Pick one Defenseman to build a team around? Leetch vs Karlsson vs Doughty

With the 8th overall pick, the Fairbanks Woodchucks select...

• Total voters

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Leetch
Reg season:1028p/1205gp
Playoffs: 97p/95gp

102p
88p
85p
79p
79p
78p
71p

EK
Reg Season: 430p/670gp
Playoffs: 37p/48gp

82p
78p
74p
71p

DD
Regular Season: 447p/814gp
Playoffs: 51p/84gp

60p
59p
51p

If you selected Doughty, then I don’t know what to tell you. He’s not or wasn’t as good defensively as Leetch or EK, and he was nowhere near as productive offensively.

If you selected EK... Well, he’s certainly a hell of a lot closer to Leetch than DD.

Neither DD and EK have reached the kind of offensive peak Leetch has. Leetch just reached a whole different level than both guys in the playoffs too. And he was a dynamic animal when the games mattered most.

I’ll say it again, most of you guys voting in this poll probably never watched Leetch.

When fans of the Rangers most hated rivals take the time to come in this thread and give Leetch some praise, that should say something.

DD name should never be used in the same sentence as Leetch’s. EK? Possibly. Let’s see how the rest of his career goes first.

You can’t be serious

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
Doughty is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. He’s way better than either of those guys are/were
the fact that one of the best 5-10 defensemen to ever play the game and the best american defensemen ever isnt winning this poll is comical

doughty is a good player but to be spoken in the same breathe as leetch is hilarious

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Leetch and Karlsson are very underrated defensively, but Doughty's defense is on another level like Leetch and Karlsson's offense was on another level.

Reactions: Pia8988

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
the fact that one of the best 5-10 defensemen to ever play the game and the best american defensemen ever isnt winning this poll is comical

doughty is a good player but to be spoken in the same breathe as leetch is hilarious

I'm not sure who you're talking about, but that is just your opinion. Don't act like it's fact. I don't think there's many people that would agree that any of these guys are top 5-10 of all-time.

Chelios is my pick for best American defenseman ever.

All-time ranking isn't even a good basis for a poll like this where 2 defensemen are still only mid-career.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
All I remember from prime EK, was making an end to end rush, not passing to anyone, making a stupid turnover that leads to a 2 on 1 or breakaway then he outskates everyone and takes it away, he can’t do that anymore after the injuries. Honestly it’s amazing how talented he was to overcome his refusal to play defence and selfishness. Scary to think how much better he could’ve been.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
All I remember from prime EK, was making an end to end rush, not passing to anyone, making a stupid turnover that leads to a 2 on 1 or breakaway then he outskates everyone and takes it away, he can’t do that anymore after the injuries. Honestly it’s amazing how talented he was to overcome his refusal to play defence and selfishness. Scary to think how much better he could’ve been.

Lol ek doesn't pass? Lmao

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I'm not sure who you're talking about, but that is just your opinion. Don't act like it's fact. I don't think there's many people that would agree that any of these guys are top 5-10 of all-time.

Chelios is my pick for best American defenseman ever.

All-time ranking isn't even a good basis for a poll like this where 2 defensemen are still only mid-career.
chelios? really? :thumbd:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
As a Canucks fan, I always thought Doughty was overrated until we faced LA twice in the playoffs. He has tremendous instincts, great skater with fantastic skill accompanied by solid physicality. I was amazed at how dominant he was, seemed like he was everywhere and always a step ahead to the puck every damn time. Great in all 3 zones, never ending motor, insane intensity and passion to win. Easily the best of the 3 in the poll. (Doughty & Keith are the 2 best defenceman to play the game since Lidstrom.)

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Leetch and Karlsson are very underrated defensively, but Doughty's defense is on another level like Leetch and Karlsson's offense was on another level.

I agree with this but i also think that both Leetch and Karlsson could play defense as good (or better) than Doughty while Doughty doesn't have the vision and skill to play offence as good as the other two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad