Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D John Marino signs extension (6 years, $4.4M AAV)

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
You don’t luck out on hockey sense. His defensive impact was extraordinary.

You’re calling Rutherford a moron for being shortsighted yet you are criticizing Marino based on a sample size of 6 games in the most random NHL environment in a long time.

You can luck out 1yr. Marino was no stud in all his career before last season. Seems like his back to the real him now. Doesnt really help when he knows he got his payday already. Usually you plan contracts so the players knows he has to do better every year to earn abigger check. Marino got it all on a silver plate, so he really doesnt have to progress anymore. He is set for life by a moronic GM.
I said this when the contract was signed and it actually looks like I was right when said it. Everyone else thought it was "The steal of the century". Doesnt seem like that now, does it?

Reactions: Waivers

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You can luck out 1yr. Marino was no stud in all his career before last season. Seems like his back to the real him now. Doesnt really help when he knows he got his payday already. Usually you plan contracts so the players knows he has to do better every year to earn abigger check. Marino got it all on a silver plate, so he really doesnt have to progress anymore. He is set for life by a moronic GM.
I said this when the contract was signed and it actually looks like I was right when said it. Everyone else thought it was "The steal of the century". Doesnt seem like that now, does it?

You don’t luck out defensively. Name one player who was elite defensively their first year and then stopped. You watch a lot of Marino in college?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
You don’t luck out defensively. Name one player who was elite defensively their first year and then stopped. You watch a lot of Marino in college?

They guy has had 1 good seaon on any facet and that was last year, his first NHL-season. I havent seen anyone beeing offered a contract this big before without years of beeing extraordinery. Marino has shown 1yr of good hockey. Thats it. The rest of the pack thats been good in their first years of NHL all have been very good their whole career on other facets. Marino has never been a standout before, so you cant compare him to theese guys. Also, all others have to play the NHL for atleast 3yrs before they get their RFA contracts. This was a silverplate for a ?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I still am glad we dumped MAF.. what?

Marino is having a slump but not to degree where contract is a regret. He was very very good to close out the Rangers.

I think most Pens fans agree that he’s trying and pressing too hard.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Heh, cool down. A bit of sophomore slump, yes. But the Penguins have 5 regular dmen injured now and Marino si playing his off-side on a pair with Cody Ceci. If this team is ever healthy and Marino settles on 2nd pair on his natural side he will be just fine. All the talent is still there. Even yesterday, embarrassing first two periods, then completely dominates the 3rd and OT. He will be fine after all.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They guy has had 1 good seaon on any facet and that was last year, his first NHL-season. I havent seen anyone beeing offered a contract this big before without years of beeing extraordinery. Marino has shown 1yr of good hockey. Thats it. The rest of the pack thats been good in their first years of NHL all have been very good their whole career on other facets. Marino has never been a standout before, so you cant compare him to theese guys. Also, all others have to play the NHL for atleast 3yrs before they get their RFA contracts. This was a silverplate for a ?

Just name one defenseman who was elite defensively in their first season and fell off.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Marino was never considered a blue chip prospect. He was very good as a top 4D last season but it was incredibly risky to give such a big contract after one year from a guy who wasn't expected to be that good right away. There are countless examples of one year wonders. So far Marino has not looked good after his big pay day

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Marino was never considered a blue chip prospect. He was very good as a top 4D last season but it was incredibly risky to give such a big contract after one year from a guy who wasn't expected to be that good right away. There are countless examples of one year wonders. So far Marino has not looked good after his big pay day

Just name one defenseman out of the countless examples who were elite defensively but then forgot how. There are countless examples after all?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Just name one defenseman out of the countless examples who were elite defensively but then forgot how. There are countless examples after all?
This "elite" defensively over a small sample really should stop...

You really want me to name the top 4D who never improved or got worse? I mean, Marino is showing this already...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This "elite" defensively over a small sample really should stop...

You really want me to name the top 4D who never improved or got worse? I mean, Marino is showing this already...

No name me a defenseman who’s primary tool was hockey sense, and had an individual elite defensive impact, and then fell off.

But sure, if it’s easier name the top 4 defensemen out of the gate who got worse and we can see if they’re comparable.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No name me a defenseman who’s primary tool was hockey sense, and had an individual elite defensive impact, and then fell off.

