:stars
Phil Kessel - NMC
(RW | 31 y/o 6.8M through 2022)
2018-2019: 21G 41A| 62pts

:pens
Alexander Radulov - NMC
(RW | 32 y/o 6.25M through 2022)
2012-2019: 15G 31A| 46pts

Both clubs have expressed interest in what each player represents. Dallas has expressed interest in finding a goal scorer(s) and Pittsburgh [management] has expressed interest all year about getting a power forward.

Seems more of a summer theoretical but wonder how conflicted the consensus would be. From the Pens perspective: Radulov has chemistry with Geno and would slot nicely on any of the first three lines. Would also be less of a defensive liability than the Kessel/Geno pairing.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Intriguing, but probably a no.

How about Benn for Malkin and a 5th in 2020?

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
I like the speed Kessel would bring to Dallas, would fit well with Hintz and Gurionav. And there is no substitute for playoff experience. As a bonus, the whole Kessel/Seguin backstory is humorous

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I "met" Radulov at the McDonalds in Hermitage TN before he was flying out. I ran into him as he held a Big Mac in his right hand and napkins in his left hand. His face was covered in sauce and his mouth was open with masticated BigMac inside. He looked to be going for more napkins. Our faces almost touched.

I'll never forget that image.

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Given the difference in production I think Dallas adds. It's interesting I guess. I'm not sure it makes Pittsburgh a better team though.

Reactions: Trade

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So the Penguins get older, slower, and take on more cap space. What else would Dallas have to throw in here to make this work? Prospect + a pick? There is no way that this trade would happen.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like too lateral of a move.

I think if the Penguins move Kessel it *should* be for both futures and to possibly dump some salary (like throw Johnson into the deal), and to then use that salary in free agency and the futures to extend their cup window.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
While I'd laugh at the idea of Seguin and Kessel finally playing on the same team, likely even the same line, losing Radulov would make this a lateral move at best.

Dallas's offense is more miss than hit, lately, and moving one of their top scorers is not the best way to address the issue.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
So the Penguins get older, slower, and take on more cap space. What else would Dallas have to throw in here to make this work? Prospect + a pick? There is no way that this trade would happen.

31 vs 32 years old shouldn't even be mentioned. Kessel has a higher cap hit so we actually shed 550k and they're both signed to 2022.

Seems like too lateral of a move.

I think if the Penguins move Kessel it *should* be for both futures and to possibly dump some salary (like throw Johnson into the deal), and to then use that salary in free agency and the futures to extend their cup window.

Production - we lose some. However, this is not lateral in the sense they play a different game. If we have to move Radulov down to the third line - he doesn't look out of place like Kessel often does. You also don't have to saddle a defensive C or LW on any line Radulov plays which would open up roster maneuverability for Sully (which we know he loves)

While I'd laugh at the idea of Seguin and Kessel finally playing on the same team, likely even the same line, losing Radulov would make this a lateral move at best.

Dallas's offense is more miss than hit, lately, and moving one of their top scorers is not the best way to address the issue.

Kessel is the better scorer of the two. Lateral move in the sense of age/contract hit/position - but Phil is the faster skater and better goal scorer. With the frequency of articles touching up on Dallas' offense I figured that would prove a pretty solid move.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
31 vs 32 years old shouldn't even be mentioned. Kessel has a higher cap hit so we actually shed 550k and they're both signed to 2022.

Production - we lose some. However, this is not lateral in the sense they play a different game. If we have to move Radulov down to the third line - he doesn't look out of place like Kessel often does. You also don't have to saddle a defensive C or LW on any line Radulov plays which would open up roster maneuverability for Sully (which we know he loves)

Kessel is the better scorer of the two. Lateral move in the sense of age/contract hit/position - but Phil is the faster skater and better goal scorer. With the frequency of articles touching up on Dallas' offense I figured that would prove a pretty solid move.

A case could certainly be made that Kessel > Radulov, but you're still just replacing one scoring winger with another. Dallas needs to ADD talent, not just (possibly) improve on what they already have. Adding Kessel while losing Radulov keeps Dallas a one-line team, for the most part, unless Coach Montgomery splits up his top guns again. Doesn't seem to work all that often, though.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I, personally, dont like Radulov. I cant stand him. But I can see why the idea is out there.

That aside, Id rather have Kessel anyway.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
It is not always about who is better it is about who meshes with the players they currently play with. Disrupting that while we are still in the hunt is stupid. Lets not also forget that who Kessel play with on the PP and 5 on 5 to help boost those numbers.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I "met" Radulov at the McDonalds in Hermitage TN before he was flying out. I ran into him as he held a Big Mac in his right hand and napkins in his left had. His face was covered in sauce and his mouth was open with masticated BigMac inside. He looked to be going for more napkins. Our faces almost touched.

I'll never forget that image.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

This story had so many levels to it, not unlike the layers of a Big Mac itself. Bravo.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Given the difference in production I think Dallas adds. It's interesting I guess. I'm not sure it makes Pittsburgh a better team though.

There's not a whole lot of production difference. OP makes it look that way, but Radulov has 46 points in 49 games this season. He was injured for a bit at the beginning of the year and missed 10 games. And that's on an extremely weak Dallas offense.

I don't think this deal really makes Dallas much better though. We need to add more top 6 forwards, not swap them. I also don't get why the Penguins would want to get rid of Kessel

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Kessel is the better of the two, so why do this? even with that in mind, not sure why Dallas does it either. sounds like they need to add offense, not do a swap.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rads is a probably a lesser player. But my god would he crush it with Sid.

This is guy goes all out every shift I've seen of his. An absolute beast at grinding.

I'd do this trade. The production difference will be made up by Radulov's compete level and defensive play.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB

Well good thing trade value isn't determined solely by production then. Radulov is the more complete player, If I'm Dallas I don't give him up in this deal.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Kessel chose 1 team to waive for, Pittsburgh.....Capfriendly still shows he has a MTC/NMC....any word on him waiving again?
Phil Kessel - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

He signed that NMC in Toronto obviously... so this isn't a situation where the player signed a long term deal with a team with no intentions of ever leaving. Complete rumors - but during the summer he was allegedly okay waiving for a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad