Value of: Pietrangelo to the Sabres

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
The signing bonus issue is a non-issue with our ownership group, as evidenced by their willingness to take on that structure in acquiring ROR's contract.

As far as "front-loading" dollars, there is really only so much any team can do under the current CBA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the lowest amount for any one year has to be at least 50% of the highest amount per year in that same deal. So a contract that has a front-loaded annual amount of salary and bonus of $12M can't have a year any lower than $6M. There is only so much front-loading you're going to be able to do without significantly impacting the AAV and cap hit. If it takes $72M over 8 years for STL to keep him and they decide to do it, they will have no issue making a deal structured along the lines of 12-12-10-10-8-8-6-6 work. I'd be really surprised if any team went any higher than $14M in one year without drifting into Karlsson territory, and I suspect the Blues would be out of that market.

I thought it was 50% of the previous year, not highest year, but could be wrong on that it's been awhile since I looked it up. So you can go 20-10-5 for 35 million 3 year deal, again maybe I'm mistaken but I'd like to know how it works on back diving deals. I'm sure the next CBA will touch on the LTIR retirement plans for these type contracts. Hossa should have guaranteed that.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Meh, "contender" nothing. FAs choose money first every year. Cup winners don't tend to be full of $10 million UFA signings; part of building a contending roster is managing cap space.

Buffalo has already wasted enough cap space trying to buy their way out of poor scouting/drafting/development. And even if Ristolainen were traded for a forward, they atill have Montour, Jokiharju, and Miller on RD.

That said, if Botterill stays employed he could be stupid/desperate enough.

While I agree with what you said. Pie is a franchise D, debatably the best current D man in the league. Contenders galore will offer as much as dumpster fire clubs like Buffalo could and sort the cap out with another move. Hardly any club would turn down adding him. It’s not a Lucic, Ladd, etc as we’ve seen in recent years

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I thought it was 50% of the previous year, not highest year, but could be wrong on that it's been awhile since I looked it up. So you can go 20-10-5 for 35 million 3 year deal, again maybe I'm mistaken but I'd like to know how it works on back diving deals. I'm sure the next CBA will touch on the LTIR retirement plans for these type contracts. Hossa should have guaranteed that.

Year to year change max is 35%
Ratio of max year to min year is 2:1 or Lowest is 50% of highest

On an all increasing contract you don’t have to follow these rules.

Reactions: Not Sure

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What is price of losing love for hockey and play in Buffalo? I think Ryan O'Reilly can help Pietro with that.

D9CWlg9XoAIXJLm.jpg

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
But he’s going to the Leafs....
no he isnt. its kinda a running joke that leafs fans think everyone is going there but with the cap space they have now it doesnt really happen anymore

stupid leafs fans. actually think Stamkos, Tavares, Pietrnagelo gonna sign there...oh wait

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The sabres would have to come with an offer of 12-13x7 for him to even consider it.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Assuming Pietrangelo walks from the Blues, he would be an ideal RHD partner for Dahlin. I’m anticipating Risto finally gets traded for forward help. What is the speculated value of his new contract? Something in the $10.5 to 11 million for 6/7 years? Sabres will have approximately $35 million in cap space heading into the summer with a bunch of RFA’s and a couple of UFA’s to sign.

Why would he go to buffalo lol

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I feel like the Faulk signing almost made that impossible

I wonder if STL went out and got/extended Faulk because they already knew Pietrangelo was planning on testing the UFA market. Because otherwise it seems pretty awful cap management to spend that kind of money on a player who will be your 3rd best RHD. It's weird to think about Pietro leaving St. Louis, but it's also weird that there's been no contract extension so far if he's staying, and I haven't even seen any news about negotiations. And the Faulk trade and sign starts making a lot more sense if that's Pietro's plan.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Umm when ur writing in text it's most likely a good idea..... Am I suppose to just assume what you were thinking?
Generally on these boards the use of multiple periods indicates something. You don’t need to be a mind reader to get that.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I wonder if STL went out and got/extended Faulk because they already knew Pietrangelo was planning on testing the UFA market. Because otherwise it seems pretty awful cap management to spend that kind of money on a player who will be your 3rd best RHD. It's weird to think about Pietro leaving St. Louis, but it's also weird that there's been no contract extension so far if he's staying, and I haven't even seen any news about negotiations. And the Faulk trade and sign starts making a lot more sense if that's Pietro's plan.
I didnt find the Faulk trade odd the signing I thought was very odd considering Pietrangelo is their guy. he must have told them he was planning on testing Free Agency. I wouldn`t have spoiled the chance to resign him for Faulk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad