Proposal: PIT-BUF-CHI: Fleury Back to Pittsburgh

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Neutral Fan.

Buf: eats $3.5m of Fleury, gets Lankinen, Pit 2nd. + a truckload of PPG paint to spruce up home ice arena (something to get the past mojo out of the building).

Chi: Jarry ...gets them much needed capspace to make other moves & stability/team control G in net for 2yrs. + Buf 6th + autographed Lemieux sweatsocks from the '92 SCF

Pit: Fleury + Chi 7th & a Chicago Deep Dish pizza.

Jamie Winston

Jul 13, 2019
You saying "we'll just force him to retire if you don't give us what you want" is not "leverage". That's you being a spiteful jackwagon :laugh:

The Hawks would be blackballed by every single UFA if they tried to pull that kind of horseshit with Fleury. Forcing a guy out of the NHL for 3 years because "we didn't get enough of a return on a guy we got for free" is absurd.

Please provide a source for this. And absolute f***ing lol at you saying the accusations are "iffy". How do those boots taste?
It’s not spiteful.. it’s simply just the current situation. I’m not sure if I have a link but I remember some reliable posters saying Pittsburgh was on the list... the list is obviously classified but you would think that Pittsburgh would be the most aggressive trade pursuer.
A lot of butt hurt going on here with you man. it gonna hurt for you when Maf gets 25 wins with the Hawks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s not spiteful.. it’s simply just the current situation. I’m not sure if I have a link but I remember some reliable posters saying Pittsburgh was on the list... the list is obviously classified but you would think that Pittsburgh would be the most aggressive trade pursuer.
A lot of butt hurt going on here with you man. it gonna hurt for you when Maf gets 25 wins with the Hawks.

No, it is entirely spiteful. You're throwing a guy out of the league because "YOU WON'T GIVE US ENOUGH IN A TRADE!!!!". How do you think that is anything but spiteful? You're literally forcing him to retire, which effectively puts him out of the league, because you can't turn him from a nothing asset into a positive asset. You got him for literally nothing, and then you're saying "if you don't give us value, we'll just force him to retire". How is that anything but "spiteful"?

That's not "leverage" on your end. That's you being an ass. I have no clue what Fleury wants to do, but if he wants to play somewhere else and you tell him "just retire because we're not trading you", the Hawks would become an even bigger joke than they've already become recently.

Here's what I'd ask: what do you gain about telling Fleury "you can just retire if you don't want to play for us"? Is the answer "nothing"? Because if it is, that means the move is entirely spiteful.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Neutral Fan.

Buf: eats $3.5m of Fleury, gets Lankinen, Pit 2nd. + a truckload of PPG paint to spruce up home ice arena (something to get the past mojo out of the building).

Chi: Jarry ...gets them much needed capspace to make other moves & stability/team control G in net for 2yrs. + Buf 6th + autographed Lemieux sweatsocks from the '92 SCF

Swap Lankinen to one of Subban or Delia then maybe. No reason to completely downgrade our goalies for Jarry who already was worse than Lankinen this past season

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There is zero chance Chicago gets anything of value for Fleury unless they're retaining money on him.
I don't agree with this. They can simply do nothing and let him retire. They're under no obligation to facilitate anything, and they certainly wouldn't do it for so little as a seventh rounder.

My guess is that what they really want is for Fleury to play for them. Chicago has time to work on him. They aren't going to rush to facilitate a move to another destination. As a last resort, they'd entertain the idea, but certainly not in late July, and not for a pittance in return. I think they'd make the recipient pay more than that to get the reigning Vezina winner at half price. That's a valuable asset, particularly on a short no-risk contract.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't agree with this. They can simply do nothing and let him retire. They're under no obligation to facilitate anything, and they certainly wouldn't do it for so little as a seventh rounder.

My guess is that what they really want is for Fleury to play for them. Chicago has time to work on him. They aren't going to rush to facilitate a move to another destination. As a last resort, they'd entertain the idea, but certainly not in late July, and not for a pittance in return. I think they'd make the recipient pay more than that to get the reigning Vezina winner at half price.

Again, this isn't leverage. Forcing Fleury to retire if he doesn't play for you isn't leverage. Forcing him to retire basically puts Chicago on a list of "teams to not sign with". It's an obvious sign that Chicago doesn't give a crap about their players.

Forcing Fleury to retire is not "leverage". It's a sign that Chicago is a bad organization.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Fleury could find himself injured (pulled groin) for example & sit on LTIR, collect his $ & stick it to CHI for trading for him, knowing he didn't wanna move his family in likely his last season & VGK for trading him.

$7M is a lot to walk away from for your life's passion.

My guess is he plays, isn't happy about the huge downgrade on D & overall talent CHI vs. VGK & gets lit up many nights etc.

Seth Jones has yet to reach the levels we saw from 3 yrs ago, when he was a top5 Dman league-wide. Werenski didn't suffer the same poor advanced stats despite playing for the Jackets in the same 3 yrs. Jones Sr. helps a little.

The rest of the CHI D is #4-#6/bottom pairing.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Again, this isn't leverage. Forcing Fleury to retire if he doesn't play for you isn't leverage. Forcing him to retire basically puts Chicago on a list of "teams to not sign with". It's an obvious sign that Chicago doesn't give a crap about their players.

Forcing Fleury to retire is not "leverage". It's a sign that Chicago is a bad organization.
There is another interpretation of such a move. There are plenty of GMs who believe that it sets a bad precedent to let assets go for nothing, and that it's better at, say, the trade deadine to refuse to move a pending free agent who is about to walk rather than announce to the world that you will take a bargain basement price for assets, even assets with compromised value. Not all agree, but there are certainly some GMs who operate this way.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is another interpretation of such a move. There are plenty of GMs who believe that it sets a bad precedent to let assets go for nothing, and that it's better at, say, the trade deadine to refuse to move a pending free agent who is about to walk rather than announce to the world that you will take a bargain basement price for assets, even assets with compromised value. Not all agree, but there are certainly some GMs who operate this way.

"Let players go for nothing", as in "we got a player for free and are going to force him out of the league unless we can get positive value out of him via trade".

You're really not on the right side when it comes to this fyi. Take out the "I want Fleury back in Pittsburgh" aspect entirely, to basically say "we can force a player out of the league because we don't want to lose assets for nothing" is horrid.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You're being dramatic. He's a hockey player on a contract that got moved. They aren't trying to force him to retire. They want him to play for them and honor that contract. That's their position.

Yours seems to be that they must move him where he wants to go, because it's the right thing to do. They don't have to do that at all. They don't have to do anything.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
No offence, but Chicago takes that deal lol day long. They just traded an ECHL player for MAF. No way Pens are giving up Jarry, 2nd and 7th for him. If MAF won’t play for the Hawks or doesn’t want to, the Hawks are paying for not doing their due diligence. It will be them eating some salary and giving up picks. Not the Pens.
Really? Why would the Blackhawks give up picks and/or retain salary? MAF either plays for them or doesn’t. If he doesn’t and wants to play somewhere else, the Blackhawks have no reason to give up draft picks or retain salary. If he wants to play somewhere else, the Blackhawks will get something in return or trade him for a nothing just like they gave up to get him from Vegas

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You're being dramatic. He's a hockey player on a contract that got moved. They aren't trying to force him to retire. They want him to play for them and honor that contract. That's their position.

Yours seems to be that they must move him where he wants to go, because it's the right thing to do. They don't have to do that at all. They don't have to do anything.

And he has $6m reasons to show up to Chicago. Pens aren't going to get a gift just because.

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008

There's a lot of stuff conspiring againt Chicago on this one:

a) The giant, ugly scandal they are wallowing in. If MAF came out and said that he'll refuse to play for the Hawks until they clean house top to bottom given the abuse the Hawks apparently condoned, nobody in the world would blame Fleury. There is definitely something rotten in the State of Illinois, and nobody will blame MAF for not wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole.
b) MAF is basically the most beloved player in the league, possibly by a wide margin. He was completely trucked over by the Knights who screwed him over in the middle of the night unannounced for Jack Eichel money after having promised him repeatedly he wasn't going anywhere. The deal that sent him to Chicago completely reeks.
c) We're not talking about some schlub who just got called up from Rockford three weeks ago. MAF has won three cups, played in five finals, been there, done that, and gotten the t-shirt. He's a future hall of famer whose opinion matters league wide. Given the facts of a, b, and, c, the Hawks are not exatly in a place to dictate terms-not if they want to maintain their stature in the league.

Reactions: Ignatius

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Yeah, the reputation of your organization would sink even lower if you tried to pull that kind of shit :laugh:

There is zero chance Chicago gets anything of value for Fleury unless they're retaining money on him.
Nope. Chicago is in a position to pillage ⚒️ & plunder. ⛏️
We're going to do it!

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Really? Why would the Blackhawks give up picks and/or retain salary? MAF either plays for them or doesn’t. If he doesn’t and wants to play somewhere else, the Blackhawks have no reason to give up draft picks or retain salary. If he wants to play somewhere else, the Blackhawks will get something in return or trade him for a nothing just like they gave up to get him from Vegas
Why would the Pens give up Jarry and two draft picks to get a guy just traded for nothing. If anyone pays to move MAF at this point, that would be the Hawks.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
"Let players go for nothing", as in "we got a player for free and are going to force him out of the league unless we can get positive value out of him via trade".

You're really not on the right side when it comes to this fyi. Take out the "I want Fleury back in Pittsburgh" aspect entirely, to basically say "we can force a player out of the league because we don't want to lose assets for nothing" is horrid.
Are you really thinking the Penguins would force him to retire rather than give his current team fair value for him?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Are you really thinking the Penguins would force him to retire rather than give his current team fair value for him?
Not at all, penguins at this point are too oblivious to wants really going on with their own team . They spee that the window is still open but its not, they need a goalie not named jarry to have any hope. If the Hawks want to salvage something for MAF the penguins woukd be the ideal choice. I do think MAF reports to the Hawks tho.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t see this mentioned but their ‘22 2nd is part of a condition in the Carter trade so they can’t move it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Neutral Fan.

No thank you

Also Chicago thin-crust aka tavern style is best pizza and what we eat most of year ,, I think you would enjoy that more

Deep Dish is just a 1-2 year thing for most people here and tourists are one's who consume most Chicago Deep Dish

Reactions: Ignatius and Auggie

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
So it appears chief from barstool sports was 100% correct in his reporting and is a trusted source.

To the poster’s who had nothing better to do than argue and not even present any facts or look at the big picture , it's one thing to conjure up trades for fun but having a serious discussion requires big picture thinking.

It's official MAF will play for chicago.

Bernie Federko

Jun 29, 2018
No thank you

Also Chicago thin-crust aka tavern style is best pizza and what we eat most of year ,, I think you would enjoy that more

Deep Dish is just a 1-2 year thing for most people here and tourists are one's who consume most Chicago Deep Dish

I prefer thin crust, nice and crispy. Never knew that it was called tavern style until a couple of months ago and I've lived in Chicago for 3o years. And yes, I only eat deep dish a couple of times a year when I have guests that really want it.

Reactions: Auggie

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
There's a lot of stuff conspiring againt Chicago on this one:

a) The giant, ugly scandal they are wallowing in. If MAF came out and said that he'll refuse to play for the Hawks until they clean house top to bottom given the abuse the Hawks apparently condoned, nobody in the world would blame Fleury. There is definitely something rotten in the State of Illinois, and nobody will blame MAF for not wanting to touch it with a 10 foot pole.
b) MAF is basically the most beloved player in the league, possibly by a wide margin. He was completely trucked over by the Knights who screwed him over in the middle of the night unannounced for Jack Eichel money after having promised him repeatedly he wasn't going anywhere. The deal that sent him to Chicago completely reeks.
c) We're not talking about some schlub who just got called up from Rockford three weeks ago. MAF has won three cups, played in five finals, been there, done that, and gotten the t-shirt. He's a future hall of famer whose opinion matters league wide. Given the facts of a, b, and, c, the Hawks are not exatly in a place to dictate terms-not if they want to maintain their stature in the league.

that’s a lot of text only to be completely irrelevant on the topic with fleury playing. It would be no different than wanting to play for Pit who’s owner was an accessory for rape and who’s AGM covered up a sexual assault as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad