Pick Your Poison (Part II!) -- Chicago or LA?

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
Habs fan coming in peace. Congratulations on the win, you guys honestly deserved.

If I could put in my 2 cents, watching the Rangers, I honestly believe you guys could beat the Hawks. The Hawks are not an overly physical team, they rely more on finesse. I think your D and obviously your goalie are much better. The Kings would have been a nightmare scenario for MTL, and I sadly think the same could be said for the Rangers (not to say you couldn't win). They are all massive and I would fear for smaller players like Zucarello or guys that tend to stray away from contact like Nash. Quick can be equally as good as Hank, so you lose the advantage there. They are also deep and worse, they are relentless. The Doughty/McDonagh matchup would be a treat to watch though. All this to say, I like your chances against the Hawks, I really see Hank pulling it off. Good luck on the rest of the journey, either way you guys should be proud of your team.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
My vote goes to all parts of this poll.

I would love to see a New York vs Los Angeles SCF; besides, an L.A. Kings SCF victory proves my speculation about Henrik Lundqvist's overall career.

After all, this basic math inequality dictates, "213 > 212". Just ask Phil Jackson. :naughty:

BarbaraAlphanse

I really don't know how I feel about the Kings. I won't give an opinion on the Hawks, at least not yet, as I believe the Kings will close them out in a similar fashion to us tonight.

They are playing ridiculously as a unit as of late. That's what really is impressive about their team, their ability to play cohesively as one.

How do they stack up against the Rangers? I'd say more efficient offense. Efficient is the word I would use, and yes it is a very important one. They are not necessarily more talented, and they are not more balanced, although there isn't a case to be made that they are less talented & balanced than us, either. I view those two aspects as equal. Where we differ on offense is their efficiency. They are opportunistic and bury chances far more often than we can - and therein lies the problem. Costly turnovers will be in the back of the net far more often than in this series - although we already have experience from playing opportunistic teams in the playoffs (Penguins).

Their defense is worse than ours. It is bigger but it is slower. When they played the Sharks they had a lot of trouble keeping up with the Shark's players. They were lucky that they got a perennial choking team with no starting goalie to steal just 1 game for them. Their defense was badly exposed and if I was Vigneault, I'd take the next 5 days to study up on those 7 games. LA's weaknesses were on prime display there - and many of those weaknesses stemmed from a defense that couldn't contain speed... which if you haven't noticed we have a lot of.

Goalies are equal, in my eyes.

Not the most ideal match up. They have speed that rivals our own (on offense) and a goalie who's natural talent is complemented by voodoo posts. But it wouldn't be impossible or even improbable that we can beat them.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Habs fan coming in peace. Congratulations on the win, you guys honestly deserved.

If I could put in my 2 cents, watching the Rangers, I honestly believe you guys could beat the Hawks. The Hawks are not an overly physical team, they rely more on finesse. I think your D and obviously your goalie are much better. The Kings would have been a nightmare scenario for MTL, and I sadly think the same could be said for the Rangers (not to say you couldn't win). They are all massive and I would fear for smaller players like Zucarello or guys that tend to stray away from contact like Nash. Quick can be equally as good as Hank, so you lose the advantage there. They are also deep and worse, they are relentless. The Doughty/McDonagh matchup would be a treat to watch though. All this to say, I like your chances against the Hawks, I really see Hank pulling it off. Good luck on the rest of the journey, either way you guys should be proud of your team.

Thanks for the good wishes. Kudos to Tokarski - thrown into a pressure cooker and really rose to the occasion. Hats off to him.

Yes, I agree, the Kings are a big, physical team that has suddenly found their scoring touch. Regular season? Not so much (getting Marian Gaborik at the trade deadline really helped them). Chicago is springing a leak in goal, and even Quick has had his moments. I don't really like the prospect of us having to fly back-and-forth across the country in such a short space of time. LA is far more used to the travel (although it worked for us in '94!!).

I just hope they beat the crap out of each other for the next two games. :handclap:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
in groups of 4, LA top to bottom has better quality fowards. LA is faster but Chicago probably has better net presence (screens) which is one of the only ways to really beat Hank. both teams hit a lot.
Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter, Williams > Toews, Kane, Hossa, Saad
Brown, Richards, Pearson, Toffoli > Sharp, Bickell, Shaw, Smith
Lewis, King, Stoll, Clifford > Handzus, Versteeg, Kruger, Bollig

LA has better goaltending
Quick > Crawford
Jones > Raanta

defense is about the same. each has pros and cons. Kings D are better shooters but I think with our pressuring coverage, they won't have time to line up shots like they have against Chicago. Chicago D, I'd say is generally better but they've really stunk up against the potent force of LA, but I see them really blowing their coverage a lot so maybe LA should get the edge here? Doughty, Muzzin, and Voynov all have good shots.
Keith, Seabrook > Doughty, Muzzin?
Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozsival, Leddy = Martinez, Voynov, Mitchell, Greene/Regehr

having said all that, if we get LA, it'll sure feel great beating them.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Who cares? No chance anyways

Us pond hockey folks are finally being exposed to the true majesty of the godly Bestern Conference.
We were ill prepared to deal with their complete and utter superiority.
They are higher beings, and we simply have no chance of comprehending their true beauty.
Indeed, this horrible Leastern Conference team would even get dominated in the Memorial Cup.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Thanks for the good wishes. Kudos to Tokarski - thrown into a pressure cooker and really rose to the occasion. Hats off to him.

Yes, I agree, the Kings are a big, physical team that has suddenly found their scoring touch. Regular season? Not so much (getting Marian Gaborik at the trade deadline really helped them). Chicago is springing a leak in goal, and even Quick has had his moments. I don't really like the prospect of us having to fly back-and-forth across the country in such a short space of time. LA is far more used to the travel (although it worked for us in '94!!).

I just hope they beat the crap out of each other for the next two games. :handclap:

watching the CHI/LA games, Hawks defense is looking terribad. I feel a lot better about our chances against them. While Quick is very good, I think Beast Mode Henrik is better.

nyrfan519

Jan 10, 2009
LA, just because I live in LA and would get to go to the games here. Is that selfish?

Honestly, it's going to be difficult either way. But we can do it! :yo:

Net Front Presence

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 29, 2009
I'd rather play Chicago. They're not as stingy on defense as LA, and I have a feeling we would have trouble scoring against the Kings.

In my opinion, Chicago is very similar to Pittsburgh, even though they are an upgrade over Pittsburgh in all areas. However, Crosby/Malkin > Toews/Kane and we already beat the Penguins, so I don't think we would have many issues shutting down Toews and Kane.

And Quick >>>>>>> Crawford, so yeah.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
in groups of 4, LA top to bottom has better quality fowards. LA is faster but Chicago probably has better net presence (screens) which is one of the only ways to really beat Hank. both teams hit a lot.
Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter, Williams > Toews, Kane, Hossa, Saad
Brown, Richards, Pearson, Toffoli > Sharp, Bickell, Shaw, Smith
Lewis, King, Stoll, Clifford > Handzus, Versteeg, Kruger, Bollig

LA has better goaltending
Quick > Crawford
Jones > Raanta

defense is about the same. each has pros and cons. Kings D are better shooters but I think with our pressuring coverage, they won't have time to line up shots like they have against Chicago. Chicago D, I'd say is generally better but they've really stunk up against the potent force of LA, but I see them really blowing their coverage a lot so maybe LA should get the edge here? Doughty, Muzzin, and Voynov all have good shots.
Keith, Seabrook > Doughty, Muzzin?
Hjalmarsson, Oduya, Rozsival, Leddy = Martinez, Voynov, Mitchell, Greene/Regehr

having said all that, if we get LA, it'll sure feel great beating them.

1) not sure if that's the appropriate way to analyse things.
2) umm ... what?

Either way, no matter which team we face, it's gonna be damn hard manifacturing Ws.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Congrats to the Rangers for ousting my Habs and making the Cup final. It was a great series that got a little bitter at times, but that's behind us now. You guys were better and deserved the chance to play for the cup. It's hard at first to accept defeat, but you outclassed us for most of the series. I'm on the NYR bandwagon now if you'll accept a habs fan.

Go NYR Go!!!

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Blackhawks, simply think we will match up better against them, Kings got it all really a big skilled offence that's is very deep and a great 200 foot d with a goalie on the same level as Hank. LA is trouble.

But this is our year!

Last edited:

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I just don't know why the Rangers bothered to beat Montreal, they have no chance and will only be embarrassed. They should have lost and saved us the misery. The horror it's going to be when the Rangers lose 3 straight 8-0 games and the NHL invokes the mercy rule and ends the final.

Hell no I didn't do it last series with Montreal/Boston and not going to do it now. Either team presents serious problems. Bring on either and let the chips fall where they may. Although in my head, I know which team from the midwest that I think is gassed, would be a little bit better matchup for the Rangers.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Chicago.
I think I am going to pull the trigger on tickets to Game 2 out there next Saturday sometime today. My buddy and I and our two 16 year old sons in a car for 11 hours.
By selling two tickets to one game at MSG we can pay for four tickets to a game in Chicago and still cover a hotel room.

If it is LA, the flights are just too expensive right now to make a similar trip work.

Cake or Death

I prefer LA. Feels imperative both our top two D pairs are on their game. But Staal looked meh against MTL when their east-west game was going in our zone, and Chicago is better at that than MTL. LA is more north-south, where Staal seems to play better. I dunno, just a weird feeling that our top two D pairs will better match against LA's top two lines. I also think our forward speed gives LA's D more problems than Chicago's. Not to mention, LA has also had two games less rest than Chicago and Quick has been good, but not great. I would love Chicago to win tonight and LA to win game 7. Three straight 7 game series for LA, and they'd be hitting game one on only a couple days rest.

LORENZO

Jan 1, 2014
Either, we've gone a lot further than I ever thought we would.

Lets just enjoy it.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Us pond hockey folks are finally being exposed to the true majesty of the godly Bestern Conference.
They are higher beings, and we simply have no chance of comprehending their true beauty.
Indeed, this horrible Leastern Conference team would even get dominated in the Memorial Cup.

Sig worthy post. :laugh:

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

:laugh:

Great post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad