Pickup Hockey Stereotypes

STC

Oct 29, 2012
I don't see a problem with it. If your on-ice vision is so bad that you can't tell if grey is on your team or not, then that's probably the bigger issue.

Besides, grey and yellow are light 80% of the time, but in times of extremely unbalanced play can be switched over to dark in a pinch. Keeps everything running smoothly.

ok I get it, you're an idiot.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
I don't see a problem with it. If your on-ice vision is so bad that you can't tell if grey is on your team or not, then that's probably the bigger issue.

Besides, grey and yellow are light 80% of the time, but in times of extremely unbalanced play can be switched over to dark in a pinch. Keeps everything running smoothly.

:laugh: nothing about this statement is true. Are u just trolling or being serious at this point.

It's about common courtesy to your fellow players.

See, the people who bring just one grey jersey are the ones that are counting that the rest of the group will not be doing so. It really is just selfish and very self-centered.

This.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I just assume guys who bring grey, yellow or red to pickup have some serious passive-aggressive personality issues. It's a "look at me, I'm a jerk" move.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Does "too much temper" fall under "too serious"? My team doesn't put me out there if things get too chippy or a little BS-like because I lose my **** and go after the other team's aggressor/goon/whatever...

I'm the "need a ride guy" if there ever was one.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I just assume guys who bring grey, yellow or red to pickup have some serious passive-aggressive personality issues. It's a "look at me, I'm a jerk" move.

Ain't nothing wrong with red unless you're one of the morons who pretends that you can play as white with it. It's a dark, play as a dark, jackwad.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
Ain't nothing wrong with red unless you're one of the morons who pretends that you can play as white with it. It's a dark, play as a dark, jackwad.

Nothing wrong with yellow too, at least where I'm around. Usually any coloured jersey is considered dark team, and whites are strictly white team.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Constantly calls for the puck, bangs stick on ice, whether open or not guy
Thinks he's in the NHL clearing around the crease guy
Last guy back and wants to dangle guy
Only in his own end for face-offs guy
Over confidence doesn't match the lacking skill set guy

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013

Around here it's alwqys white and red vs black and blue at shinny. I have no problems with that, it's the weird colours like gray and yellow that **** things up.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
ok I get it, you're an idiot.
Okay cool, I'm an idiot who can tell the difference between grey and black and plays hockey with my head up.

So if that makes me an idiot what the hell does it make people who can't tell the difference? Have you ever considered that maybe having to look up and think about who's on your team will make you a better hockey player?

Sure as hell a lot better than having your head buried in your feet and relying on black/white jerseys to know who you're "passing" to.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Regardless of being able to pick out who to pass to and who not to, ideally one team would be all in black and one white. It's not like getting a black or a white shirt (or both) is mission impossible or unaffordable. If anyone can't afford to outfit themselves properly it's a wonder they can afford to play pick up in the first place.

There are also some people who just like to be different for whatever reason, like they weren't paid enough attention as children or something.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Regardless of being able to pick out who to pass to and who not to, ideally one team would be all in black and one white. It's not like getting a black or a white shirt (or both) is mission impossible or unaffordable. If anyone can't afford to outfit themselves properly it's a wonder they can afford to play pick up in the first place.

There are also some people who just like to be different for whatever reason, like they weren't paid enough attention as children or something.

Exactly, they're just not smart enough to realize that they do stuff for underlying reasons. There's some anger behind people who REFUSE to buy a black and a white jersey. When they show up everybody has to pay special attention to them and figure out what team they should play on. Mommy and daddy must have skipped a birthday or hockey game growing up and now it's time to exact revenge on people who don't care about you (ie, mommy and daddy).

dimi19

Feb 19, 2010
i have to say, i think this is one of the best threads i have ever come across in the "The Rink" section of this board and just in this board in general. so many funny and accurate descriptions of different personalities and players. i am really enjoying reading all the comments. i hope this thread stays alive for a while. and would be awesome of the guys who made the video incorporate some of the suggestions, like the unsolicited advice guy, yellow/grey jersey guy, shin tapper guy, some brilliant ones here really.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Exactly, they're just not smart enough to realize that they do stuff for underlying reasons. There's some anger behind people who REFUSE to buy a black and a white jersey. When they show up everybody has to pay special attention to them and figure out what team they should play on. Mommy and daddy must have skipped a birthday or hockey game growing up and now it's time to exact revenge on people who don't care about you (ie, mommy and daddy).

Are you serious? This definitely is not how it goes, unless the guy comes in like full flaming red caps gear or flames habs gear or whatever. I wear a red jersey because I like red.

In the case of it, red=black and yellow=white when we play.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
This is about "pickup" hockey so to go a bit off topic, gray is the only confusing jersey color as a referee (unless one team is all in gray). Red (as long as it's on the "dark" team) and yellow (as long as it's on the "light" team) don't give me any trouble.

I'll just put it this way, I called the wrong team offside 3 times in one game because of just one guy wearing a gray jersey.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Honestly some of this jersey griping seems like grumpy old men *****ing about non-conformity. :laugh: Underlying psychological reasoning? Most people bring the jerseys they have, its not some closet quest for attention.
Yeah it's annoying if someone only brings an orange but lights vs darks is hardly rocket science.

PS. for the record I carry two blacks, an anaheim purple (mighty drunks), a yellow, and a white. Do not feel one iota of resentment to a guy if they at least have a a jersey that is clearly light or clearly dark (preferably one of each). But seriously- **** orange.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
I don't get why more people don't buy the reversible jerseys. They're great, one side is white the other is dark. It's the only jersey I have to keep in my bag.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't get why more people don't buy the reversible jerseys. They're great, one side is white the other is dark. It's the only jersey I have to keep in my bag.

IMO (and I think I could speak for a lot of younger guys and lifers) the disconnect. Jersey's -outside of teamsets and NHL- aren't really something I've ever thought to buy. You just accumulate them- practice jerseys, camp jerseys, one off beerleague and tournament jerseys.. Why go out and buy something especially for shinny and drop in?
Pretty standard way of thinking (in that it's something that we don't think about) where I'm from.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Okay cool, I'm an idiot who can tell the difference between grey and black and plays hockey with my head up.

So if that makes me an idiot what the hell does it make people who can't tell the difference? Have you ever considered that maybe having to look up and think about who's on your team will make you a better hockey player?

Sure as hell a lot better than having your head buried in your feet and relying on black/white jerseys to know who you're "passing" to.

:shakehead

Congrats on enforcing the belief that you're an idiot.

Based on your comments I'd also bet my mortgage that you suck at hockey.

I'm an A level player and I've never met anyone who's played the game who didn't find it annoying when someone shows up to rat wearing grey. Skating with your head up has nothing to do with it, dumbass.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
This is about "pickup" hockey so to go a bit off topic, gray is the only confusing jersey color as a referee (unless one team is all in gray). Red (as long as it's on the "dark" team) and yellow (as long as it's on the "light" team) don't give me any trouble.

I'll just put it this way, I called the wrong team offside 3 times in one game because of just one guy wearing a gray jersey.

uh dude, you need to start skating with your head up!!! Obviously you are a bender who skates around staring at his feet the whole game! All great players LOVE when people wear grey jerseys! In fact I'm pretty sure its one of the reasons Gretzky insisted on being traded to LA cause they have grey trim in the sweater!:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad