TSN: Pierre McGuire says McDavid and Matthews battling for 2nd best player in NHL

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Look at how much he's producing. That's not really a stretch. That doesn't make him the 2nd best player in the league, it means this season he's playing like it.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Look at how much he's producing. That's not really a stretch. That doesn't make him the 2nd best player in the league, it means this season he's playing like it.

But his play is not that of the second best player in the league. There's several criteria where he's behind the likes of Burns, McDavid, Kane, Panarin, Hedman, Malkin, etc. To some, he's not even the best rookie in the NHL. I find that kind of evaluation amusing, but it depends on how much weight you give certain aspects of the game.

I'm in the "it's only been half a season" boat. The Matthews we see today could be that much better as he gets older and the surrounding players get better.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
:laugh:

Not second best rookie.

Not second best center.

Second best player.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Come on.
I don't think some people realize how good he's really been. He has more goals than Ovechkin. One goal off 2nd in the league and the Leafs have played less games than most. Maybe he's not 2nd but it's not crazy to have him in the conversation. Outscoring OV,Kane,Tarasenko etc.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I don't think some people realize how good he's really been. He has more goals than Ovechkin. One goal off 2nd in the league and the Leafs have played less games than most. Maybe he's not 2nd but it's not crazy to have him in the conversation. Outscoring OV,Kane,Tarasenko etc.

I'm a huge Matthews fan, but that entire discussion is absurd.

The sample size isn't there for such claims. Hell, Marner is three points behind the guy battling for 2nd best player.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah he's amazing, but he definitely hasn't been the second most dominating player in the league just based on the eye test. And he doesn't have the second best stats in the league. And while his defense is great for a rookie he's not an elite defender...what could this possibly be based on.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

The sample size isn't there for such claims. Hell, Marner is three points behind the guy battling for 2nd best player.

Oh, I don't believe he's the 2nd best but we both know goals hold more value to most people vs assists. It's been half a season so it is silly but this is what the media does.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
The question posed to pierre was "who has been the second best player in the league up to this point?" Sample size is irrelevant.

Pierre argued who would you rather pay to see play this year? What player gets you out of your seat like Matthews.?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
TSN is such a joke network, it is stuff like this that made them lose the NHL deal.

Or at least should have.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The question posed to pierre was "who has been the second best player in the league up to this point?" Sample size is irrelevant.

Pierre argued who would you rather pay to see play this year? What player gets you out of your seat like Matthews.?

Marner does.

And that's just the Leafs.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

lol so Marner may be battling for 4th best player??? :laugh:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This is what makes every other Canadian team fans hate Leaf fans. Because they twist and turn this into a "Leaf fans think Matthews is better than McDavid" argument

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'll be interesting to see how Matthews produces closer to the playoffs. His playing style tends to shine when teams play a tighter game. It's quite possible that his numbers may end up trending upwards instead.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
McDavid is currently the better player, its not even a discussion. Some day Matthews might be the better player but not currently.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
TSN is such a joke network, it is stuff like this that made them lose the NHL deal.

Or at least should have.

No its doing your due diligence on an investment and deciding that the ROI on that investment didn't warrant the price SNET paid and considering the early returns for Rogers, TSN was wise to pass on the deal. OBTW the guy who led the acquisition of the rights of the NHL broadcast for Rogers is now gone along with a number of other exec's that played important roles in that debacle are gone too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
he's right. the stats haven't caught up to the play yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad