TSN: Pierre McGuire says McDavid and Matthews battling for 2nd best player in NHL

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Excellent way of looking at it. I will lighten up. :)

Thanks.

Sometimes I come here and get ground down by the seriousness of it all. Dour. Heck, I like the Leafs, they've got some great players, I think they've a good team that's going to get better and I want to enjoy that. You can leave with a smile on your face, too.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Haha his troll laugh after realizing he said it on Montreal radio.. love it.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
People/media have no problem talking about Laine that way...why does everyone get so emotional when its Matthews turn? It's not like the numbers or eye test discredit him unlike Laine.

Trying to be inclusive towards a city that no one cares about. :laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Is it just that Matthews a Leaf, and that possibly, just can not be that the Leafs could have someone that good?

No one is saying he won't be because lets face it, the kids elite. Even the biggest pessimist will admit that. All he needs is a longer track record. After 3-4 years we'll know exactly what type of player we have (and that's not even his prime).

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I dunno. I wouldn't say it, and it's out on a bit of a limb, but not exactly ridiculous. If 2-3 months from now, Pierre looks more right than wrong, how surprised will you really be?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well, it's the irrelevant Pierre McQuire speaking. I don't know if Matthews will ever will the Hart trophy winner but in a few years he could be a top 5 player in the league every year for years.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I hate our media. This is the same clowns that said andersen was a terrible signing after his 3rd game with the team

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Like I really care a sens, habs fan etc. hates me?:laugh: so I value one of my own players more than some other guy so I wear blue and white goggles. Yep I'm a fan as in fanatic...

If Matthews was on the Montreal hockey team their fans would be proclaiming him as the best player in the world right now besides Price.

They'd also have some ridiculous nickname for him with connotations of religion in it.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews plays with 2 rookies. Matthews is nearly PPG in that respect. If he had line mates with even a bit more finish, he would be above PPG, EASILY. Again, as I said before; put Matthews and Marner together, and they're both top 5 in scoring and one of them will probably lead the NHL.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
But his play is not that of the second best player in the league. There's several criteria where he's behind the likes of Burns, McDavid, Kane, Panarin, Hedman, Malkin, etc. To some, he's not even the best rookie in the NHL. I find that kind of evaluation amusing, but it depends on how much weight you give certain aspects of the game.

I'm in the "it's only been half a season" boat. The Matthews we see today could be that much better as he gets older and the surrounding players get better.

He's not even the best rookie??? Sorry cherry pick your post I now there's been multiple posts that state this but honestly he's been hands down the best rookie this year. Some Leafs fans are so shell shocked by the past they believe there is no way a Leaf player can be the best or among the best at anything in the league. The idea can't even be entertained. It's tragic. :shakehead:shakehead
Matthews is really that good!! The whole league is talking about him. NBC is picking up Leaf games because of him. What this kid is doing is special. What more do you need to believe in him??? :help:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm a huge Matthews fan, but that entire discussion is absurd.

The sample size isn't there for such claims. Hell, Marner is three points behind the guy battling for 2nd best player.

Sample size isn't there to say he has been the 2nd or 3rd best this year? I mean that is literally the sample size you need, just the games this year. Saying he is the 2nd or 3rd best in the league is a different conversation, but when speaking to this year, he is up there.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Sample size isn't there to say he has been the 2nd or 3rd best this year? I mean that is literally the sample size you need, just the games this year. Saying he is the 2nd or 3rd best in the league is a different conversation, but when speaking to this year, he is up there.

I still don't see how he fits into the top 2.

If the sample size is just this season, he's 21st in pts/gm (to account for games in hand). This ignores goalies such as Dubnyk or a plethora of elite defencemen.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's McGuire. He exaggerates. Matthews has been great, but not top 2 good.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
PM has Jinx the Leafs enough. Lol. I think it's early, but if Matthews continued at his current pace, put up 40-50 goal 100+ point seasons, there is no doubt he would be in the convo. He's half way through his first season though, so yeah,,it's early. Love the kid so far...best we've had in a long long long time.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Matthews is taking the Leafs on his shoulders and carrying them.

His winger with the most even-strength points is Hyman.

Think the guy is in beast mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad