Value of: Pietrangelo to the Sabres

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
OP isnt a troll acct. though. Just responding to them.
that's a fair point, and we can throw out what whatever absurd numbers to say "well Stl, wouldn't pay that but DA is fine with front loading contracts. Iirc Army has stated that the AAV is that they are after. He built the Blues like Boston, a bunch of really good players but no "super stars". If Pietrangelo walks, I doubt his contract will be south of 70m

Personally, I cannot imagine it being about the money for Pietrangelo.

He's coming off a $45.5m deal. Like you said, his next deal is going to be north of $65m. I cannot see him uprooting his very young family to somewhere other than St. Louis or Toronto to make that $65m turn into $75m.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Everyone's got a budget. The Blues one is obviously much higher after winning the Stanley Cup, but we don't know how much of that have been taken up by Faulk/Schenn.

It's also interesting, that neither of those contracts contain signing bonuses of any kind.
It's just something Army likes to avoid in most cases, same with NMC. When we acquired O'Reilly, he said ownership didn't have a problem picking up that contract with pretty sizable bonuses, so I don't think it would be a huge issue, but I'm sure a team will offer Petro a deal with $10-15M signing bonuses in the first couple years.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Let’s compare St. Louis to Buffalo for a second

St. Louis is where’s he’s played his entire career, Buffalo is not.
St. Louis is a Cup contender, Buffalo is not
St. Louis is his wife’s hometown, Buffalo is not
St. Louis is where he’s started a family, Buffalo is not.
St. Louis will offer him a contract that at worst will be in the ballpark that Buffalo does.

Why in the blue hell would he leave St. Louis for Buffalo if the option to stay is there?

Reactions: bernmeister

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Taking Buffalo out of the equation and just looking at how much more average an outside team would have to offer to match the blues at 8 years, which I would imagine Armstrong is fine with doing. If he's not, than that's an issue for us...

Let's say blues max offer is 9x8, for 72M just to speculate.

A team would have to offer 10.28M X 7 just to match the 72M total. How much extra coin does Petro want to uproot his family and play for a new team? 5M enough? That would make it an 11M caphit. Are there any teams willing to offer 11X7 for 77M? Any willing to go 11.5X7 for 80.5 or 12X7 for 84? Nobody knows any of these magic numbers except Petro but at some point the extra money has to get tempting.

Is it about more than just money at this point? Does he want to try something new? Nobody really knows what Petro is thinking, but you would think after winning the cup and having triplets and his wife being from the area, that he would be completely fine with re-signing, if the money is right.

Last edited:
Reactions: stl76 and Dbrownss

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Let’s compare St. Louis to Buffalo for a second

St. Louis is where’s he’s played his entire career, Buffalo is not.
St. Louis is a Cup contender, Buffalo is not
St. Louis is his wife’s hometown, Buffalo is not
St. Louis is where he’s started a family, Buffalo is not.
St. Louis will offer him a contract that at worst will be in the ballpark that Buffalo does.

Why in the blue hell would he leave St. Louis for Buffalo if the option to stay is there?
is the option there? you would think the captain of the team would have been signed by now. legit question.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Assuming Pietrangelo walks from the Blues, he would be an ideal RHD partner for Dahlin. I’m anticipating Risto finally gets traded for forward help. What is the speculated value of his new contract? Something in the $10.5 to 11 million for 6/7 years? Sabres will have approximately $35 million in cap space heading into the summer with a bunch of RFA’s and a couple of UFA’s to sign.
If he can be had for that number every team that can afford him is lining up to sign him he is the best d man in the league.

Is he tired of playing past 82 games? I don't see him going to anything other then a Contender, if he leaves the team he just won the Stanley Cup with.....

Sabres would probably have to hand a crippling contract to him, to entice him

Yes max years with an AAV of over 13.

Reactions: Dbrownss

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I think he'll re-sign in STL, I'm guessing they move out Jake Allen and Jaden Schwartz to create the cap space and he gets a similar deal to Roman Josi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
is the option there? you would think the captain of the team would have been signed by now. legit question.
His agency is Newport.....:pullhair:

Armstrong said they havnt discussed anything during the season and didnt plan to visit things till the season is over. Blues fans are worried but AP27 was a hold out last time too.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Assuming Pietrangelo walks from the Blues, he would be an ideal RHD partner for Dahlin. I’m anticipating Risto finally gets traded for forward help. What is the speculated value of his new contract? Something in the $10.5 to 11 million for 6/7 years? Sabres will have approximately $35 million in cap space heading into the summer with a bunch of RFA’s and a couple of UFA’s to sign.

f*** no

You give someone like that 3 yrs max.

Remember buffalo currently has 4 RD and Borgen and Fitzgerald

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I am going to be bold here, so tag my post and bring it up later on for being right or wrong but:

Pietrangelo to the Leafs this summer on a two year deal

:)

And because you're not a Leafs fan we know this is a solid, objective, and informed post.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I think he'll re-sign in STL, I'm guessing they move out Jake Allen and Jaden Schwartz to create the cap space and he gets a similar deal to Roman Josi

Highly doubt Schwartzy gets moved out. More than likely a guy like Bozak. It’s hard to choose between Bozak and Steen as they both seem to be big locker room guys.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I just don't get why he'd pick Buffalo. Not dissing, but i think he wants a legitimate shot at competing for a cup, not ideal given his skillset/age

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
f*** no

You give someone like that 3 yrs max.

Remember buffalo currently has 4 RD and Borgen and Fitzgerald

Yeah
No way we go for a legit #1 Dman when we have Magic Beans on the horizon.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I just don't get why he'd pick Buffalo. Not dissing, but i think he wants a legitimate shot at competing for a cup, not ideal given his skillset/age

He probably wont but sometimes you just need to have happy thoughts

Reactions: stl76

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

The real question is -- do the Blues have the ability to front load this deal where he might make $12m+ in the first couple of years with a heavy dose of signing bonuses, without that coming off their budget line?

The signing bonus issue is a non-issue with our ownership group, as evidenced by their willingness to take on that structure in acquiring ROR's contract.

As far as "front-loading" dollars, there is really only so much any team can do under the current CBA. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think the lowest amount for any one year has to be at least 50% of the highest amount per year in that same deal. So a contract that has a front-loaded annual amount of salary and bonus of $12M can't have a year any lower than $6M. There is only so much front-loading you're going to be able to do without significantly impacting the AAV and cap hit. If it takes $72M over 8 years for STL to keep him and they decide to do it, they will have no issue making a deal structured along the lines of 12-12-10-10-8-8-6-6 work. I'd be really surprised if any team went any higher than $14M in one year without drifting into Karlsson territory, and I suspect the Blues would be out of that market.

Reactions: brokeu91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad