Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 2023 4th round pick

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Are you sure that's not because Montreal played colossally bad hockey across the board last year? We're talking worst team in the league by a longshot man.
Petry is a good defenseman, but he was a big part of the team collapse last year.
He was expected to be the team number one defender, but he threw the coach and some teamates under the bus while playing like shit himself. I think he's a good player but needs strong leadership group to play his best. A bit similar to Pacioretty in that aspect.

Petry fits the Pens time frame and is a nice add as a RH D who can play at both ends of the ice. Matheson is a talented D man as to his skating and offensive instincts. But he makes mistakes in pushing that sometimes and his net front is not very physical. But in a 6 man rotation, he can be very effective. Good trade for both teams so as a Pens fan it was what the Dr. ordered. Sullivan and Hextall knew they needed to add more size and some physical presence in Petry and Rutta and both will be nice additions.
Yes, I think Pitts did very good with that trade.
The habs didn't want to retain for 3 years which limited their options.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Correct sully said he a really good number 2 D man. He is behind Letang and Pens like his game. He also allows Letang to lower his TOI which is important to keeping the D men fresher. Letang left up to him would play 26 minutes but Petry and Rutta can help give Letang the 20 minutes which he should be at now.

Reactions: Giskard

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I still don't understand why Hughes made this trade other than to appease Petry who appeared to want out.

As good as Matheson has been in pre-season (and he has been terrific), the Habs need a veteran puck-moving presence on RHD to support the likes of Guhle, Harris and Xhejac who are all LHD. Trading Petry left a gaping hold on the right side.

Reactions: Z-Diddy and malcb33

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I still don't understand why Hughes made this trade other than to appease Petry who appeared to want out.

As good as Matheson has been in pre-season (and he has been terrific), the Habs need a veteran puck-moving presence on RHD to support the likes of Guhle, Harris and Xhejac who are all LHD. Trading Petry left a gaping hold on the right side.
Maybe petry was trash in the room. Really liked him as a player and Pittsburgh got a few good years left I'm sure

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I mean, didn't you just answer your own question? If a player wants out and his play reflects his attitude about wanting to play for that team, why *wouldn't* the GM trade him and bring in someone who wants to be there?

The alternative is to hang onto someone whose heart isn't in it and you get a lousy performance.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Your first sentence answered your question

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007

Not only did Petry want out, he is an older player with a pretty big contract. Matheson will be younger when his contract expires than Petry is today.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Not only did Petry want out, he is an older player with a pretty big contract. Matheson will be younger when his contract expires than Petry is today.
Neither one will contribute to a winning Habs team.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

He had the drive of a Sloth last year. Watching his goalie get run is my last memory of anything significant since the playoff run. Good player when he’s happy for sure.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
USA players had to deal with Canadian issues as to Covid. The decisions were not conducive to family visiting or travel from US. Petry just wasn't happy with the inability to see or have some semblance of home life like in prior years. It wasn't about his hockey or play as much as the lock down mentality last year.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Petry has looked really impressive for the Pens so far.

He's a great player but his play with the Habs was affected by his home life hence the requested trade.

Canada went really strict on covid rules and they had them for a while, so Petrys family went back to the states while he was here so the kids could be in school, see their grandparents, etc.

Reactions: The Grim Reaper

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Petry is probably the most inconsistent skater in the league.
Skating is probably the best thing about him - i think he means his play is inconsistant. I havent seen him in Pittsburgh, but he was pretty solid before last year IMO. I think his issue came with the stress of being #1 D when it became apparent that Weber was done. Before that, even when Weber was injured, he played more or less like a #1 - i think it is mental for him. He should do fine in Pitts as Letang has that spot.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Skating is probably the best thing about him - i think he means his play is inconsistant. I havent seen him in Pittsburgh, but he was pretty solid before last year IMO. I think his issue came with the stress of being #1 D when it became apparent that Weber was done. Before that, even when Weber was injured, he played more or less like a #1 - i think it is mental for him. He should do fine in Pitts as Letang has that spot.

Aye. Skater: as in non-goaltender.

If Petry decides to play to his potential, watch out. He could be a force.

Reactions: Gaud

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Taking on Matheson's contract and giving up Petry was a really bad deal for the Habs. It's probably the worst one I've seen them make after Bergevin got deservedly shit-canned.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

So they were supposed to trade him for another top pairing right handed PMD.......? They are very rare, Matheson was a solid return as he is a fantastic skater and may be on the verge of realizing his potential which is a legitimate top pairing D. That is not necessarily likely but given the age difference with Petry it was an astute move that works for both teams.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad