Speculation: Pietrangelo Close To Signing Extension (could be tonight)

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
You can package Klefbom and Bouchard and the Blues still would not accept that. Parayko is #1, Klefbom is a #3 and Bouchard is nothing great.

I can appreciate that Parayko is a fan fave, and I’d be willing to agree he’s better than Klefbom, but Parayko a #1? Does that make Pietrangelo generational then?

You wanna keep the guy. Completely understandable. But don’t act like Klefbom isn’t in the same value range.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I can appreciate that Parayko is a fan fave, and I’d be willing to agree he’s better than Klefbom, but Parayko a #1? Does that make Pietrangelo generational then?

You wanna keep the guy. Completely understandable. But don’t act like Klefbom isn’t in the same value range.

Go Google top 20 defenseman lists this year, Parayko is in almost all the ones I've seen, he is a #1

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Parayko’s value range

A whole other value range

Klefbom’s value range

(And I like Klefbom)

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
so Vince Dunn is exposed?
Not sure, Blues will probably make a deal with Seattle to take who the Blues want them to take, instead of the best pick. (Example: if you pick Allen, we'll give you a 2nd and a player)

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
I wouldnt consider this speculation. Rivers has connections with the team but its more of buddy buddy connections not front office business side of things connections. This is nothing more than a personality hoping to see something. As has been widely reported for a while Armstrong was meeting with Petro's agent today for the first time. Thats right the before today the Blues have not talked extension with Petro at all. Since today was the meeting Rivers is throwing something out there based on his own desires and not any inside information.

I listen to Rivers pretty regularly and have never heard him break anything or even give any actual insider info. He regularly talks about what he wants to see happen or what he could see happening. He regularly says things like "i know something but i cant say anything" If he had inside info on this he wouldnt share it, its not his style and he enjoys his role within the organization.

It was posted at 9:30 in the morning but says he may be drunk? Should give away that it shouldnt be taken seriously

so Vince Dunn is exposed?

Not sure, Blues will probably make a deal with Seattle to take who the Blues want them to take, instead of the best pick. (Example: if you pick Allen, we'll give you a 2nd and a player)

If Petro is resigned Faulk is gone in the expansion draft he is a luxury at this point. Long term no way the Blues keep that much $ tied up in 3 dmen. Faulk will be attractive to Seattle as he is under contract for several years and can mentor their young line up. If the Blues want to keep Faulk they will do a trade ahead of time to arrange the pick.

Yes both Petro and Parayko are considered #1D by many many people. It is possible for a team to have 2 high end Dmen. You wont find a single Blues fan that would trade Parayko straight up to Klefbom as proposed earlier in this thread.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
I'm merely using capfriendly's income tax calculator.

$10M AAV in Toronto nets ~ $4.675M after tax (then you take out escrow + agent fees so it's even lower.)

To replicate the same after tax (although, lower AAV means lower agent fees & escrow so that's further benefiting the team offering the lower AAV.) dollars in St. Louis, the AAV has to be $8.61M AAV.

So yes, once you factor in the tax differences, the agent fees, escrow, having to sell his house & move his family, not getting that 8th year of guaranteed money available to him, etc.

The price tag on any team not named St. Louis will be so high that it will be a bad contract within 3 years. Heck, even at 8M ish, Pietrangelo's last 3-4 years of his contract will be a headache.

Capfriendly’s calculator is an oversimplified spitball attempt at taxes. It completely ignores all sorts of real world tax planning strategies players can utilize to reduce their effective tax rate. And the more highly compensated the player is the more likely their agent is working with tax planners to maximize the player’s take home pay.

And that still skips my point that Toronto isn’t the only team that might be willing to give Pietro $10m next summer.

Also fwiw, I think Pietrangelo’s game is one that should age well as he hits his mid 30’s.

Something that neither of you ( nor anyone in the thread ) has talked about is the family ties to STL. His wife is an STL native, and they have triplets that are barely a couple years old. Unless there is a strong desire to leave STL, or they are WAY apart on salary or term, I don't see Petro going anywhere. This team is set up for success over the next 3-5 years, and there is never any guarantee that the team a player is going to will win the cup. After winning one, outside of blatant overpayment or underpayment, would you leave a very competitive team that is all that you have professionally known and given you a family? I wouldn't.

Regardless, if he decides to leave STL, I don't think he signs with TOR.

Reactions: xNogaitx

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Parayko was the shutdown guy from about the 2nd half and through the playoffs last season, he's a #1.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

From Dom's season preview of the Blues, here: 2019-20 NHL Season Preview: St. Louis Blues

As strong as St. Louis’ forward depth looks, the defense is the backbone of this team, a stingy group buoyed by two elite forces on the right side: Alex Pietrangelo and Colton Parayko. That’s a strong one-two punch of shutdown options that few teams can match.
He’s (Parayko) a top 20 defenseman in the league with his impact being mostly felt on defense, where he is the league’s best according to my model. His combined ability to consistently suppress goals and expected goals is second to none. Last year his expected goals against RAPM was second best to only Niklas Hjalmarsson while his actual goals against rate was first. Perhaps even more impressive is that despite being one of hockey’s most effective shutdown defenders, Parayko plays a very clean game with a projected plus-three penalty differential that ranks as one of the league’s best. That’s very difficult to do in his role.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Quite a few likes my post received. Apparently I'm not the only one who thought I "contributed" ;)
You measure your contributions in terms of “likes”?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hope he re-ups. Like it when players like him stay with their team for their careers.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Something that neither of you ( nor anyone in the thread ) has talked about is the family ties to STL. His wife is an STL native, and they have triplets that are barely a couple years old. Unless there is a strong desire to leave STL, or they are WAY apart on salary or term, I don't see Petro going anywhere. This team is set up for success over the next 3-5 years, and there is never any guarantee that the team a player is going to will win the cup. After winning one, outside of blatant overpayment or underpayment, would you leave a very competitive team that is all that you have professionally known and given you a family? I wouldn't.

Regardless, if he decides to leave STL, I don't think he signs with TOR.
So if the Blues try to resign Petro, wouldn't it make sense for the Blues to load up on the salary in the first 5 years of the deal where Petro is receiving the majority of his money then it leaves the Blues the possibility of buying him out in the latter years of the deal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So if the Blues try to resign Petro, wouldn't it make sense for the Blues to load up on the salary in the first 5 years of the deal where Petro is receiving the majority of his money then it leaves the Blues the possibility of buying him out in the latter years of the deal.

If the team plans to buy the player out in the final years of the deal then the absolute opposite is better--More money in the latter years of the deal.

Reactions: MissouriMook

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Same reason why they signed Bozak and then immediately traded for ROR. Anything you can do to improve your team, you do. Cup windows don't remain open forever and you take advantage of it when you can.

And bringing back the exact same team the year after a championship is the worst thing you can do.

if you see an upgrade, go for it, even if it'll cost you the status quo.

Reactions: 67Blues

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the team plans to buy the player out in the final years of the deal then the absolute opposite is better--More money in the latter years of the deal.
Yes. Front loading a deal, means that you have to trade the player as you will be eating the extra cash over cap hit you have paid the player when you do a buy out.

Thus if you front load, that player has to be worth the salary he is due if you’re going to unload him without adding a big sweetener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->