Pickup Hockey Stereotypes

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
IMO (and I think I could speak for a lot of younger guys and lifers) the disconnect. Jersey's -outside of teamsets and NHL- aren't really something I've ever thought to buy. You just accumulate them- practice jerseys, camp jerseys, one off beerleague and tournament jerseys.. Why go out and buy something especially for shinny and drop in?
Pretty standard way of thinking (in that it's something that we don't think about) where I'm from.

Yeah I mostly played shinny when I was starting up. I had a Jersey from a ball hockey tournament, a jersey from a power skating program, a jersey from a beginner intake program, and my first team jersey... and for some reason they all ended up being red :laugh:

So yeah I wore red to shinny, with my thinking being 'do I really need to buy more jerseys?'. Honestly I did try to get a white/black jersey at some point, I went into a Sportcheck looking for a cheap basic one but all they had were fancier Reebok jerseys for like $50 or something. Screw that nonsense.

Last edited:

BlueJazz

Jan 14, 2014
This is about "pickup" hockey so to go a bit off topic, gray is the only confusing jersey color as a referee (unless one team is all in gray). Red (as long as it's on the "dark" team) and yellow (as long as it's on the "light" team) don't give me any trouble.

I'll just put it this way, I called the wrong team offside 3 times in one game because of just one guy wearing a gray jersey.

I'll second this, and say it's not off topic, as I sometimes go out a ref for shinny's. Grey jersey's are the worst for a ref.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
:shakehead

Congrats on enforcing the belief that you're an idiot.

Based on your comments I'd also bet my mortgage that you suck at hockey.

I'm an A level player and I've never met anyone who's played the game who didn't find it annoying when someone shows up to rat wearing grey. Skating with your head up has nothing to do with it, dumbass.

It's even more obnoxious for a goalie. Played in an adult league game where my team wore red and one player on the other team wore pink. He lit me up with back door goals all game because I had no idea if it was him or my defenseman in the corner of my eye.

deeman

Jan 12, 2013
Michigan
Please stop feeding the troll!

The one pretty accurate stereotype for hockey and other sports (motocross for sure) is that the guy who wears older, beat-up gear is going to be very good.

See the guy in the shiny helmet, pro jersey and new stick assortment? yea, he probably sucks.

The other stereotype I dislike is the guy with no shield, just an open helmet, and he looses his $h!t when a puck or stray stick comes near his face and he starts yelling at the players to be more careful.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

The one pretty accurate stereotype for hockey and other sports (motocross for sure) is that the guy who wears older, beat-up gear is going to be very good.

See the guy in the shiny helmet, pro jersey and new stick assortment? yea, he probably sucks.

The other stereotype I dislike is the guy with no shield, just an open helmet, and he looses his $h!t when a puck or stray stick comes near his face and he starts yelling at the players to be more careful.

I wish this were true about me - I look like I got my gear by going through dumpsters behind ice rinks. :laugh: The main thing that makes my gear look terrible is that I'll let my stick tape nearly fall apart completely before doing a new tape job (on a wood stick nonetheless) because I figure I suck at stickhandling anyway so it's not going to make a big difference either way. I am a really good skater though. Just don't have the hands to go with it.

Well, my helmet is pretty new. I finally had to replace my first one after 12 years of playing in December.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often

Yeah, I noticed that. Play pick up with a guy who's sixty odd, great skater, terrific with the puck and really accurate shot. His socks always look like they've been used as a shooting range target and some of his gear looks as old as he does.

Not sure if those guys are superstitious or just really frugal, because they're (often) not likely short of a dollar, but just seem really attached to their museum piece equipment.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
:shakehead

Congrats on enforcing the belief that you're an idiot.

Based on your comments I'd also bet my mortgage that you suck at hockey.

I'm an A level player and I've never met anyone who's played the game who didn't find it annoying when someone shows up to rat wearing grey. Skating with your head up has nothing to do with it, dumbass.
1. Will you please settle down with the "insults"? First it's "idiot" then it's "dumbass". All because I don't see an issue with people wearing certain colored jerseys. Seems a little ridiculous to me.

2. I'm two years removed from playing NCAA, so I don't know what your idea of "sucks" is, but I doubt you'd be winning that bet.

3. You've given me no explanation of why grey or yellow are problems. They're both pretty obviously light jerseys, and most people who wear them got them from old teams/camps. They probably don't want to go out and pay for a white jersey just to make a bunch of old grumps happy at drop in.

And for the record I only wear white or black at drop in, I'm just tired of seeing people cry about what color jersey people choose to wear.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
I'm ok with the gray and the yellow guys. We always play "white" vs. "dark" which ends up being a variety of different colored jerseys. Yellow always plays for "dark" and gray always plays with "white" doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i don't get the issue with grey

i've worn grey many times and there's pretty much at least always one guy at pickup who wears grey and we've never had an issue. grey always plays with the white team

nuckss

Oct 19, 2006
I think my team would fire beer guy. Coors Light AND Bud Light? Come on.

Dave Hahn

Apr 23, 2002
Everything's grey for me (monochromacy), so I'll withhold opinion on the grey guy.

However, just because I'm 6'4" and can skate backwards doesn't mean that I'm automatically playing defense every time. Ughhh.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
3. You've given me no explanation of why grey or yellow are problems. They're both pretty obviously light jerseys, and most people who wear them got them from old teams/camps. They probably don't want to go out and pay for a white jersey just to make a bunch of old grumps happy at drop in.

If grey is considered light as a general rule in your group, then there honestly isn't a problem. The problem lies is when a person uses grey as white and/or black.

i don't get the issue with grey

i've worn grey many times and there's pretty much at least always one guy at pickup who wears grey and we've never had an issue. grey always plays with the white team

That's because there's ONLY one guy. But what if everyone in the group started thinking its easier to bring one grey jersey to pickup games rather than 2 jerseys with one dark and one light.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So much rage about Grey Jerseys. :laugh:

Like i said originally, i carry a black, a white, and a grey jersey in my bag all the time.

But if you're staring down the barrel of a small pickup game with say:

A handful of whites and blacks...a couple purples, some oranges, a few yellows, a baby blue, a dark blue, a neon green, a dark forest green, an old Oilers Jersey with that hideous comic book logo, a bright red Flames knockoff jersey, a weird red and grey jersey from when that guy was a superstar on his one team back in the day, a Canucks retro jersey with all the entire rainbow on it, a Habs red and blue jersey and a guy whose jersey may have started out white but has become...biege over time...

Grey is a convenient "balancing" colour. It's real easy to sort into "light" or "dark" as needed to balance all the idiotic weird colours people wear.

If it's a clear black/white game, sweet.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
But if you're staring down the barrel of a small pickup game with say:

A handful of whites and blacks...a couple purples, some oranges, a few yellows, a baby blue, a dark blue, a neon green, a dark forest green, an old Oilers Jersey with that hideous comic book logo, a bright red Flames knockoff jersey, a weird red and grey jersey from when that guy was a superstar on his one team back in the day, a Canucks retro jersey with all the entire rainbow on it, a Habs red and blue jersey and a guy whose jersey may have started out white but has become...biege over time...

Those games are the worst.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Yesterday we had one guy in orange, one guy in red. Guy in orange played on dark, guy in red played in white. Guy in orange was a newbie and the jersey was most likely given to him in the learn to play program. Guy in red wore my extra white jersey I brought to the bench. Solution:buy a black and white jersey!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad