Pickup Hockey Stereotypes

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Open Hockey Frustrations

Like the other thread:

- Guy who tries to go end to end every time he has the puck and NEVER passes.

- When there's one goalie and teams are alternating shooting on the goalie v. shooting on the other net...guy who takes 5-6 minutes shifts during the ~10 minutes you're shooting on the goalie before the switch.

- Guy who gets chippy and tries to hit people or slew foot them.

- Overly serious guy who starts yelling at his "teammates"

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Like the other thread:

- Guy who tries to go end to end every time he has the puck and NEVER passes.

- When there's one goalie and teams are alternating shooting on the goalie v. shooting on the other net...guy who takes 5-6 minutes shifts during the ~10 minutes you're shooting on the goalie before the switch.

- Guy who gets chippy and tries to hit people or slew foot them.

- Overly serious guy who starts yelling at his "teammates"

guy who can't skate but judges your playing

GetchaGrubbOn

Apr 10, 2014
Albany, NY
It's mostly the long shifts that get to me, especially when it's a group of skaters and not just one guy who thinks he needs to be out there. Played with a team of 7 and a goalie the other day and I swear at one point I was on the bench for a solid 10 minutes.

Analyzer*

The players who don't play defense at all, or try to do everything themselves Every. Single. Time.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
<---- the guy who tries to play dump & chase

The odd time I play drop in it's just hard to kick habits sometimes, at least once I'll usually hit the red line and dump it in getting odd looks :laugh:

Really though what I don't like is how a session can start at a good pace but in the latter end it devolves into mostly a bunch of guys tanked on the ice barely skating with the few guys who still have the energy taking breakaways back and forth, and no one playing defense.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
The last 5 minutes of every game/pickup. And for some reason, the last line on deck also coincidentally take 5 minute shifts. :shakehead

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
As a goalie, I don't always play my best after 2 hours of solid breakaway clinic...:shakehead

I understand but sometimes a guy shows up ... maybe he's 10-15 years older than the rest of the players. Plays goal but never bends his knees, stands on a goal line and lets in super easy goals. Spends more time talking to the players when he's on the bench actually playing the game. That's the guy im talking about.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Is anyone keeping score though?

I really couldn't care less about the quality of the goalie/s as long as they turn up.

Well here is the thing. Goalies don't like to show up only to play 20 min of hockey in 60 min because 3 goalies show up. You have to remember with the 20 min you are actually on the ice you might have 10 min where the puck is in your end and you can actually feel like your playing hockey. Most goalies including myself use pick up hockey to get ready for the coming season. I don't get in shape or able to work on my game when i get 10-20 min of playing time.

The equivalent for players is when you have 18 forwards or 9 defenseman on your bench. I'm guessing if you went to a pick up game where you got one 2 min shift every 8-10 minutes you wouldn't be thrilled either.

Would you drive 10-20min to the rink, get dressed 20 min, get undressed 10-15 min, to play 10 min of hockey? Of course you wouldn't.

This doesn't happen often obviously, but this is a complaint thread so that's my complaint. ;)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
the guy who brings a grey or yellow jersey to rat time.

:laugh:

I'm definitely Grey Jersey Guy.

I always bring a black/white/grey jersey in my bag for pickup...but unless i've got a clear read on where i'm needed, i just go grey and hope things sort out properly.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
:laugh:

I'm definitely Grey Jersey Guy.

I always bring a black/white/grey jersey in my bag for pickup...but unless i've got a clear read on where i'm needed, i just go grey and hope things sort out properly.

The only time I hear new guys get chirped at pickup is when they wear gray or yellow jerseys. The next week they show up with a dark or a white. No in between. It takes away from the experience for everyone else.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The only time I hear new guys get chirped at pickup is when they wear gray or yellow jerseys. The next week they show up with a dark or a white. No in between. It takes away from the experience for everyone else.

So far as i know, i've never been chirped for it. :dunno:

I do it as a convenience because in every single pickup game i've ever played, there have been unbalanced light/dark jerseys.

If i know ahead of time or just want to be with a buddy or whatever, obviously i'll just pull out a white/black jersey and wear that. But there are plenty of times i haven't exactly got a head count beforehand because massive disorganization. So i throw on a Grey and i can be on either team. Yay.

If it's a real organized pickup game, then obviously i've got that black/white jersey to match the rest of the room. But lots of times you've got guys with the whole rainbow of jerseys anyway...and it ends up "colours" vs "blacks/whites" anyway...where Grey can still be either side, as needed.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm a combination of 3 guys:

Self-Pessimistic guy - Nothing he does on the ice is good enough for himself. Always doubts his playing ability

Rink-Renter guy - Always the guy that organizes the pickup games, has every number for every rink in the area, gets angry at others for when they try to rent the rink and takes it upon themselves to finish the job

Shin-Tapper guy - taps guys on the shin for every little thing on the ice.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
So i throw on a Grey and i can be on either team. Yay.

And you don't see the problem with that logic?????

Sounds like you are just lazy. Pick a color, put it on, bring the other color with you to the bench. Problem solved.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
We had a guy show up with a super-dirty white jersey last night, so it was basically yellow. Gross.

Haaa! Gross!!

I can't believe how many guys wear seriously nasty gear. It gets pretty bad - not wanting to sit next to or even go into the boards against someone cuz they smell so bad.

I wash my jerseys, socks and jock after every game and buy new ones every year. I don't wash my pads all that often but they seem surprisingly sterile considering I don't wear any kind of shirt beneath my jersey.

Maybe it's just me but a crusty old odorous jersey does not make you more tough or better at hockey. It says your lazy and don't care about how you smell.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN

Sounds like you are just lazy. Pick a color, put it on, bring the other color with you to the bench. Problem solved.

I ****ing hate players who bring/wear grey to pickups because it's just easier for themselves to bring one jersey to the rink.

I thought about not passing to such people and just say I can't tell which team they're on, but that's basically making it a 5 on 4 every time the guy is on my shift.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette

I don't see a problem with it. If your on-ice vision is so bad that you can't tell if grey is on your team or not, then that's probably the bigger issue.

Besides, grey and yellow are light 80% of the time, but in times of extremely unbalanced play can be switched over to dark in a pinch. Keeps everything running smoothly.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
I don't see a problem with it. If your on-ice vision is so bad that you can't tell if grey is on your team or not, then that's probably the bigger issue.

Besides, grey and yellow are light 80% of the time, but in times of extremely unbalanced play can be switched over to dark in a pinch. Keeps everything running smoothly.

You're right but it's not about that though. It's about common courtesy to your fellow players.

People buy 2 jerseys and make the effort to bring both per game. What if everyone just started bringing just one grey jersey per game because it definitely is more covenient? Heck maybe even just a handful of players like 3 - 5 in one pick up game?

See, the people who bring just one grey jersey are the ones that are counting that the rest of the group will not be doing so. It really is just selfish and very self-centered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad