Rumor: Pierre-Luc Dubois

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
COlumbus/Dayton area isn't bad, and I liked Cincinnati. Toledo and Cleveland are cesspools. That TWisted Tea incident had me wondering why I've heard of Elyria, and realized I've stayed there multiple times because it's the closest hotel to Lorain. There are definitely weird people in that area.

Manitoba is my least favorite place I've traveled for work. One city and the rest of it is one frozen expanse of nothingness. Manitoba is not a compliment, and if there's a state that's similar, it's the one just south of Manitoba.

depends on the part of Cleveland. East Cleveland can be rough, as can parts of down town but there are places like Little Italy, Asiatown, etc. that more than make up for it.

Elyria can be bizarre, though. This might sound a bit like a joke, but the failures of our mental health system are often on display there. Most of the people seem pretty harmless in a nutjob sort of way but are clearly a bit...off.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
For Kakko? Lafreniere?

Kakko plus, maybe.

My bet is he ends up on one of the California teams. LA has the most prospects to give up for the guy. Turcotte and Tyler Madden seem like they'd be good guys for a Torts team. Maybe another throw in.

Whatever the Jets lose in goals from Laine I think they make up for with better puck management and defensive play IF PLD is motivated and works hard.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is. They are on same paper.

No he really isn't. Torts likes defence first guys who play complete team game, and Laine is more offensive minded and has had teammates question his team work.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Kakko plus, maybe.

My bet is he ends up on one of the California teams. LA has the most prospects to give up for the guy. Turcotte and Tyler Madden seem like they'd be good guys for a Torts team. Maybe another throw in.

Whatever the Jets lose in goals from Laine I think they make up for with better puck management and defensive play IF PLD is motivated and works hard.

AA & Laine in the Top6, oooff. Kinda sexy, yet scary at the same time. AA on the forecheck/cheating in the Dzone for breakaways. Laine the late man & trigger on PP. Kopitar does his thing. That'd be an interesting line to try.

I wanted Madden, 1 pick before Regula.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No he really isn't. Torts likes defence first guys who play complete team game, and Laine is more offensive minded and has had teammates question his team work.

I'll predict the opposite.

I'll be back in this discussion after the season.

Laine person and all those damn rumours are so misunderstood as hell.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'll predict the opposite.

I'll be back in this discussion after the season.

Laine person and all those damn rumours are so misunderstood as hell.

Laine is not misunderstood. Or should I say, was not misunderstood. He's improved in his maturity as a player, he's more well rounded than he used to be. He's still not going to be a defense-first player, but he's not the same person he was 2 years ago.

I think as long as he gives Tortorella an honest effort as the player he is today, I think there will be no problems, even if he's not the perfect player in Tortorella's mind.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Laine is not misunderstood. Or should I say, was not misunderstood. He's improved in his maturity as a player, he's more well rounded than he used to be. He's still not going to be a defense-first player, but he's not the same person he was 2 years ago.

I think as long as he gives Tortorella an honest effort as the player he is today, I think there will be no problems, even if he's not the perfect player in Tortorella's mind.

Torts had a few guys who weren't defense first in Tampa that did alright in Lecavlier and St. Louis but he definitely asked them to play more responsibly.

One benefit for Laine in Columbus is that he's now the instant 1st line winger instead of being 2nd line in Winnipeg. I'd imagine that Nyquist (whenever he's healthy) will be the playmaker on his line.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Should he be defence-first player? Is Ovechkin that? Is that a problem for NHL team?

He is +0 on 305 games of his career. +3 at playoffs. With all the flaws and bad defensively, he isn't even on minus side.

Laine is neutral defensively, and them comes all the Elite scoring. We saw the playmaker-Laine last season... , there's so much more in him, than people give credit.

He is really honest and straight-forward person, that's why I think he will be great match with Tortorella. Only problem Laine had at Jets was the missed opportunity. He wanted the 1st line role, and those juggles with Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler didn't work.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Torts had a few guys who weren't defense first in Tampa that did alright in Lecavlier and St. Louis but he definitely asked them to play more responsibly.

One benefit for Laine in Columbus is that he's now the instant 1st line winger instead of being 2nd line in Winnipeg. I'd imagine that Nyquist (whenever he's healthy) will be the playmaker on his line.

Think there's two options, and first one being Nyquist (who is currently injured), with some cheking center like Jenner.

But at first think they'll try him with Domi as center and some worker like Foligno on the other wing.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Should he be defence-first player? Is Ovechkin that? Is that a problem for NHL team?

He is +0 on 305 games of his career. +3 at playoffs. With all the flaws and bad defensively, he isn't even on minus side.

Laine is neutral defensively, and them comes all the Elite scoring. We saw the playmaker-Laine last season... , there's so much more in him, than people give credit.

He is really honest and straight-forward person, that's why I think he will be great match with Tortorella. Only problem Laine had at Jets was the missed opportunity. He wanted the 1st line role, and those juggles with Scheifele, Connor and Wheeler didn't work.

I'm not suggesting that he needs to be a defense-first player. He's good enough offensively to cover up the flaws defensively, and you would think that with a team and coach like Columbus has, he may end up actually being positive because of how the rest of the team will play. I think this is a good fit, because the player Laine is today isn't going to cheat on effort; at least I don't think he will. That's really the only hurdle that I think needs to be cleared with Tortorella, and it's why we saw a quick and ugly end to the PLD saga. PLD stopped putting in the effort.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Foligno would be a good choice as the mucker and grinder on the line but Domi is kind of a liability out there.

Nyquist - Jenner - Laine could be pretty deady.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

He doesn't have a Kuznetsov or Backstrom.
And that's a problem for Columbus.
Will be interesting to see how he fits in Columbus. But I was not impressed with their passing at all.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He doesn't have a Kuznetsov or Backstrom.
And that's a problem for Columbus.
Will be interesting to see how he fits in Columbus. But I was not impressed with their passing at all.

Think Laine takes that duty, partially. He has a playmaker in him, that generational hand-eye works also for passing.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Think Laine takes that duty, partially. He has a playmaker in him, that generational hand-eye works also for passing.

We'll see.
Laine is the most skilled guy I've seen on the Blue Jackets - outside of Panarin, I guess.
But Columbus seems to have a way of reducing a player's production.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011

Agree...Panarin wasn't a defence-first guy and he loved Panarin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3