Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D John Marino signs extension (6 years, $4.4M AAV)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't agree that Marino has been "good" so far this year, he's had a few good games and a few bad games this year, but it's been 4 games and it's absolute idiocy to judge a 6 year contract based on 4 games when the team has been a mess.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wouldn't agree that Marino has been "good" so far this year, he's had a few good games and a few bad games this year, but it's been 4 games and it's absolute idiocy to judge a 6 year contract based on 4 games when the team has been a mess.

I'd point to Tanev as maybe the only Penguin who has been "good" this year, the rest have ranged from average to trash. Have full confidence in Marino getting back to last year's form.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I can agree with that. Jankowski more than McCann but McCann is always a frustrating player even when he's playing good.

Yeah. Provided McCann can stay top ten producer on the team he'll be just fine. Same with all 3. That'll change a bit once some others in the top six catch on/up this season.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
His contract and stats are similar to Sam Girard of Colorado. Signed a 7 year for 5mil AAV. After putting up 23 and 27 points up as a 19 and 20 year old he signed the deal. As a 21 he put up 34. This is the first year of the bargain contract.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He hasn’t been very good. I wouldn’t care but Pens fans said some pretty ridiculous things about him. I’m sure he’ll recover but they did give a lot of money off a small sample size. Just like judging him so far is also a pretty small sample size.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
You do realize you’re on the main forums, not a team forum?

Ya wouldn't expect anything but hot takes here.

Truth is he's had a rough start. Doesn't help he's been asked to play his offside while struggling out of the gate. Thing is his skill and skating are still noticeable.

Most thought he'd be immune to adversity but like every young D he's going through it right now. He'll be fine. No reason for concern regarding his contract.

But now is definitely the time for fans that hate the Pens to berate us about how bad he is cause it won't last forever...

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I’d kinda expect to get some cover from Leafs fans. He’s carrying Cody Ceci whilst playing on his off side.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In these flat cap seasons and only coming off one decent season, that is a risky contract for a former 6th round pick. Would have been much smarter to bridge him at a much lower AAV.

Rutherford seems to have lots of brain cramps these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad