Picture of Jose Altuve wearing buzzer device emerges

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
If the pitchers are throwing at the batter's, should they just accept it? Or will the Astros pitchers retaliate? Going to he a **** show

Also drunk Astros fans chirping with drunk or non drunk opposing fans. Lots of fights in the stands?????

Would you as an Astros fan really go on the road comfortably?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Would you as an Astros fan really go on the road comfortably?
I would but I wouldn't argue back. I would just accept the taunting, etc. I would also bring a hoody to hide my gear after the game/take off any gear once I'm out of the stadium. I would also potentially leave early if I felt I was in danger.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Letting the Asterisk's keep their championship is turning out to be one of the biggest farces in professional sports history.

I don't know about that, in a way it's probably good. Let them hang a banner, keep the trophy ... at this point it's almost a badge of shame. Vacating it really doesn't mean much of anything at this point ... it's already vacated in the eyes of almost all non-Astro fans. This is such a big story, that even decades from now people will hear "2017 Astros" and the first thing they'll think of is cheating.

What I would like to see, however, is a full disclosing of what players were most involved. Even if they have immunity from MLB punishment, they should be shamed for all eternity by the public. And any team who might sign them to a contract has a right to know if their numbers were inflated.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wonder if these scandals involving Altuve and Beltran will impact their chances of being inducted into the Hall of Fame

The majority of Beltran's career had nothing to do with this ****, it's not like he was on Houston for fifteen years and put up these numbers with the system in place, he was with Houston at the end of his career as a quasi player-coach. Altuve presumably will have to have good years going forward to make the HOF either way, and that'll lessen the perception cheating goosed his numbers.

Reactions: Voight

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What I would like to see, however, is a full disclosing of what players were most involved. Even if they have immunity from MLB punishment, they should be shamed for all eternity by the public. And any team who might sign them to a contract has a right to know if their numbers were inflated.

Given the way Manfred handled Beltran he could very well be telling teams behind closed doors who did what. He won't want stuff getting public to completely destroy the perception of the game though. Even the exhalted Judge Landis covered up Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker in another scandal after the Black Sox because that stuff going public would have destroyed the brand.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Given the way Manfred handled Beltran he could very well be telling teams behind closed doors who did what. He won't want stuff getting public to completely destroy the perception of the game though. Even the exhalted Judge Landis covered up Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker in another scandal after the Black Sox because that stuff going public would have destroyed the brand.

I think Manfred told the Mets everything he had on Beltran and they were horrified. That said he probably also said as of now he has no plans to publicly release it but that if something serious arises where he has no choice it will come out. At that stage if you’re the Mets you basically have to get rid of him out of concern something if comes out on 9/15 in the middle of a pennant race and you then have to fire him

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Sign stealing is such an important, impactful issue :rolleyes: that the pitcher with the highest ERA+ of all time, Mariano, threw one pitch.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
If the pitchers are throwing at the batter's, should they just accept it? Or will the Astros pitchers retaliate? Going to he a **** show

Also drunk Astros fans chirping with drunk or non drunk opposing fans. Lots of fights in the stands?????

If and when Houston batters are thrown at, there will probably be a warning issued. Retaliation from Houston pitchers will depend on the situation. Close game, probably nothing. Big difference in score, might be worth being tossed.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Of course by trying to keep it all from going public it is only increasing the perception that the game is dirty and doesn't have its house in order. It's like nothing was learned from the steroid era.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wonder if these scandals involving Altuve and Beltran will impact their chances of being inducted into the Hall of Fame

Beltran is fine, his final stop in Houston is irrelevant except for the ring**** he won.

Bonds/Clemens have never been proven to have taken steroids and they are still being shunned. Given this was a team thing and only for a season or two Altuve should be fine.

Now if the buzzer stuff was 100% confirmed...... he'd have some issues.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
2017 playoff splits for Altuve

Home : 6 hr 12 rbi 1.541 ops in 36 abs

Road : 1 hr 2 rbi .297 ops in 35 abs

Do with this info as you may....

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Sign stealing is such an important, impactful issue :rolleyes: that the pitcher with the highest ERA+ of all time, Mariano, threw one pitch.

Return to being silent, sophist. Obfuscating between batters being able to sit on offspeed vs. fastball often against starters who already can run into trouble when lineups see them multiple times and aren't brazenly cheating on the one hand, and an unhittable, elite pitch by a closer on the other is not really going to win anybody over.

It's better to just stay silent in your shame than to flail like this. Just looks more pathetic to everybody else. For what it's worth.

Reactions: Voight

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I remember Alex Rodriguez getting intentionally hit by Dempster when he came back from his ban. I wonder how every Away Astros game is going to go now.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I remember Alex Rodriguez getting intentionally hit by Dempster when he came back from his ban. I wonder how every Away Astros game is going to go now.
I’m sure the MLB will warn teams about it and put some heavy penalties if it happens. They’ll nip that issue right in the butt quickly.

Jeff Passan tweeted that owners weren’t even allowed to comment on the punishment the Astros were given or they would be given HARSHER penalties than what the Astros got.

The league will warn teams and say they’ll be suspended for X amount of games if you try throw at the Astros. Just my opinion.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The more I think about this the more I believe they should've been stripped of their title. Just list it as vacant in history books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad