TSN Radio Pierre McGuire: Jason Arnott could be a good fit for Maple Leafs.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
UFA. Just turned 38 years old in October.

6'5, 220 lbs centre. Has averaged 70 games or so, the last few seasons.

Still good for about 35 points a season.

Bozak
Grabovski
Arnott
McClement

?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

Bozak
Grabovski
Arnott
McClement

?
He'd probably outscore Bozak if he was in the 1st line. Definitely a Carlyle type player. Too many forwards at the moment though, need to clear some mediocre ones out.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
Dont see any room. Lineup is to full right now. Maybe if a deal was made, id love to have him, but just doesnt fit right now. The way i see the line-up

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Mac-Grabo-Kulemin
Jvr-Mcclement-Komorov
Conolly-Steckel-Brown

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I wanted Arnott a few years ago, he'd provide some good two-way play and significantly upgrade the leadership of the team.

We'd have to make room though, it's pretty tight up front as is, especially since I think it's about time Kadri got a full long look, and Frattin should be up as well.

Connolly/Lombardi probably can't be moved until closer to the deadline, MacArthur should be moved as well at some point (I don't see him in the longterm plans). Bozak I could go either way on, and Lupul is an enigma. Probably has good trade value, but if last year wasn't a fluke, then we'll be kicking ourselves if we move him instead of sign him. Also, I think he's got a great personality, could be a good leader.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
If Leafs are going young Arnott would be a great vet to have around until the trade deadline

could show Colborne how to use his size

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another race to the bottom player at the tail end of his career, since I am really hoping we finish in the bottom 4, sign him up. Not the player he once was but he is a leader and this team has none, so he can help in the room I suppose.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
38 year old center? No thanks. It looks like we'll be hard pressed to find a spot for a Nazem Kadri or Matt Frattin as it stands.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
I like the idea of a vet leader like him who is a Carlyle type of guy on the team.

Issue is with room on the club.

Bozak
Grabovski
McClement
Steckle

Who do we bench for him?
Bozak isn't a 1C but Arnott can't keep up with Lupul/Kessel
Grabo is a better player right now.
McClement could bump down to the 4th line but then we sit Steckle, and Steckle has been a FO wiz for us.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Nonis was pretty transparent yesterday when asked if he would be exploring other free agents. He replied in the negative.

I think he really wants to go in with a young team.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO

Bozak
Grabovski
Arnott
McClement

?

we need him for what? to win the cup?:sarcasm: back to burke type of deals.
bring up colborne, use the prospects, let them get there feet wet in the NHL, 48 games, than see who can play or not in the nhl, start in the summer with adding good ufa's to fill the holes.
48 games should be a showcase for our young prospects, not sign more oldies,
lets get serious, we are not going to make the playoffs.
but if we make the playoffs with our young prospects playing, that will be a bonus, to build on.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think he would be a good veteran to have. We need a veteran or 2 of his caliber.

With that said, I'm not sure where he fits at all. There's too many bodies as it is.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't think Arnott can really dictate as to where he wants to play. I'm sure if a job offer came, he would pounce on it.

I'm not sold on the Arnott acquisition. As much as I would have loved him on the team 5 years ago, he just doesn't have it anymore. He is somewhat effective, but it just reminds me of the same old Leafs.

Kyle Doobas*

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded signing him a few years ago, but now it just seems like kind of a pointless move in the wrong direction. We have too many stop-gap players now as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad