Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D John Marino signs extension (6 years, $4.4M AAV)

crab

Jan 26, 2019
If the Pens think they have a potential #1 blueliner in the making, what does any made up window have to do with things?

Teams are always looking for #1s, no matter if they are contenders, rebuilding, etc.

In two years Letang will be off the books and I doubt Marino’s contract will be hurting their cap, even if he regresses.

You bridge him at a lower cap hit so you can use the savings to bolster your lineup when you are a contender? Makes sense to me. No point in saving cap once your window closes.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You bridge him at a lower cap hit so you can use the savings to bolster your lineup when you are a contender? Makes sense to me. No point in saving cap once your window closes.

You just explained why they signed him now...

If they wait to sign him until after this season and he has another great season, his cost just goes up.

The deal doesn’t even kick in until next season either.

So nothing about this deal hurts the Pens in this made up two year window.

Reactions: Gurglesons

crab

Jan 26, 2019
1.) Lots of weight in an 8 game sample. Letang produced at a 20 goal pace last season and was analytically a top 5 defenseman. Malkin PPG wise was one of the best forwards in the league and G - M - R was statically a top three line.

2.) Neat. They also got to play in a best of 5 against a team that was firmly in the playoffs.

3.) Pettersson didn't regress last season and had a near identical analytical season to the year prior.

Analytically Jensen is suppose to be better than Carlson. Keep trusting those advanced stats.

Neat. They still lost to the 24th ranked team.

I’ll admit the Caps window will be firmly shut in two years, it’s just realistic. The Capitals also have a handful of prospects who could be impact players and the Penguins have one.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Or maybe you're over rating how good Marino is after a very small sample? I also never thought Zaitsev was all that great, but his best year was his rookie season and Toronto gambled on him improving/at least staying as good.

They ended up having to take Cody Ceci and give up Brown just to rid of his contract. Pens fans refusing to acknowledge that him peaking during this small sample just like many players have is very strange.

nope not overrating it at all. He was well ahead of what a guy like Zaitsev was.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Analytically Jensen is suppose to be better than Carlson. Keep trusting those advanced stats.

I’ll admit the Caps window will be firmly shut in two years, it’s just realistic. The Capitals also have a handful of prospects who could be impact players and the Penguins have one.

Caps are also a much older team than PIT. Aside from Crosby, Malkin and Letang the majority of the roster is under 30.

Are you doubting Letang was a top flight defenseman last year?

crab

Jan 26, 2019
You just explained why they signed him now...

If they wait to sign him until after this season and he has another great season, his cost just goes up.

The deal doesn’t even kick in until next season either.

So nothing about this deal hurts the Pens in this made up two year window.

Oh they couldn’t sign him to a two year deal now instead of a six year deal? Is that illegal in the NHL? I want aware that two year deals were no longer allowed. Can you link me to that rule?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Pens just turned a 6th rounder into a young top pairing blue liner.

That usually helps.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh they couldn’t sign him to a two year deal now instead of a six year deal? Is that illegal in the NHL? I want aware that two year deals were no longer allowed. Can you link me to that rule?

You just talked about lowering the cap hit for this perceived window... now you are talking about a two year deal which would have been substantially higher.

Why would Marino take the same amount on a shorter term deal?

I don’t think you understand how this works...

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Caps are also a much older team than PIT. Aside from Crosby, Malkin and Letang the majority of the roster is under 30.

Are you doubting Letang was a top flight defenseman last year?

Your bottom line forwards and defenseman are younger. That doesn’t really matter when your core top talent is old. The Penguins top core talent are similar ages as the Capitals.

Top 10? Not a chance.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
For the 1000th time... It's players who looked great in their first season and then never came close to repeating or exceeding that season. Those teams are very lucky they didnt sign these players based on that one season too.

Its a pretty big gamble for Pittsburgh and hopefully for them it pays off.

For the 1000th time he could literally regress and still be worth every penny of his extension. He was literally just one of the best defensive defensemen in the game last season, who also is good in transition and score 23 even strength points to top it off.

If he continues (not get better, merely continues) his current play, hes a 7+ million dollar player. Even if he turns into an Olli Maata sized pumpkin he is still worth that contract especially after inflation.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
You just talked about lowering the cap hit for this perceived window... now you are talking about a two year deal which would have been substantially higher.

Why would Marino take the same amount on a shorter term deal?

I don’t think you understand how this works...

ummm do you follow the NHL? A bridge deal is at a lower cap and shorter term to prove it before a larger more lucrative contract, see Dubois as a recent example. If you don’t understand a bridge deal I’m afraid this convo is over as I don’t have time to explain everything to you.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Your bottom line forwards and defenseman are younger. That doesn’t really matter when your core top talent is old. The Penguins top core talent are similar ages as the Capitals.

Top 10? Not a chance.

Guentzel, Marino, Rust, Zucker, Pettersson and Jarry are the core talent to surround Crosby, Malkin and Letang. I suggest taking a peak at the Sharks to see how that worked out for them in terms of "window ending".

Most lists I've seen on this site and others have had Letang right on the border of being a top ten D in the league. Not surprised a Caps fan feels otherwise though. Or that a Wings fan and Caps fan are the ones trying to disparage this contract.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Ok Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana, Samsonov, Orlov.

I don’t see how listing Zucker and Rust as young players at 28 years old is proving anything.

Keep going though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ok Kuznetsov, Wilson, Vrana, Samsonov, Orlov.

I don’t see how listing Zucker and Rust as young players at 28 years old is proving anything.

Keep going though.

I think this idea that the Penguins and Capitals will fall off a cliff in two years is silly.

Caps are more likely largely because Backstrom and Oshie have already started to show wear and their older players are tied up on much less advantageous contracts than the Pens. Granted, it'll depend on what Malkin and Letang ask for in a year.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
I think this idea that the Penguins and Capitals will fall off a cliff in two years is silly.

Caps are more likely largely because Backstrom and Oshie have already started to show wear and their older players are tied up on much less advantageous contracts than the Pens. Granted, it'll depend on what Malkin and Letang ask for in a year.

How did Oshie show wear? His past season was consistent with his prior production over a number of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad