Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 2023 4th round pick

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
People are looking at this as a black and white situation. Petry can and certainly does play the body sometimes. He can dish out some decent hits. He shies away from a lot of other contact though. That's why a lot of Habs fans think he's soft.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He doesn't need to be Brooks Orpik out there, he just needs to use his 6'3", 210 lbs size and throw some hits and box out offensive players. He clearly did that tonight and it's been something he has shown with the Penguins so far.

Petry is probably the most inconsistent skater in the league.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
People are looking at this as a black and white situation. Petry can and certainly does play the body sometimes. He can dish out some decent hits. He shies away from a lot of other contact though. That's why a lot of Habs fans think he's soft.
I think the whole Kassian running over Montembault and him pretending he didn't see it, left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. I agree, he does play the body, and he can throw some good hard hits. He will take the man in front and give some abuse there as well... Overall he's not a bruiser, but will play a physical game. Will never drop the gloves though and will do anything/everything to avoid fighting.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think the whole Kassian running over Montembault and him pretending he didn't see it, left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. I agree, he does play the body, and he can throw some good hard hits. He will take the man in front and give some abuse there as well... Overall he's not a bruiser, but will play a physical game. Will never drop the gloves though and will do anything/everything to avoid fighting.
I totally agree. He has a physical aspect to his game, but it certainly isn't his focus.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Petry's flaw has always been his inconsistency. Some nights he's terrific, other nights he's in a fog. I think he has every 'tool' necessary for sustained success but it never becomes sustained and automatic. Sadly for all, his performance and attitude last year were unacceptable and so he had to leave the club. The relationship had broken down. It's not fair to entirely blame him because he had family issues and we should respect the toll that takes but at the end of the day every Habs fan is entitled to be happy he's gone... he put up a lot of duds last year, let's leave it at that.

Obviously as a Habs fan I'm wishing him well now and it speaks a lot to how much faith Hextall had in Petry with their gamble on him. I hope he thrives and kicks ass.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Petry is probably the most inconsistent skater in the league.
Lol what?!

Petry's flaw has always been his inconsistency. Some nights he's terrific, other nights he's in a fog. I think he has every 'tool' necessary for sustained success but it never becomes sustained and automatic. Sadly for all, his performance and attitude last year were unacceptable and so he had to leave the club. The relationship had broken down. It's not fair to entirely blame him because he had family issues and we should respect the toll that takes but at the end of the day every Habs fan is entitled to be happy he's gone... he put up a lot of duds last year, let's leave it at that.

Obviously as a Habs fan I'm wishing him well now and it speaks a lot to how much faith Hextall had in Petry with their gamble on him. I hope he thrives and kicks ass.
Inconsistency was never Petry issue - except for last year. Prior to that, he was actually very consistent

Reactions: HabbyGuy

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Lol what?!

Inconsistency was never Petry issue - except for last year. Prior to that, he was actually very consistent
I disagree. He was 2 games good 1 game terrible 2 games great 2 games bad during his entire time with the Habs. It's not a surprise he was best when Weber was around because when he had off-nights it was less noticeable.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Some nights he looks like a top 5 dman. Does it all: hitting, pk, offense.
Other nights, not so much.
Are you sure that's not because Montreal played colossally bad hockey across the board last year? We're talking worst team in the league by a longshot man.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Petry was one of the favorites (maybe even #1) for the Norris halfway into the season just a year earlier....he's really good

Last year was a complete nightmare - both for him and many other Habs. But you don't forget to play overnight. I always thought he still had a lot to give and I think Pittsburgh is a great fit for him.

Pen fans are going to really like him this year

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree. He was 2 games good 1 game terrible 2 games great 2 games bad during his entire time with the Habs. It's not a surprise he was best when Weber was around because when he had off-nights it was less noticeable.

Not really correct. Petry actually made a name for himself when Weber got injured. The sample size of Petry's production without Weber in the line-up is more than a few games too.

Petry's issue is he is not the type to groom or mentor his playing partner. When he is asked to mentor guys like Beaulieu, Romanov, Reilly, it don't end up well. However, play him with Emelin, Markov, Eddy, or Chiarot types and the results are different.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Not really correct. Petry actually made a name for himself when Weber got injured. The sample size of Petry's production without Weber in the line-up is more than a few games too.

Petry's issue is he is not the type to groom or mentor his playing partner. When he is asked to mentor guys like Beaulieu, Romanov, Reilly, it don't end up well. However, play him with Emelin, Markov, Eddy, or Chiarot types and the results are different.
Petry made a name for himself because he was doing a very good job replacing a player who was better than him. But he was never capable of being #1 for a reason -- and it isn't his lack of tools.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry made a name for himself because he was doing a very good job replacing a player who was better than him. But he was never capable of being #1 for a reason -- and it isn't his lack of tools.

That's not the conversation... you said Petry looks good cause we had Weber. False. Petry played very well for us when Weber was injured.

Nobody is calling Petry a #1 guy. He's a very solid #3 or #4 guy on a deep core.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Petry was one of the favorites (maybe even #1) for the Norris halfway into the season just a year earlier....he's really good

Last year was a complete nightmare - both for him and many other Habs. But you don't forget to play overnight. I always thought he still had a lot to give and I think Pittsburgh is a great fit for him.

Pen fans are going to really like him this year
As a Pens fan I'm ecstatic to have him. He's the first guy we've had to help scale Letang's minutes back without concern.

He's 2RD but as last night showed will be our #2D in terms of TOI. He's gonna do good things here.

Poehling also looks decent as a plug n play guy.

Hope Matheson gets healthy and does alright for the Habs. I liked him even with all his warts.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
As a Pens fan I'm ecstatic to have him. He's the first guy we've had to help scale Letang's minutes back without concern.

He's 2RD but as last night showed will be our #2D in terms of TOI. He's gonna do good things here.

Poehling also looks decent as a plug n play guy.

Hope Matheson gets healthy and does alright for the Habs. I liked him even with all his warts.
Happy to hear there doing well, poehling always struck me as a 3rd/4th line tweener, and Petry is a solid 2 that fits with your cores timeline.

I'm still a nova scotian at heart so hope sid can still grab you guys one more run

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Happy to hear there doing well, poehling always struck me as a 3rd/4th line tweener, and Petry is a solid 2 that fits with your cores timeline.

I'm still a nova scotian at heart so hope sid can still grab you guys one more run
We have a small shot at it. If anyone deserves a 4th cup Sid does. Never understood people holding disdain for the guy. He's been at the top of this league for near 2 decades and has an ultra down to Earth demeanor.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
If Mike Sullivan thinks Petry is a top 2 defenseman on any team in the league, then maybe we should question his judgement.

Also, do we need an update after 1 game?

I was just thinking how amusing and/or annoying it is that so many trade threads were bumped after the first game of the season. People have been itching to be validated I guess lol

Petry will be a key player if the Penguins make one more run, which I think they are certainly capable of.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petry fits the Pens time frame and is a nice add as a RH D who can play at both ends of the ice. Matheson is a talented D man as to his skating and offensive instincts. But he makes mistakes in pushing that sometimes and his net front is not very physical. But in a 6 man rotation, he can be very effective. Good trade for both teams so as a Pens fan it was what the Dr. ordered. Sullivan and Hextall knew they needed to add more size and some physical presence in Petry and Rutta and both will be nice additions.

Reactions: Giskard and jfhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad