Trade: [PIT/CHI] Justin Fields for 2025 6th round pick (can become 4th)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Or crazy thought, let him iron out the flaws in his game more learning the NFL for himself on the playing field. There's statistically no proven benefit to sitting and learning.
He was just not the right fit for the timeline that the SF roster was on.

Even QBs with 4 years it's hard to figure out who will make it if given the chance. Ridder and Purdy both 4 year starters at Cincy and Iowa St. Both got into games as a rookie. Both starters this past season. Purdy on the better roster, but ATL not looking for a Pro Bowl year out of Ridder, but wanted to see enough from him but he didn't deliver. That is with 2 OL that got paid plus a 2nd rounder OG, plus 3 first round weapons in Pitts/London/Bijan.

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
That's also on Lance for coming out in the draft after playing at a lower level of football. And his pass attempts per game were under 20 IIRC. The portal had just begun that upcoming season, so he should have either returned to school or transferred to a better program to get his reps in.

He was simply too raw to run the SF offence. They wanted him to start, but he just didn't show them enough in practice.

Have to get your reps in during college.
He made 34m by going into the draft, playing another year or transferring would have been a major risk.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He made 34m by going into the draft, playing another year or transferring would have been a major risk.
Fair enough. He got life altering money. Question is whether he could have had a longer and more successful career, thus earning 9 figures by staying in school and getting himself more NFL ready. But, can't hate on a guy to get that guaranteed money.

I say that also about those 1 year starters at bigger programs like Haskins, Trubisky, Sanchez (though he managed to still do very well financially). But, he was also 2 years prior to the NFL rookie contracts. Had he been slotted, he would have made less. Julio Jones was #6 in 2011 and is 4 year rookie deal 2 years later was $16 mill. Sanchez made $53 mill in his first 4 years with the Jets. $62 mill over 5 years with them. Rest of his career was just over $12 mill.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can’t imagine Russ gets cut in camp, just doesn’t seem like how the Steelers do things with respected veterans.

Reactions: Voight

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I can’t imagine Russ gets cut in camp, just doesn’t seem like how the Steelers do things with respected veterans.

I believe more in the rumour that they’d rather re-sign him to a longterm deal

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I agree with the thought of not wanting to have 2 young high picks on the same locker room, it could easily create friction. I’d prefer quality veteran who’s not a longterm threat

But for Caleb he’s a 1st overall pick walking into the best situation out of these young QB’s, by a country mile, he has proven tier A offensive players as his safety net. Him not being ready to go would be a massive disappointment
If Chicago is going to invest in Williams or any other highly ranked QB to be their starter in September they need to have a veteran in the QB room. If they have a Zach Wilson situation it has a good chance to fail.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"Sitting and developing" ended up playing a part in ruining Trey Lance, which is why the Colts went in to have Richardson be a starter on day one to avoid repeating that mistake, especially with guys with lower college career snap counts.

I'd argue his lack of experience did it more than anything. One year of college ball and not even at the highest level.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'd argue his lack of experience did it more than anything. One year of college ball and not even at the highest level.
You don't gain experience sitting on the bench, you get it with reps! The Colts noticed this and didn't want to repeat that with Anthony Richardson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You don't gain experience sitting on the bench, you get it with reps! The Colts noticed this and didn't want to repeat that with Anthony Richardson.
No SEC backer but there is certainly a gap between the conf that Lance played in va the SEC and another level on top from SEC to NFL.

Plus Indy was a non playoff team in 2022. So their focus going into 2023 was to develop their QB. SF in 2021, 2022, and 2023 were trying to win the SB.

Just a bad fit between what Lance needed to become a better QB and the rest of the SF roster that was ready to win then.

Reactions: Voight

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
No SEC backer but there is certainly a gap between the conf that Lance played in va the SEC and another level on top from SEC to NFL.

Plus Indy was a non playoff team in 2022. So their focus going into 2023 was to develop their QB. SF in 2021, 2022, and 2023 were trying to win the SB.

Just a bad fit between what Lance needed to become a better QB and the rest of the SF roster that was ready to win then.
They could live through the issues and growing pains considering Jimmy G wasn't moving any needle. Plus letting a FCS QB learn via trial by fire has worked before.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Or crazy thought, let him iron out the flaws in his game more learning the NFL for himself on the playing field. There's statistically no proven benefit to sitting and learning.
There was a writer (not a Bears one) I heard on the radio, forget his name, I’m sure I’ll hear it again, but he was so adamant about QB’s should ‘sit and develop’ that he was advocating the Bears keeping Fields, and perhaps needing to sign him, while Caleb sits and develops for 2 or 3 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They could live through the issues and growing pains considering Jimmy G wasn't moving any needle. Plus letting a FCS QB learn via trial by fire has worked before.
SF made the WC in 2021 at 10-7. PHI made it over NO (who were both) 9-8. Who knows how the tie breakers would have gone had SF lose another game. All 3 teams were 7-5 in Conference, but in tie-breakers, they use common opponents first I believe.

Lance got paid, the $30 mill or whatever in guaranteed money by coming out for the draft when he did. He's going to have to figure out a way to get some actual playing time once his rookie deal expires this upcoming season. Whether that is in the UFL or CFL, he needs real live game reps.
Given the mess in Chicago, I doubt Lance fares any better swapping places with Fields and with NE, and what BB did with his OC in 2022, doubt Lance would do better in NE. NYJ, yeah, don't think that would be much better for him either. He was simply too raw.

Corral was a 3rd rounder in 2022 and he had 27 starts in college with over 900 Pass Attempts, so he threw the ball over 30 times a game. He's off to the UFL this upcoming season.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
There was a writer (not a Bears one) I heard on the radio, forget his name, I’m sure I’ll hear it again, but he was so adamant about QB’s should ‘sit and develop’ that he was advocating the Bears keeping Fields, and perhaps needing to sign him, while Caleb sits and develops for 2 or 3 years.
A QB might get some rope but a coach and GM won't, got to produce or your kicking rocks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
A QB might get some rope but a coach and GM won't, got to produce or your kicking rocks.
I see the argument from both sides, when a QB is ranked top 5 to go for the draft and get the $25 mill plus of guaranteed money. But, flip side is that if you are more raw than ready to play in the NFL, the financial cost to move off a QB is low now, vs when Stafford, Russell, Bradford came into the league and were making top of market money, that teams just punt on the QB and HC and start fresh on both fronts.

Has to be a balance between coming out to secure the money, but also when you are ready as that gives you a better shot to getting that second contract, where the annual value is worth more than the entire rookie deal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
trash trade by the Bears

Really bungled this whole situation. As they've been bungling things since 2007.
Watch Williams get hurt in week 3 and have to throw the towel in on another season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad