Speculation: Pietrangelo's future (reports: to go to FA)

Discussion in 'St. Louis Blues' started by Spektre, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueston HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    After seeing what Boston did to his good buddy Backes, not sure he wants to go there.

2. Mike Liut Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    There is no reason Petro shouldn’t be signed. He must want a mega deal and not a hometown discount. Otherwise, he’d be signed. You don’t let your captain and #1 Dman get this far into free agency.

3. Davimir Tarablad Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    If the season was progressing like normal, then there'd be plenty of reason to panic, but there's no reason for Petro or the Blues to commit to a deal without knowing what is going to happen for the rest of this season and beyond in the current state of affairs.

Klank Loves You likes this.
  4. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The problem is timing for them. Maybe that negotiation period will be a bigger deal, but we have the luxury of making moves in advance with the confidence of Pietrangelo signing. Teams aren't going to move assets that they may want to keep just for a chance to sign Pietrangelo, what if they don't sign him? And yes, teams can go over the cap by 10%, but would Pietrangelo want a situation where the team will be unknown because they have to dump so much cap and will have 0 leverage in trades? It's why you didn't see teams move out cap space for the purposes of signing Tavares.

In the end, competition probably won't be crazy high to sign Petro with the stagnant cap, but we will be in a tough spot to make room for him. Yes, some teams will have space, but will those teams want to take on unnecessary payroll after the owners are losing quite a bit of money? What will the asset cost be to move out that money? It's just a very unknown situation at this point.

There will be enough teams competing for him to make it a real possibility to leave, it just depends on what he wants. If he wants to compete now, he'll have less of a choice though.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  5. execwrite1 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The horror of it is too much to contemplate but based on the cap numbers sure seems like Petro could be headed to Colorado.

6. bleedblue1223 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The optimist in me is that with the cap probably being stagnant for a few years, Colorado will be saving money for Makar's extension after next season. Landeskog will also be due for a raise.

7. execwrite1 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    From your lips ...

8. AjaxManifesto Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Optimist In Training
    Petro's Future?

Retirement and an Italian restaurant with his last name

In about 10 years....

9. SaintLouHaintBlue Have another donut

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    NHL GM
    That sounds like the perfect name for a restaurant on The Hill.

10. TurgPavs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So Next Summer, Colorado is going to expose Makar or Girard in the expansion draft?

EJ has a NMC, you would think Petro will ask for the same, leaving either Makar or Girard available.

Thats a tough move considering that Bowen Byram is on the cusp of being in Denver full time.

That also means Zadorov will likely not be re-signed.

11. Brian39 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I agree with you that it doesn't make sense for Colorado to go after Petro since RD is already the strength of their back end and a Petro contract would make the next round of raises tough for them. However, if they did sign Petro then they would probably be one of the few teams that opts to protect 4 D and 4 F instead of 3 D and 7 F. MacKinnon and Rantanen are no brainers to protect. So is Landeskog if he has been extended. But after that, they have a lot of good but not incredible forwards. If they went the 4/4 route, they could still protect one of Burakovsky, Kadri, Donskoi, Nichuskin and Compher.

Again, I don't think it is likely that they go after Petro, but if they did the consequence would be losing the 2nd best forward from that group rather than losing one of Girard or Makar.

12. TurgPavs Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thats a good point, one I hadn't thought of. Its clear if they wanted they could sign Petro for 1 year at a super high amount. If they wanted to put all their eggs in one basket, or I should say all their pucks in one net.

13. The Note HFBlues GDT/Chiefs Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    They could, but I would bet there's virtually no chance Pietrangelo would take a one year deal.

67Blues likes this.
  14. Stupendous Yappi Any famous last words? Not yet!

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It’s easier to imagine him doing a short term deal with the Blues in anticipation of a long contract at higher AAV as an understanding after, than agreeing to a one year deal with anyone else.

This isn’t the NFL. These long contracts are guaranteed money.

15. Brian39 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think there is only 1 avenue where a 1 year deal for Petro would make any sense. Generally, a player can't sign an extension after signing a 1 year deal until January 1 of that next season. This is to prevent teams from breaking a long term deal into 2 contracts for cap purposes. This rule places risk on a player by forcing them to play half a season and risk injury/underperformance in order to dissuade a player from being willing to sign a 1 year deal then a long term extension.

So far, I haven't seen anything about the NHL changing this January 1 date with the new season schedule and there is a non-zero chance that it will not get changed. There might be some support among teams and players to say "we don't want compliance buyouts, but allowing teams/players to massage year-to-year cap hits this one time is something that can benefit all parties."

If that extension date remains the same, suddenly the Blues and Petro would both have large incentive to do a 1 year deal followed almost immediately by a 7 or 8 year deal. You could sign him to a relatively cheap 1 year deal and then sign him to a long term extension on January 1, which happens to be the potential start date of the next season. That would largely eliminate the risk for Petro and bridge us to a time where we have more cap space.

It is extremely unlikely that the NHL won't push that January 1 date to the middle of a 2020/21 season. But it is the only way where Petro should even consider passing up a $60M+ contract in favor of a 1 year $12M+ contract. While the risk isn't huge, the worst case scenario of losing out on $45-$55M is just not worth the potential benefits.

Celtic Note and MissouriMook like this.
  16. MissouriMook Still just a Mook among men Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think you're spot on, @Brian39 . Given that the current start date for next season is planned to be December 1, I expect this milestone date for extending players on a 1-year deal will get pushed back to late-February or March 1, depending on how much they plan to compress the schedule.

mk80 likes this.
  17. Spektre Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Alex Pietrangelo on if he'll be back: "I'm not going to answer that. We'll find out soon."

18. Stlblues87 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He gone.

Spektre likes this.
  19. Spektre Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Pietrangelo on showing emotion near end: "More so when the game's over. It's not a fun situation to be in, especially when you've been somewhere your whole career, but it is what it is. I guess my only thought was just to get home, see my kids and see where the future takes us."

mk80 likes this.
  20. Spektre Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Sure sounds like 27 is gone. Well at least the Faulkinator is here... amiright??

21. TheDizee The Ref Jose Slayer, ALWAYS RIGHT

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    lol that after the game presser sounds like hes gone

Stupendous Yappi likes this.
  22. AjaxManifesto Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Optimist In Training
    Missed the presser.

I think it's Colorado.

23. AjaxManifesto Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Optimist In Training
    The window is wide open in Colorado.

24. Blues Knight Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000

It looks like he is crying. He know he is gone.

25. mk80 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Hockey Play-by-play
    I would bet during the pause Doug and Petro had at least some discussion on where each side is at. I lean towards him choosing to go elsewhere, and ROR taking over the "C" but I hope I'm wrong because he would be a huge loss on the blueline

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.