Confirmed with Link: Pierre Groulx's contract will not be renewed

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
HAHAHAHAHAh 8w 1L with a 2.29 and a 908 is not GREAT backup goaltending? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA oh man some of you guys kill me, who else wants to get schooled step right up

Elementary schooled mayhap.

void

Jan 5, 2006
HAHAHAHAHAh 8w 1L with a 2.29 and a 908 is not GREAT backup goaltending? HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA oh man some of you guys kill me, who else wants to get schooled step right up

Are you 12?

In his 2 years with the Habs, Budaj played in 30 games and has faced a total of 781 shots. In comparison, Price (in 2 years) has played in 104 games and has faced a total of 2935 shots. I'm not bashing Budaj but it's kinda hard to put up bad numbers if you're playing ~15 games per year and only have to face weaker opponents.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
"Can you explain why you developed a goaltending strategy that relied on being on your knees unless the puck was at the point?"
"Because Price is so big his shoulders cover the top part of the net."
"You are aware that you can't generate a lot of power from your knees for quick plays out in front or laterally?"
"Oh ****."

I was about to post something similar but not as a conversation. lol

I miss the times when Price was a big goalie that was covering all the net standing up. What's the point of having a big goalie if he's always on his knees?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Anybody but Allaire for the love of God. You think Melanson ruined Price? Then Allaire will be your worst nightmare. He will turn Price into a robot who relies 100% on the butterfly, and will become a mindless blocking goaltender. This isn't Price.

Allaire was the one who almost ruined Reimer. As much as this hurts to say, Reimer had a lot of upside when he first entered the league because he was still playing the style that made him successful. Although I believe that his concussion set him back a bit, It was Allaire that changed Reimer's style for the following season, which set him back tremendously.

The leafs ended up firing Allaire, and hiring Rick St. Croix (One of my personal favourite goaltending coaches, as I attended many of his goaltending schools), who has worked with Reimer in turning around his development. Goalie coaches really do matter, so I'm hoping the Habs take a step in the right direction by NOT hiring Allaire, and looking for a more modern hybrid style coach.

I like the idea of a Kolzig hire, however I doubt Washington lets him go.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Anybody but Allaire for the love of God. You think Melanson ruined Price? Then Allaire will be your worst nightmare. He will turn Price into a robot who relies 100% on the butterfly, and will become a mindless blocking goaltender. This isn't Price.

Allaire was the one who almost ruined Reimer. As much as this hurts to say, Reimer had a lot of upside when he first entered the league because he was still playing the style that made him successful. Although I believe that his concussion set him back a bit, It was Allaire that changed Reimer's style for the following season, which set him back tremendously.

The leafs ended up firing Allaire, and hiring Rick St. Croix (One of my personal favourite goaltending coaches, as I attended many of his goaltending schools), who has worked with Reimer in turning around his development. Goalie coaches really do matter, so I'm hoping the Habs take a step in the right direction by NOT hiring Allaire, and looking for a more modern hybrid style coach.

I like the idea of a Kolzig hire, however I doubt Washington lets him go.

I'm not going to act like I know the techniques of goalie styles, but I think Allarie desveres credit for Reimer's play, Allarie was the coached Reimer for the last couple of years. And while he was fired, and St Croix took over, how much work did Croix actually work with Reimer, during the lockout players and coaches couldn't speak, so its hard to believe Croix did his magic on Reimer in the 7 day training camp.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
So this new goalie coach is finally going to turn Price into a franchise goalie?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
So this new goalie coach is finally going to turn Price into a franchise goalie?

Name me an other goalie 25 or younger, you would take before Price to start a franchise

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal

Not sure if you're serious or not, but just in case, the most important goalie statistic (.908) is pretty weak. They also faced relatively weak oppositions. 8W is nice, but that's mostly a team statistic. 2.29 is nice, but it's linked to shot against, which is linked to opponent quality. For backups it's good enough, but no way can this be considered close to "great".

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
We needed a change, and the organization is handing the Price crowd ammunition for more excuses with this fire.

It's worth noting that the tables keep turning - a few years ago Melancon was crucified for "ruining" Price then following his 2011-2012 season, everyone was aboard the "Groulx is God" bandwagon. Now Groulx is in the same boat as Melancon.

Regardless of the next hire, this cycle will repeat itself until Price learns some ******* consistency and elevates his game to the next level, to quote him.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
You look at the goalies who are successful in recent memory (Quick, Thomas, Lundqvist, Rinne) and they all play there own unique style. People said Quick dropped to early, Lundqvist played too deep, Thomas' was too aggressive, but any time these guys tried to fix their technical "flaws" their production dropped.

Goaltending is a position 100% unique to every individual who plays it. Sure some general tips on angles, lateral training etc. are good but in the end you gotta let the guy play his way. Price needs to play the way he feels comfortable and tap in to his instincts as the elite goalies seem to do. A goalie coach's main purpose should be improving the athletic, mental and minor technical sides, not revamping their style. The way Price's style changed the past two years is not normal and isn't doing him any favours.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I'm not going to act like I know the techniques of goalie styles, but I think Allarie desveres credit for Reimer's play, Allarie was the coached Reimer for the last couple of years. And while he was fired, and St Croix took over, how much work did Croix actually work with Reimer, during the lockout players and coaches couldn't speak, so its hard to believe Croix did his magic on Reimer in the 7 day training camp.

2009-2010 (Marlies) 14-8-2 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.25 (GAA), .925 (SV%)
2010-2011 (Marlies) 9-5-1 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.59 (GAA), .920 (SV%)
2010-2011 (Leafs) 20-10-5 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.60 (GAA), .921 (SV%) (Allaire Half)
2011-2012 (Leafs) 14-14-4 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 3.10 (GAA), .900 (SV%) (Alaire)
2012-2013 (Leafs) 19-8-5 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.46 (GAA), .924 (SV%) (S.t Croix)
2013 Playoffs (Leafs) 3-2-2 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.88 (GAA), .923 (SV%) (S.t Croix)

No Doubt that Reimer's lowest years were under Allaire. Allaire transformed Reimer into a blocker style goaltender. Not to mention how he completely and utterly ruined Gustavsson by doing the exact same thing. Both of these goalies were athletically based goalies, who were forced to play like robots. They didn't have the frame, discipline, and knowledge/experience that it requires to be a blocking type goaltender. It worked with JS Giguere because he had all of those tools and previous blocking style knowledge.

S.t Croix started off by telling Reimer to revert back to what made him successful. If you check out video from when Reimer played in 2011-2012, and then check out video from this past season, you will see a huge difference. Reimer changed his style from a blocking goaltender to an athletic/hybrid based goaltender for this season. He was freed from the restrictions that were placed on him by Allaire (ie: Always keeping glove position at high, Achieve a widest possible butterfly, reduced desperation save method, stay on knees, ect). With Rick's hire, he was able to make positive changes to his game. Those changes were in large part due to the freedom that S.t Croix gives his goaltenders. He doesn't instill a style on a goalie, he recognizes the style that makes them successful and works with that. He improves that style instead of changing it.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Name me an other goalie 25 or younger, you would take before Price to start a franchise

25 years or younger? There's not a lot of goalies that can compete with him. I'm not denying his talent, I also don't think you start a franchise by paying a goalie $7m based on 1 elite season and hyped up potential.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
2009-2010 (Marlies) 14-8-2 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.25 (GAA), .925 (SV%)
2010-2011 (Marlies) 9-5-1 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.59 (GAA), .920 (SV%)
2010-2011 (Leafs) 20-10-5 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.60 (GAA), .921 (SV%) (Allaire Half)
2011-2012 (Leafs) 14-14-4 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 3.10 (GAA), .900 (SV%) (Alaire)
2012-2013 (Leafs) 19-8-5 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.46 (GAA), .924 (SV%) (S.t Croix)
2013 Playoffs (Leafs) 3-2-2 (Wins/Loss/OTL), 2.88 (GAA), .923 (SV%) (S.t Croix)

No Doubt that Reimer's lowest years were under Allaire. Allaire transformed Reimer into a blocker style goaltender. Not to mention how he completely and utterly ruined Gustavsson by doing the exact same thing. Both of these goalies were athletically based goalies, who were forced to play like robots. They didn't have the frame, discipline, and knowledge/experience that it requires to be a blocking type goaltender. It worked with JS Giguere because he had all of those tools and previous blocking style knowledge.

S.t Croix started off by telling Reimer to revert back to what made him successful. If you check out video from when Reimer played in 2011-2012, and then check out video from this past season, you will see a huge difference. Reimer changed his style from a blocking goaltender to an athletic/hybrid based goaltender for this season. He was freed from the restrictions that were placed on him by Allaire (ie: Always keeping glove position at high, Achieve a widest possible butterfly, reduced desperation save method, stay on knees, ect). With Rick's hire, he was able to make positive changes to his game. Those changes were in large part due to the freedom that S.t Croix gives his goaltenders. He doesn't instill a style on a goalie, he recognizes the style that makes them successful and works with that. He improves that style instead of changing it.

Having a wide butterfly and having your glove hand in the fingers up position are two things every goalie should do. I do however agree with the rest of your description and ire towards Allaire. It would be a disaster to get him.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I wonder what Hackett is doing these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad