Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 2023 4th round pick

Jul 6, 2016
Taking on Matheson's contract and giving up Petry was a really bad deal for the Habs. It's probably the worst one I've seen them make after Bergevin got deservedly shit-canned.
Petry did not want to play ever again for MTL (thanks to his wife).....

Matheson showed great stuff in the minimal time he had at te Camp before being injured. Great fast skater and good enough stickhandler.

Worst trade was Lehkonen for Barron.

• Love
Reactions: Natey and zeeto

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I love how Hab fans thought that they were going to get a 1st round pick for Petry, And yet the best they could do was Matheson and a 4th round pick. Petry probably had his mind on Pittsburgh. And Hexy wasn't going to give up too much for him.
I love how mainboard thought Chiarot wouldn't get a 1st. I wasn't a fan of the trade at the time, but Matheson is a valuable player to the Habs would have no smooth-skating vet dmen anymore.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I love how mainboard thought Chiarot wouldn't get a 1st. I wasn't a fan of the trade at the time, but Matheson is a valuable player to the Habs would have no smooth-skating vet dmen anymore.

I’d wait until you see him play until you call him valuable. But I agree he is fairly played for what he brings offensively regardless of how he is miscast with the role he is going to be forced into.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I’d wait until you see him play until you call him valuable. But I agree he is fairly played for what he brings offensively regardless of how he is miscast with the role he is going to be forced into.
I'm not expecting him to be a Cale Makar, but a smooth skating #4 dman to help a defense filled with younger players is definitely valuable to the Habs. I'm sure Hughes is trying to find someone else like him right now due to the inexperience of the blueline.

Reactions: malcb33

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not expecting him to be a Cale Makar, but a smooth skating #4 dman to help a defense filled with younger players is definitely valuable to the Habs. I'm sure Hughes is trying to find someone else like him right now due to the inexperience of the blueline.

Matheson seems like an extremely character person and he is super fun to watch. He just feels like such a case of every goal he scores ends with a goal going the other way.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Matheson seems like an extremely character person and he is super fun to watch. He just feels like such a case of every goal he scores ends with a goal going the other way.
In terms of sheer value, a 1st is more valuable, but Habs would rather have him as a way to help out younger players by eating big minutes and being a placeholder.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Outside factors and he just wanted a change of scenery. The Pens were talking at the draft so this was in the works awhile. His family is in Michigan and that is reasonably close to them. Habs did nothing wrong here. Just a tough year for those who had family limited by Covid rules in Canada.

Reactions: zeeto

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Tbh could see Matheson having a Petry like jump later in his career. Maybe he won’t peak as a 1D like Petry did in 2020-21 but 10 goals and 40 pts in heavy minutes seems within reach. He was very good last year, even in the postseason playing top pair.

Reactions: Chose

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Tbh could see Matheson having a Petry like jump later in his career. Maybe he won’t peak as a 1D like Petry did in 2020-21 but 10 goals and 40 pts in heavy minutes seems within reach. He was very good last year, even in the postseason playing top pair.
Geez that sounds a lot like how Petry looked when we got him at the exact same age.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
When Math is on you're going to think "holy shit look at him skate up the ice and make moves in the offensive zone!!"...then he will do something and your erection will become soft.
Hm he better take some 5 hour energy then :D

• Haha
Reactions: 66-30-33

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I like him a lot for what his role is on our team.

Pretty sure he is riding the pine when we are healthy though which stinks.
Really had high hopes for him. For a bit I had him higher than Suzuki on the prospect depth chart for the Habs. He was much better in the world juniors than Suzuki. Really shows how we shouldn’t overate that tournament

I love how Hab fans thought that they were going to get a 1st round pick for Petry, And yet the best they could do was Matheson and a 4th round pick. Petry probably had his mind on Pittsburgh. And Hexy wasn't going to give up too much for him.

Flat cap era cost the habs proper value without a doubt.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Are you sure that's not because Montreal played colossally bad hockey across the board last year? We're talking worst team in the league by a longshot man.
*cough*

Wasn't just a Montreal thing. Happened in Edmonton too.

Luckily, he's a top caliber defenseman more often than not. But the bad is really bad.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Is this really going to be bumped every game? He had a bad game - so did most Pens, including Crosby, and they lost in OT.

Reactions: malcb33

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
3 penalties and a street pylon impression against his old team. Dark money at play?

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Hard to evaluate this trade, im confident that Matheson will turn it on when he returns.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Are you sure that's not because Montreal played colossally bad hockey across the board last year? We're talking worst team in the league by a longshot man.

1. Petry, like many D-men, runs hot and cold.
2. Montreal wasn't worst by a longshot, they barely had a worse record than Arizona and were generally better in most predicitve categories.
3. The whole thing with Petry was that he was awful in the 1st half and one of the best D-men in the NHL once Ducharme was fired and MSL took over.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
Wasn't Matheson a 1st round pick ? Isn't he still developping into a good player ? I mean, 20+ minutes per game is pretty solid. A younger Petry sounds like a good evaluation...

Like it was said, he could pretty much pull a Petry and become a better player than he was in Florida, was already better as a Pen...

And Petry can... get older and older...

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I love how non-Hab fans thought there was no way the Canadiens would be able to trade Petry, unless they were willing to retain 50%. Some didn't even think Petry could be moved with 50% retention.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
I love how non-Hab fans thought there was no way the Canadiens would be able to trade Petry, unless they were willing to retain 50%. Some didn't even think Petry could be moved with 50% retention.
non Habs fans are worse at evaluating Habs players compared to Habs fans...as hard as that is to imagine!

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Pens fans getting down on Petry already (phrasing) may want to reevaluate
Petry eyetest 3 games.png

from Knee-jerk reactions from the Pittsburgh Penguins first three games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad