed who, imo, showed signs he can play the game.

But management didn't want to give him a shot in the top 9 over a washed up over paid vet. So, we weren't going to find out here what he has and it was either him or Potlick. And I like Pitlick. I would have put one of Byron, Drouin, or Hoffman in Laval to give Poehling a shot on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad