Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Casey DeSmith extends with the Penguins (3 years, $1.25M AAV)

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
This was a bit unexpected, figured CDS would test the market, but he now has a contract that can help set him up for like after hockey.

It may also mean that Jarry is on the move, perhaps not this season he is currently the clear cut #3.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Not really. Grubauer got 3.3m (?) and he had a much better resume then DeSmith. DeSmith maybe could have gotten 1.5/1.8m. Maybe. And that's not a guarantee. He took a guaranteed 1.25m from PIT to avoid risking a situation where he didn't get similar offers this summer and Pittsburgh going in a different direction and him winding up losing out.

Yep. I could have seen him getting an offer of 2 maybe even 2.5 million during the summer but they'd be 1 year deals. This guarantees him 3.75 million, plus he'd only be 31 when this deal expires so would still have a decent shot at making good money if he keeps his level of play up. Also he could end up traded somewhere to be the starter before his deal is up.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
This could turn into an absolute monster steal of a deal. If he continues to throw up a sv percentage in the 920s it's just a mind blowingingly good deal.

Really, there isn't any downside for Pittsburgh. Even if he becomes an avg backup that's still super cheap.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This is probably so Seattle takes him in the expansion draft.

But I would imagine this means Jarry gets traded in the near future.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not really. Grubauer got 3.3m (?) and he had a much better resume then DeSmith. DeSmith maybe could have gotten 1.5/1.8m. Maybe. And that's not a guarantee. He took a guaranteed 1.25m from PIT to avoid risking a situation where he didn't get similar offers this summer and Pittsburgh going in a different direction and him windi.

Grubauer never hit the open market. He was a RFA and was traded to the Avs.

A team certainly would have given DeSmith a 2-3 (or more) million per year deal if he hit the open market.

Darling is a good example since he hit free agency. He got 4.1 for 4 years and had similar stats to DeSmith.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I find this very low when he had UFA rights this summer.

Could have easily gotten 2-3 M per on the market with how the goalie position is suddenly shaky for many teams.

I don't think 3 million, unless he closes out the year with 40+ games at his current save percentage, or he is the Pens starter in the playoffs. Even then, we've seen guys like Chad Johnson have 1 season as a backup who played more games than expected with a good save percentage and that didn't lead to a huge payday.

I think he could have gotten something in the 2x2 type range. Similar to a Chad Johnson or Anders Nilsson type deal.

I can see the logic in wanting to stay with Pittsburgh. Maybe he would get a bit more in the short term by leaving as a UFA, but if he stays in Pittsburgh he sets himself up for an even greater payday when he can negotiate an extension two years from now that will make up for whatever he leaves on the table. There's no guarantee if he goes to a goalie needy team that he'll play as well or as consistently in a new system.

Reactions: Peat

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Grubauer never hit the open market. He was a RFA and was traded to the Avs.

A team certainly would have given DeSmith a 2-3 (or more) million per year deal if he hit the open market.

Darling is a good example since he hit free agency. He got 4.1 for 4 years and had similar stats to DeSmith.

And Darling's current performance is good example as to why a team likely wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't think 3 million, unless he closes out the year with 40+ games at his current save percentage, or he is the Pens starter in the playoffs. Even then, we've seen guys like Chad Johnson have 1 season as a backup who played more games than expected with a good save percentage and that didn't lead to a huge payday.

I think he could have gotten something in the 2x2 type range. Similar to a Chad Johnson or Anders Nilsson type deal.

I can see the logic in wanting to stay with Pittsburgh. Maybe he would get a bit more in the short term by leaving as a UFA, but if he stays in Pittsburgh he sets himself up for an even greater payday when he can negotiate an extension two years from now that will make up for whatever he leaves on the table. There's no guarantee if he goes to a goalie needy team that he'll play as well or as consistently in a new system.

And Scott Darling's failure in Carolina might have cooled teams jets on gambling decent money on fairly inexperienced backups.

Reactions: td_ice and Riptide

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Solid deal... All i can think of tho is how Preds got Saros signed earlier this year for 3 years aswell and only 250,000 per year more lol... Poile is a bandit!!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't really see this as a guarantee Jarry gets dealt soon. Jarry's still learning his craft in the AHL, so there's no rush for him to be on the big club. And considering Murray's had a lot of injuries, Jarry will probably still get a lot of call-up action.

Plus, Jarry's still insurance in case DeSmith is a flash in the pan and his play goes down the tubes now that he's guaranteed millions.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Solid deal... All i can think of tho is how Preds got Saros signed earlier this year for 3 years aswell and only 250,000 per year more lol... Poile is a bandit!!

Saros was an RFA, DeSmith was set to become an UFA.

I don't really see this as a guarantee Jarry gets dealt soon. Jarry's still learning his craft in the AHL, so there's no rush for him to be on the big club. And considering Murray's had a lot of injuries, Jarry will probably still get a lot of call-up action.

Plus, Jarry's still insurance in case DeSmith is a flash in the pan and his play goes down the tubes now that he's guaranteed millions.

Definitely could see them keeping Jarry till the end of the season but next season he'd have to go through waivers so I think they'd move him at the draft as I imagine he'd get claimed.

Last edited:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Maybe he could put some of that towards educating himself on how to not get drunk and hit women.

Ahhh, there it is. Didn’t know about this history. Wouldn’t be shocked if this played into him taking a cheap deal. Pretty good chance that the media of any team that signed him in the off-season would latch on to this and make it a story for the sake of clicks. 3 years is good job security for a guy with that to his name in today’s world.

Reactions: FishManSam

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Jarry will likely be done. DeSmith proved this season he can at least fill in as starter if Murray gets hurt or struggles. And Murray is a starter.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
And Darling's current performance is good example as to why a team likely wouldn't make the same mistake again.

Yeah, right.

If GMs learned from theirs and others mistakes, 80% of UFAs wouldn’t get overpaid.

That’s like saying a GM won’t give an aging power forward a stupid contract because Lucic, Ladd, Backes, etc deals we’re mistakes.

Reactions: Peat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad