Confirmed Trade: [PIT/FLA] Colton Sceviour and Mike Matheson for Patric Hornqvist

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Another win trade for JR. he’s going for another Cup, which is what a smart GM does that has star players. He supports them.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I am not surprised. Hornqvist wasn't getting used on the 1st PP for much of the year and not in our top 6. It is hard to keep a $5.3 million cap hit with the usage he was getting as a 3rd line player. At soon to be 34 and without very good speed it was time to move on. Kapanen was added as a RW this off-season and he brings a ton of speed and is 10 years younger than Hornqvist.

Matheson is a risk but at 26 and past years of 21+ minutes a game plus 8-10 goals a year and 27 points in two of the past 3 season's is a good player to bet on. Pens have a great track record with these types of defenseman such as Niskanen, Daley, and Schultz. All of those defenseman did terrible for the teams before the trade to the Pens and all did well fairly quickly for us. I think it is a good chance he works out for the Pens and is much better for us than people think. I will go on record that he eventually beats out Pettersson for that 2nd pairing defense spot next to Marino.

Wasn’t JJ also a reclamation project? Gudbranson?

I agree with reclamation projects but this is a risky one as the term is really long, so if we can’t make it work, we’ll give an asset to get him off our books (if that is even possible). Again, look at JJ.

Daley/Schultz/Nisky were relatively cheap contracts with a lot less term. Lower risk.

I think it comes down to not having a choice but to go down this path. No matter how risky it is.

Reactions: Laus723

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wasn’t JJ also a reclamation project? Gudbranson?

I agree with reclamation projects but this is a risky one as the term is really long, so if we can’t make it work, we’ll give an asset to get him off our books (if that is even possible). Again, look at JJ.

Daley/Schultz/Nisky were relatively cheap contracts with a lot less term. Lower risk.

I think it comes down to not having a choice but to go down this path. No matter how risky it is.
Risk is needed to win... they know how to win...its not about 4 years from now its now.... i liked the trade until they added a bottom 6 guy... he seems serviceable so I hope this means ZAR is gone

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Risk is needed to win... they know how to win...its not about 4 years from now its now.... i liked the trade until they added a bottom 6 guy... he seems serviceable so I hope this means ZAR is gone

Remember that ZAR is out until at least February so he needed to be replaced one way or another until then. Ideally by someone who can knock him off the depth chart entirely...not sure if Sceviour, who will be about to turn 32 around the time ZAR comes back, is the guy who does that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Reactions: domaug and cvrle1

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Patric Hornqvist Puts His Penguins Equipment in Driveway

Guess it’s safe to say Patrick is pretty upset with the trade.

x3PoLIn.gif

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
Cant get mad when you get younger. Pens needed a change and a 5.3 million dollar 34 year old injury prone, point declining winger signed for 3 more years was not going to fly. I know many a pens fan wanting to offload his contract because it was too much. Matheson is a mobile D man that fills out our bottom pairing and pretty much seals JJs fate of being moved or waived which is a win in itself. Cant really see how this is such a terrible trade when you fill two roster slots ...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Reactions: Laus723 and cvrle1

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
From the article:

I don't know why anyone believes anything that idiot Kingerski writes about.

Almost anyone who has played hockey saw that pic and likely thought “dude is airing out his gear” since it’s so f***ing common to do.

I can’t stop laughing that guy wants clicks bad enough that he tried to make that a story.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Almost anyone who has played hockey saw that pic and likely thought “dude is airing out his gear” since it’s so f***ing common to do.

I can’t stop laughing that guy wants clicks bad enough that he tried to make that a story.

It's actually pathetic. But also not surprising, given the source.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
A lose-lose trade for everyone.

FL gets a guy whose body continues to crumble, signed for too much cap while the Penguins get one of the worst contracts for a healthy scratch. I think FL loses less since Hornqvist isn’t signed to an eternity like Matheson.

Reactions: domaug

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
A lose-lose trade for everyone.

FL gets a guy whose body continues to crumble, signed for too much cap while the Penguins get one of the worst contracts for a healthy scratch. I think FL loses less since Hornqvist isn’t signed to an eternity like Matheson.

it’s definitely not a loss for the Panthers, anyway you slice it, could also work out to be a win for the Pens.

Reactions: Ratsreign

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Panthers win because Matheson clearly wasnt working there. They get to add some heart & soul. An expensive heart & soul but its certainly something they can use.

Pens can win because Hornqvist is old and slow and an expensive 3rd liner while Matheson even with the warts is better than JMFJ. If the can iron out some of the turnovers they could do pretty well in general.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Remember that ZAR is out until at least February so he needed to be replaced one way or another until then. Ideally by someone who can knock him off the depth chart entirely...not sure if Sceviour, who will be about to turn 32 around the time ZAR comes back, is the guy who does that.
That's fine but too much salary for one spot... won't work...d9nt be shocked if ZAR and Simon are moved ..

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Another head scratcher for Penguins and JR.

Matheson is a replacement player to me with one of the worst contracts in the league. To me he's essentially younger JJ who can skate fast.

Sure but Hornqvist is dead weight and most likely will be out of the league in 2 years.

Not a bad trade for the Pens to be honest.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Kingerski is a bullshit source. He was probably just airing out his equipment.

But if that is true, not a good look for Hornqvist. Dude had the power to kill any trade, but he doesn't and then throws a tantrum about being traded? Just kill the trade if you want to stay so bad.
He’s never wearing that gear again. No need to air it out. It’s about to get donated

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00