But sure, if it’s easier name the top 4 defensemen out of the gate who got worse and we can see if they’re comparable.
Why do you think Marino has been so bad so far then if he has "elite" hockey sense? Is it that maybe his whole ~60 games of NHL experience was very overrated?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011

If Marinos primary toll would have been hockey sense, he would have a lot better stats in his last Harvard year than 0,33ppg. He actually regressed from the years before. And he wasnt anything special before that either. 1 good year and now hes a star? Lucked out, silverplate, life is set.
Look at Tony deAngelo - Last year 68gp and 53p!!! He has actually been good all his career and where is he now? WAIWERS. I`l have a good laugh in 2yrs when Marino is there and most in this thread eat crow.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It’s been 6 bad games during a wonky season where his whole team is a mess defensively and he’s playing his off-side because of injuries.

Can you guys name ONE defenseman who had elite defensive stats in his rookie year and then stopped being good? Can you just name one?

There is no one that has been mediocre his whole career as Marino, that suddenly exploded his first NHL-season - dont you get that! He LUCKED out when given a chance as a 22yr old! All bluechip D:s are actually playing as 18-20yr olds. They usually have succeeded in juniors, unlike Marino. Even Oilers didnt believe in this kid and he got a chance from the Penguins and made it work. Even in college he wasnt anything special as an 21yr old! There is not many comparables here. I dont believe he is the real deal and its starting to show!
He is the Ville Leino of defensemen.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
There is no one that has been mediocre his whole career as Marino, that suddenly exploded his first NHL-season - dont you get that! He LUCKED out when given a chance as a 22yr old! All bluechip D:s are actually playing as 18-20yr olds. They usually have succeeded in juniors, unlike Marino. Even Oilers didnt believe in this kid and he got a chance from the Penguins and made it work. Even in college he wasnt anything special as an 21yr old! There is not many comparables here. I dont believe he is the real deal and its starting to show!
He is the Ville Leino of defensemen.

He was buried behind two blue chippers in Harvard. He didn't want to sign in Edmonton. And many great D prospects aren't playing at 18-20. What a mess.

Reactions: Riptide

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He was buried behind two blue chippers in Harvard. He didn't want to sign in Edmonton. And many great D prospects aren't playing at 18-20. What a mess.

You would expect that he would have better numbers in Harvard playing behind the guys that do the heavy lifting if hes that good wouldnt you? He did not. I dont believe in him. I think he is overpayed and had a lucky season and the GM bought it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And it's fine to call his contract an unmitigated bust over a much much smaller sample size?

Maybe we can pump the brakes across the board here.
I've never once said that. Im saying its hilarious to see so many Pens fans saying their is no risk to giving an expensive and long term contract to a guy with 60 NHL games and no history of being elite at any level prior. We're seeing so far this season why that's not true

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I've never once said that. Im saying its hilarious to see so many Pens fans saying their is no risk to giving an expensive and long term contract to a guy with 60 NHL games and no history of being elite at any level prior. We're seeing so far this season why that's not true

Its not an expensive contract.

And he can live up to it even with severe career regression from his rookie year level.

Thats why its really isnt that risky.

He can be Ollie Maata and live up to this contract. Btw hes better than olli maata.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Its not an expensive contract.

And he can live up to it even with severe career regression from his rookie year level.

Thats why its really isnt that risky.

He can be Ollie Maata and live up to this contract. Btw hes better than olli maata.
Over $4M is expensive of he plays like he has so far this season

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
You would expect that he would have better numbers in Harvard playing behind the guys that do the heavy lifting if hes that good wouldnt you? He did not. I dont believe in him. I think he is overpayed and had a lucky season and the GM bought it.

Not really. The big guns get the PP time and play behind the top scoring lines. It's not like it's a case where a forward can feast on 3rd pairing defense pairs.

That said, I don't expect him to ever put up big numbers, but being a solid two-way guy is still great value for the contract assuming he gets out of his sophomore slump.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Over $4M is expensive of he plays like he has so far this season

And it's cheap AF if he plays like he did last season. He'll likely fall somewhere in-between, which would be more than fair.

He didn't put up numbers in college due to their depth, but he was always solid defensively and a great skater.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And it's cheap AF if he plays like he did last season. He'll likely fall somewhere in-between, which would be more than fair.

He didn't put up numbers in college due to their depth, but he was always solid defensively and a great skater.
Guess we'll see, but hasnt looked good at all this season and absolutely a risk

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

its been 9 games, in which he's playing on his off side.

also there was no real training camp. its a weird season. I wouldn't take too much from it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad