Speculation: Pietrangelo Close To Signing Extension (could be tonight)

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The Blues only have 7.7M in cap space for next season. Won't they run afoul of tagging rules if Pietrangelo's cap hit is higher than that?

They could of course come to an agreement but not actually sign anything until they free up the necessary space.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If this does indeed happen, would the Blues consider this deal....

To STL: Klefbom

To EDM: Parayko

Maybe I’m looking into the LH/RH pairings, but it would even things up for both sides. Klefbom has been a bit injury prone (but freak injuries), but is cheaper and signed for one year longer.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

Maybe I’m looking into the LH/RH pairings, but it would even things up for both sides. Klefbom has been a bit injury prone (but freak injuries), but is cheaper and signed for one year longer.

I would not even consider it, but I am a big Parayko fan

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Doug Armstrong is red hot

Shattenkirk = Sandford + 1st (1st used for Schenn)
Lehtera = Schenn
Reaves = Sundqvist + 1st (Kostin)
Stasnty = Foley + 1st (Bokk)
10 million AAV = Perron + Bozak + Maroon
Berglund, Sobotka, Thompson = O'Reilly
Bokk +Edmundson = Faulk
15-16 Million AAV (expected) = Pietrangelo and Schenn
Draft = Binnington, Parayko, Dunn, Thomas, Blais, Kostin and Kyrou all picked after 20th overall

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Blues only have 7.7M in cap space for next season. Won't they run afoul of tagging rules if Pietrangelo's cap hit is higher than that?

They could of course come to an agreement but not actually sign anything until they free up the necessary space.

They probably used up $1.2m in tagging to sign Schenn. There's still potentially $2m in tagging left just from Bouwmeester. Plus can potentially tag some of the RFA's. This won't create a problem as tagging space increases after March 1st, so will still be able to QO the RFA's.

Shouldn't be an obstacle to getting Pietrangelo his well earned 8 x $9m or so.

edit: I don't think Faulk should make a difference because his extension was signed during the off-season under the 10%+ summer cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Some Other Flame

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Doug Armstrong is red hot

Shattenkirk = Sandford + 1st (1st used for Schenn)
Lehtera = Schenn
Reaves = Sundqvist + 1st (Kostin)
Stasnty = Bokk +1st
10 million AAV = Perron + Bozak + Maroon
Berglund, Sobotka, Thompson = O'Reilly
Bokk +Edmundson = Faulk
15-16 Million AAV (expected) = Pietrangelo and Schenn
Draft = Binnington, Parayko, Dunn, Thomas, Blais, Kostin and Kyrou all picked after 20th overall

Plus he just crafted a Cup winner

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Anything under $10M is a great deal. He's a world-class defenseman. Elite defensively, excellent puck-mover, can play against size, speed, and skill and come out on top. St. Louis is extremely lucky to have him.

Wouldn't surprise me if they can pull off one more cup. They've got more youth on the way up.

Reactions: TarasenkosForearm

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

pietrangelo signing doesn't make parayko less valueable. package would have to start with nurse and the blues would probably still say no.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
RIP all the teams whose plan to overhaul their defense was " just sign Pietrangelo"

giphy.gif

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
NO, Canadian players do not want to play in Canada. JT was the exception, not the rule. Well, other than when they get old and even then it's rare.

Do you really need someone to post all the Canadians playing for Canadian teams? I'm willing to bet there is a lot of them.

You could have stopped with Bob McKenzie and everyone would have figured out the rest automatically :sarcasm::laugh:
Are you chirping Bob?

Thread is about the blues yet other fans try to use it to take shots at Toronto.
=every thread on HF.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018

You can package Klefbom and Bouchard and the Blues still would not accept that. Parayko is #1, Klefbom is a #3 and Bouchard is nothing great.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Everyone coming up with 9-10M AAV signings are just out of this world.

The Blues aren't "Toronto". Their internal cap structure has their best players right now making $7.5M AAV on recent deals.

Assuming Pietrangelo keeps the same cap hit % for his next deal (in exchange for an 8 years deal) he'd likely get 8.25M AAV, but since this contract will take him to age 37 or so, the team might pull something around 7.75/8M. (The lowest of which, for those wondering, is equal to $9.1M AAV in Toronto).

So yeah, for him to get that 8th year, means he'll be lower (7.5-8.25) than what most people here expect. It's not because one market is blowing it out of the water with signing all of their players to high cap hits that the trend will translate across the league, as seen on all recent deals.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean, go to the Faulk thread, how many were saying Petro was destined to leave and go to Toronto? This is HF, it should be expected.

Let's wait until the off-season. I think the only one that might be on uneven ground after the Pietrangelo signing would be Parayko. As a Toronto fun I would love to have him...just like the other 29 teams in the league would. The $ allocated to RD just stands out quite a bit.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Let's wait until the off-season. I think the only one that might be on uneven ground after the Pietrangelo signing would be Parayko. As a Toronto fun I would love to have him...just like the other 29 teams in the league would. The $ allocated to RD just stands out quite a bit.
I mean you sort of prove the point right here. There is no rational explanation for why Parayko would be on uneven ground.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I mean you sort of prove the point right here. There is no rational explanation for why Parayko would be on uneven ground.

Just money allocation. Outside of Dunn, not much at LD side.

Sure, it *could* be done having a right side of Pietrangelo-Parayko-Faulk but just seems like diminishing returns and not getting your dollars worth by paying someone around 6M to play 3rd pairing minutes etc.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Just money allocation. Outside of Dunn, not much at LD side.

Sure, it *could* be done having a right side of Pietrangelo-Parayko-Faulk but just seems like diminishing returns and not getting your dollars worth by paying someone around 6M to play 3rd pairing minutes etc.
All 3 will get 20+ minutes. Petro has played on the left throughout his career, Parayko at times.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
All 3 will get 20+ minutes. Petro has played on the left throughout his career, Parayko at times.

We'll see what happens this off-season, I definitely don't have a crystal ball. Just going based on what I see as surplus etc.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Never thought he wanted to leave. Some teams know how to get it done early and without much fanfare. Happy for Blues fans if true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad