Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Casey DeSmith extends with the Penguins (3 years, $1.25M AAV)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Solid deal... All i can think of tho is how Preds got Saros signed earlier this year for 3 years aswell and only 250,000 per year more lol... Poile is a bandit!!

Is Saros better than DeSmith? Desmith is a lot better this year, and was about as good last year.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m not going to turn this into a DeSmith VS Jarry debate, and I really like Jarry. But DeSmith has earned every single bit to this extension. Whether it works out fully or he plays all three years of the extension I don’t care about. Glad to see his great play rewarded fairly and the organization recognize it. And Pens fans should rejoice, we have depth in term. It’s fantastic.

Reactions: Giskard and Peat

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
This is a great deal for the Pens. With the abundance of average goalies, I am surprised he didn't go to UFA to test the market to see if someone liked his play. I don't think he would have much to lose, as most teams would gladly pay $1.25M for a competent back-up and more if they feel you could challenge for a starter role.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
LOL at those twitter comments, keep the salt coming :scared:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And Scott Darling's failure in Carolina might have cooled teams jets on gambling decent money on fairly inexperienced backups.

As mentioned, there is no history of GMs ceasing to give risky contracts after watching them fail elsewhere.

im really not sold on jarry honestly. was not good at NHL level last year.

Be honest, how many actual games of his did you watch, and how much of this is based on you reading his advanced stats?

He beat his expected save percentage last year anyway.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
As mentioned, there is no history of GMs ceasing to give risky contracts after watching them fail elsewhere.

He beat his expected save percentage last year anyway.
nope. his xSV% was .919 and his actual was .908

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad