TSN: Pierre McGuire fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting to here on Wally and Methot that Pierre McGuire was in contact with the players behind the scenes in his role and well liked by them. Not sure if they meant in the NHL or in Belleville, or both

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Interesting to here on Wally and Methot that Pierre McGuire was in contact with the players behind the scenes in his role and well liked by them. Not sure if they meant in the NHL or in Belleville, or both
I have zero doubt's about that. He isn't the poison root in the organization, the other Pierre is, and it's been growing for 6 years

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think he was referencing the NHL team. Wally saying he was well liked, Methot trying to throw shade on it saying it just wasn't a good fit.

On a side note, whoever Methot paid to cut his hair, he should ask for a refund

R2010

May 23, 2011
I have zero doubt's about that. He isn't the poison root in the organization, the other Pierre is, and it's been growing for 6 years

There's a lot of things to say about Pierre McGuire negative but I cannot see him treating people the way Dorion has under any circumstance.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if this was a cost savings move possible a head of an Alfy type taking a role with the team.

What type of salary does Alfy demand to preform whatever duty he may take?

Any money he makes comes out of an on ice budget when your a sub cap team. Maybe Alfy can sell tickets but if he makes $250G he needs to convince 10 000 fans to grab some cheap tickets. If he wants a million to hang around he’d have to boost season tickets by about 1000 per game.

Do guys like Alfy hav want interest in volunteering to be with the team or is this a all about their compensation ?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I wonder if this was a cost savings move possible a head of an Alfy type taking a role with the team.

What type of salary does Alfy demand to preform whatever duty he may take?

Any money he makes comes out of an on ice budget when your a sub cap team. Maybe Alfy can sell tickets but if he makes $250G he needs to convince 10 000 fans to grab some cheap tickets. If he wants a million to hang around he’d have to boost season tickets by about 1000 per game.

Do guys like Alfy hav want interest in volunteering to be with the team or is this a all about their compensation ?

Alfredsson won't accept a role with the team so long as Pierre Dorion is still employed here, so it doesn't matter.

Besides, hiring Alfredsson isn't required if the Melnyk daughters want to improve ticket sales. If they fired Dorion and replaced him with a cardboard cutout of Radek Bonk, ticket sales would increase. I'm guessing Dorion makes ~750k, while getting a life-sized cutout printed would probably run you a couple hundred bucks, so the economics of that move are pretty attractive.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I never got why they hired him in the 1st place. :huh:

Mcquire was always really positive about the Sens rebuild and “Pierre Dorion Junior who’s father Pierre Dorion was one of the most respected scouts in the history of hockey, I’m telling you, enjoy your families and have a good weekend”

I think Melncyk didn’t have a lot of friends in hockey who he could turn to to help and Mcquire was the one guy who consistently pumped up the Sens rebuild “not just a lot I mean a whole lot like gargantuan amount of lots”

I think Melnyck hired him because Mcquire didn’t say no to him, that’s my take on it. Mcquire wants to be an NHL GM, and probably saw this as a great chance to get that job.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Alfredsson won't accept a role with the team so long as Pierre Dorion is still employed here, so it doesn't matter.

Besides, hiring Alfredsson isn't required if the Melnyk daughters want to improve ticket sales. If they fired Dorion and replaced him with a cardboard cutout of Radek Bonk, ticket sales would increase. I'm guessing Dorion makes ~750k, while getting a life-sized cutout printed would probably run you a couple hundred bucks, so the economics of that move are pretty attractive.
Where the heck do you make this shit up from?

Is there anything out there that says there is an issue between Dorion and Alfredsson?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Where the heck do you make this shit up from?

Is there anything out there that says there is an issue between Dorion and Alfredsson?

Yes, there's been speculation that Alfredsson left (the second time) because Dorion shut him out from major hockey ops decisions. Could that be untrue? Sure, it's a rumor.

But if the relationship is fine, and Alfredsson says he has, and has had, interest in a role with the team... why doesn't he have a role with the team?

If all was well, seems like a no-brainer, even if it's just from a pure PR standpoint, to me.

I guess we'll see if he's hired back this summer. I hear some budget in the front-office just opened up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pancakes Pancakes

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sens should be all over Spezza as soon as he retires, get him into a fast track role to take over as GM in 3/4 years. Hire a short term guy to lead into that. Groom Alfie as President of Hockey Ops. All is well for the 2028-29 Sens

• Love
Reactions: Agent Zub and R2010

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dorion is in his glory here now... No hockey people above him. No Melnyk to pander to. A hockey ops department that have witnessed his pettiness and experienced his medaling and finger pointing . And certainly no Pierre McGuire to offer alternative opinions and somehow threaten the job he performs so well. Pierre McGuire is better off escaping out from under Dorion who would only stain his reputation going forward.

Reactions: Cosmix

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Dorion is in his glory here now... No hockey people above him. No Melnyk to pander to. A hockey ops department that have witnessed his pettiness and experienced his medaling and finger pointing . And certainly no Pierre McGuire to offer alternative opinions and somehow threaten the job he performs so well. Pierre McGuire is better off escaping out from under Dorion who would only stain his reputation going forward.
He will lead the new ownership team next.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Eh, T.Murr brought in a bunch of guys that had off ice issues, it's one thing to bring in a struggling guy and give him a second chance with loads of support, it's another to put them all in one place.

Lehner was struggling with mental health and I believe substance abuse
O'Reilly was holding out on his up and coming team and crashed his car into the tim hortons while driving under the influence
E.Kane was a well know Dbag
He hired Ted Nolan only to scape goat him pretty much right away.

He tops it all off by publicly complaining about losing the lottery and missing out on McDavid (after actively tanking no less), must be great to hear that as a 18 year old highly touted 2nd OA in Jack Eichel.

I mean, is/was he better than Dorion? maybe, tough choice. But I don't really want T.Murr anywhere near the GM role here.
The ship has sailed for sure. At the time though it should have been an obvious choice and I know a lot of us were excited and hopeful with the prospect of him taking over.

You’ve got a few lies/exaggerations in your post that people like to spew but whatever.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The ship has sailed for sure. At the time though it should have been an obvious choice and I know a lot of us were excited and hopeful with the prospect of him taking over.

You’ve got a few lies/exaggerations in your post that people like to spew but whatever.
Where exactly am I lying or exaggerating?

O'reilly did hold out on the Avs and he did crash into a Tim Hortons
Kane has a well establish history going back to junior
Nolan did end up getting scapgoated
He did complain about not winning the lottery
It sure as heck looked like they were actively tanking.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Where exactly am I lying or exaggerating?

O'reilly did hold out on the Avs and he did crash into a Tim Hortons
Kane has a well establish history going back to junior
Nolan did end up getting scapgoated
He did complain about not winning the lottery
It sure as heck looked like they were actively tanking.

Tim Murray, much like Pierre Dorion (although in a different way), lacked the emotional awareness, social abilities, and leadership skills necessary to lead a franchise as a General Manager.

Both guys would be fine if they were sitting in a board room debating the pros and cons of prospects/players.

But when they have to set the tone, and put together a plan, for an entire organization, from top to bottom? And then have to go out and get support from others for their plan? That's trouble.

Murray definitely openly tanked and then sewered the guy they were going to pick in the media before the draft. But he's the type of guy who'd be oblivious to why that was stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad