Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Casey DeSmith extends with the Penguins (3 years, $1.25M AAV)

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
He has been pretty solid this year. Seems like a pretty reasonable contract for a backup these days.

Wonder if this makes Jarry more likely to be traded, hard to see him wanting to sit in the AHL for 3 years.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Great cap hit. Now send him to Calgary, if not we’ll take Jarry. Thanks

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
He's been a very solid backup for the Pens, he carried them through the period where Murray was off his game. Even if he regresses significantly it's still a pretty cheap contract that wouldn't prevent him from being traded or hogtie the team from a cap perspective. Good signing.

I imagine this means Tristan Jarry is trade bait, too, although IDK what he could possibly be worth at this point.

Reactions: Giskard

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
He has been pretty solid this year. Seems like a pretty reasonable contract for a backup these days.

Wonder if this makes Jarry more likely to be traded, hard to see him wanting to sit in the AHL for 3 years.

Not sure if this is connected to Jarry really. With Seattle expansion coming up shortly, this covers pens having to expose 1 goalie under contract. They would much rather lose DeSmith than Jarry. People forget that Jarry was always supposed to be next starter after MAF was done, but Murray came out of nowhere really and pushed himself into that spot. Jarry still has higher potential between the 2 and is thought of as better number #1. Thats why he is playing in WB/S, as he get majority of starts and plays all the time, instead of sitting as a backup to MM.

Last year teams inquired about Jarry, but JR said none of the 3 are on the market. Thats why Gusstavson was traded to Ottawa. They probably would have been able to get a bit more of a return for Jarry last year when he played some games in NHL than this season

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
DeSmith has been really good this season.

GSWLOTGAASV%SO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Once this contract kicks in, the Pens will only have $5 mill tied up in both guys next season and plenty of room to lock up Murray after that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not sure if this is connected to Jarry really. With Seattle expansion coming up shortly, this covers pens having to expose 1 goalie under contract. They would much rather lose DeSmith than Jarry. People forget that Jarry was always supposed to be next starter after MAF was done, but Murray came out of nowhere really and pushed himself into that spot. Jarry still has higher potential between the 2 and is thought of as better number #1. Thats why he is playing in WB/S, as he get majority of starts and plays all the time, instead of sitting as a backup to MM.

Last year teams inquired about Jarry, but JR said none of the 3 are on the market. Thats why Gusstavson was traded to Ottawa. They probably would have been able to get a bit more of a return for Jarry last year when he played some games in NHL than this season

Jarry loses his waiver exemption at the end of the season and as such, we can't keep him. We either trade him or lose him to waivers. This is, barring a very bizarre chain of events, the sound of the coffin lid being nailed down on his career as a Penguin.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Jarry loses his waiver exemption at the end of the season and as such, we can't keep him. We either trade him or lose him to waivers. This is, barring a very bizarre chain of events, the sound of the coffin lid being nailed down on his career as a Penguin.
Yep, pretty much spells the end. Possibly a piece in a ferlund deal?

member 147413

Maybe he could put some of that towards educating himself on how to not get drunk and hit women.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I find this very low when he had UFA rights this summer.

Could have easily gotten 2-3 M per on the market
with how the goalie position is suddenly shaky for many teams.

Not really. Grubauer got 3.3m (?) and he had a much better resume then DeSmith. DeSmith maybe could have gotten 1.5/1.8m. Maybe. And that's not a guarantee. He took a guaranteed 1.25m from PIT to avoid risking a situation where he didn't get similar offers this summer and Pittsburgh going in a different direction and him winding up losing out.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Great deal considering his recent play. Good for him. I do believe this makes Jarry available

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Maybe he could put some of that towards educating himself on how to not get drunk and hit women.

I will say that knowing his history has made it harder for me to get excited about his play. I hope he has made amends with the girl he hurt in whatever way he could, and for his own sake I hope he's making smarter decisions about alcohol too.

member 147413

I will say that knowing his history has made it harder for me to get excited about his play. I hope he has made amends with the girl he hurt in whatever way he could, and for his own sake I hope he's making smarter decisions about alcohol too.
No doubt, I’m all for second chances and he comes off as well-spoken/intelligent, but it’s pathetic what he did.

Good deal for what his on-ice play brings.

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
what the heck? that such a f***ing steal. easily worth 2-3 as a ufa? is he ok? crazy deal for the pens.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I find this very low when he had UFA rights this summer.

Could have easily gotten 2-3 M per on the market with how the goalie position is suddenly shaky for many teams.

Job security and a place he feels comfortable? Plus, with Murray's injury history, DeSmith probably figures he'll get a lot more games in Pittsburgh than a typical "backup" would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->