Value of: Pietrangelo to the Sabres

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Assuming Pietrangelo walks from the Blues, he would be an ideal RHD partner for Dahlin. I’m anticipating Risto finally gets traded for forward help. What is the speculated value of his new contract? Something in the $10.5 to 11 million for 6/7 years? Sabres will have approximately $35 million in cap space heading into the summer with a bunch of RFA’s and a couple of UFA’s to sign.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Is he tired of playing past 82 games? I don't see him going to anything other then a Contender, if he leaves the team he just won the Stanley Cup with.....

Sabres would probably have to hand a crippling contract to him, to entice him

Yeah I agree, If he leaves the Blues it will cost some teams a bit more than others.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Meh, "contender" nothing. FAs choose money first every year. Cup winners don't tend to be full of $10 million UFA signings; part of building a contending roster is managing cap space.

Buffalo has already wasted enough cap space trying to buy their way out of poor scouting/drafting/development. And even if Ristolainen were traded for a forward, they atill have Montour, Jokiharju, and Miller on RD.

That said, if Botterill stays employed he could be stupid/desperate enough.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If he wants to chase the money then I am sure there are a few teams including the Sabres that can offer him big money described.

I think though he would want to go to a contender if he feels slighted by the Blues organization as what better way to stick it to them for not making an offer to him.

Obviously I would love to see the TML get in on him in and around 9-9.5. Would could front load the contract with tones of money. I am aware it would mean a great number of departures from the team including Kerfoot, AJ and Dermott more than likely. Personally I would do it as I think we need to stabilize that first pairing RHD and he brings some much needed leadership.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I am going to be bold here, so tag my post and bring it up later on for being right or wrong but:

Pietrangelo to the Leafs this summer on a two year deal

:)

President Skroob

Dec 21, 2019
Assuming Pietrangelo walks from the Blues, he would be an ideal RHD partner for Dahlin. I’m anticipating Risto finally gets traded for forward help. What is the speculated value of his new contract? Something in the $10.5 to 11 million for 6/7 years? Sabres will have approximately $35 million in cap space heading into the summer with a bunch of RFA’s and a couple of UFA’s to sign.

If only there was someone on the Blues who could tell him what it like to play for Buffalo....

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah, I don't see Pietrangelo leaving St. Louis to go to Buffalo.

This.

Personally, given their situation with the triplets, I can't see them moving anywhere but Toronto. She's from St. Louis and presumably where her family is, he's from a suburb of Toronto where his family is. He won a cup with the Blues, both are contenders with him in the lineup. He's coming off a $45.5m contract already, and both teams can swing a 7-8 year deal at $9-10m that will cement his family, and his kids families, for life. The Blues can offer 8 years to get the cap hit down, the Leafs can offer a ton of money up front and in bonuses.

Can he get more elsewhere? maybe/probably, but I think he'll value trade protection more than anything. I'd imagine that any deal with him includes a non-negotiable full (or highly restrictive) NTC for at least the first 5 years of it, with at least a NMC in year 1 to ensure expansion draft protection.

Reactions: bernmeister

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Is he tired of playing past 82 games? I don't see him going to anything other then a Contender, if he leaves the team he just won the Stanley Cup with.....

Sabres would probably have to hand a crippling contract to him, to entice him

Good one...:eyeroll:

Last edited:

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
He's a 30 year old captain/Stanley cup champion who recently had triplets - he'll be looking for a payday along with some security. And it will take a ton to lure him away from STL.

It will be long term for 60 million plus. I believe Pierre Leburn estimated the deal is likely between 8 x 8.25 (66 million) - 8 x 8.5 (68 million) from STL. If he does leave STL, a contending team will have to significantly outbid Doug Armstrong and the Blues. He's not uprooting himself or his family from a great situation for anything less than that.

2 year deals and non-competitive teams have no chance.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Any team giving Pietro $10+x7/8 is going to have to live with overpaying him dramatically over the later part of is contract.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
He's a 30 year old captain/Stanley cup champion who recently had triplets - he'll be looking for a payday along with some security. And it will take a ton to lure him away from STL.

It will be long term for 60 million plus. I believe Pierre Leburn estimated the deal is likely between 8 x 8.25 (66 million) - 8 x 8.5 (68 million) from STL. If he does leave STL, a contending team will have to significantly outbid Doug Armstrong and the Blues. He's not uprooting himself or his family from a great situation for anything less than that.

2 year deals and non-competitive teams have no chance.

Honestly, that 8th year that St. Louis can offer may be the trump card in being able to get his cap hit down. It's not like Tavares where he's going to be 35 at the end of his deal and potentially still in line for a reasonable contract. At 38, Pietrangelo is probably going to be looking a very cheap deals at that point.

The real question is -- do the Blues have the ability to front load this deal where he might make $12m+ in the first couple of years with a heavy dose of signing bonuses, without that coming off their budget line? The blues already did it with Faulk & Schenn, but didn't do any signing bonuses.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good one...:eyeroll:
Sorry but it's true. The players play for a cup. Not to try and be some savior for a franchise that has shown their inability to achieve success. I dont even mean championships, But just make the playoffs. The contract Buffalo would have to offer elite F/A will quickly scuttle any successful roster construction.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Honestly, that 8th year that St. Louis can offer may be the trump card in being able to get his cap hit down. It's not like Tavares where he's going to be 35 at the end of his deal and potentially still in line for a reasonable contract. At 38, Pietrangelo is probably going to be looking a very cheap deals at that point.

The real question is -- do the Blues have the ability to front load this deal where he might make $12m+ in the first couple of years with a heavy dose of signing bonuses, without that coming off their budget line? The blues already did it with Faulk & Schenn, but didn't do any signing bonuses.
Blues don't have a "budget" like they use to

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sorry but it's true. The players play for a cup. Not to try and be some savior for a franchise that has shown their inability to achieve success. I dont even mean championships, But just make the playoffs. The contract Buffalo would have to offer elite F/A will quickly scuttle any successful roster construction.

This post pretty much covers that:

Yeah, I don't see Pietrangelo leaving St. Louis to go to Buffalo.

The rest is just stuff I’d expect from troll accounts created 5 days ago just to get a rise out of someone.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Blues don't have a "budget" like they use to

Everyone's got a budget. The Blues one is obviously much higher after winning the Stanley Cup, but we don't know how much of that have been taken up by Faulk/Schenn.

It's also interesting, that neither of those contracts contain signing bonuses of any kind.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This post pretty much covers that:

The rest is just stuff I’d expect from troll accounts created 5 days ago just to get a rise out of someone.
OP isnt a troll acct. though. Just responding to them.
Everyone's got a budget. The Blues one is obviously much higher after winning the Stanley Cup, but we don't know how much of that have been taken up by Faulk/Schenn.

It's also interesting, that neither of those contracts contain signing bonuses of any kind.
that's a fair point, and we can throw out what whatever absurd numbers to say "well Stl, wouldn't pay that but DA is fine with front loading contracts. Iirc Army has stated that the AAV is that they are after. He built the Blues like Boston, a bunch of really good players but no "super stars". If Pietrangelo walks, I doubt his contract will be south of 70m

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad