Picture of Jose Altuve wearing buzzer device emerges

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
They should have at least put an asterisk next to their title. Roger Maris had one next to his record for decades and that was only because the commissioner at the time, Ford Frick, liked Babe Ruth so much that he thought he shouldn’t relinquish only one out of the dozens of records that he held at that time.

Reactions: Voight

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
They should have at least put an asterisk next to their title. Roger Maris had one next to his record for decades and that was only because the commissioner at the time, Ford Frick, liked Babe Ruth so much that he thought he shouldn’t relinquish only one out of the dozens of records that he held at that time.
yeah that's what i've been saying too

but at this point i think stripping them of the title would be the most appropriate option. just leave it blank like 1994

Reactions: tsujimoto74

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
The problem with stripping titles and asterisks is MLB would rather have this go away. Putting a blank space or an asterisk would lead every person who doesn't know what happened to look it up. It forever admits a failure by MLB.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They won’t strip the title. But everyone will know the year of 2017 is tainted. If you strip the Astros, then where does it end? You have to strip Bonds etc of their accomplishments then.

The events happened, they’ll just forever be tainted.

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
yeah we should definitely trust what these pieces of **** say

I don't trust them either, but when I first heard it I thought if MLB just did a 3-month investigation, something would have come up about this. Not necessarily from the Houston players testimony but from the many non-Houston players and former players they interviewed. I figured they'd have no problem spilling more on them at this point.

The buzzer thing seems to impractical to me as well. Sliding into bases, etc. you'd think it would be easy for something like that to be exposed. A jersey gets ripped, pulled, etc.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I don't trust them either, but when I first heard it I thought if MLB just did a 3-month investigation, something would have come up about this. Not necessarily from the Houston players testimony but from the many non-Houston players and former players they interviewed. I figured they'd have no problem spilling more on them at this point.

The buzzer thing seems to impractical to me as well. Sliding into bases, etc. you'd think it would be easy for something like that to be exposed. A jersey gets ripped, pulled, etc.
yeah i have zero faith in the "investigation" MLB conducted either

they have a lot to lose from doing damage to one of their golden franchises. as for the buzzer thing, i think its pretty damning when you watch the clip of altuve telling his teammates not to rip his jersey off and then blaming it on "being shy" when there are countless other instances where he had his jersey ripped off

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The buzzer things seems like the next logical step. The knock three times or two times or whatever kind of seemed like a Tony Orlando song:

My Best-Carey

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
yeah i have zero faith in the "investigation" MLB conducted either

they have a lot to lose from doing damage to one of their golden franchises

Oh don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I've had zero faith in MLB since the strike and steroid era. But I think there were enough external (non-Astro) people interviewed where this would have come out. I think even if MLB buried this someone would have gone to the press.

I also am not sure Houston really is one of their golden franchises. Yes they've had a recent spike in "success". But for all intents and purposes they're still in the eyes of baseball a small market team. I mean who cares about the Astros outside of Texas? It's not like Boston or the NY or LA teams or the Cubs that have huge nationwide fan bases. I think MLB is trying very hard to keep this an Astros cheating scandal only. I guess they can't though with Boston already implicated but you get my meaning. With the McDowell revelations yesterday I think they'll run out of fingers to plug the holes in the dike on this if more stuff keeps coming out.

But yeah I wish MLB was more detailed in the report. I'd love to hear that x player did this or x play in the World Series was definitely off an illegally-stolen pitch. If they can identify and prove specific players did specific things I'm all for long suspensions like with the steroids, 60 games, etc. You're right though counting on MLB to do the right thing is a stretch these days.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
One of the most enjoyable parts of this whole debacle, for me, is how silent Justin Verlander has been on social media.

Usually so quick to wag his finger from his ivory tower, isn't he? Any time another team did something slightly nefarious, he'd be the first and usually the loudest to cry about it.

Seems like he's got nothing to say these days.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

The last sentence of this tweet hammers it home. Funny how they don’t have any swagger or want to be on camera much anymore. Quiet as a mouse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad