Pick one Defenseman to build a team around? Leetch vs Karlsson vs Doughty

With the 8th overall pick, the Fairbanks Woodchucks select...

• Total voters

AngryPanda

Jun 24, 2010
In some weird, alternate universe, the NHL resets with it's current roster and a fantasy-style draft ensues. You are the GM of a new franchise from Alaska , lets say, the Fairbanks Woodchucks. You have the 8th overall pick in this reset draft. Your first pick is up, and all of the world-class forwards that you had on your board have already been selected. So you decide to build your team around an offensively gifted defenseman. However, instead of having to choose between a 28 year old Erik Karlsson, a 29 year old Drew Doughty, and a few others, things get weird. You have the chance to select a 21 year old Drew Doughty, a 21 year old Erik Karlsson, or a 21 year old Brian Leetch. Lets say, up until now, their careers have mirrored exactly what has occurred in our universe. And you have the knowledge of what their careers have looked like in our universe (So far, for Doughty and Karlsson) up until today. Which would you select with your pick?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
From a guy that hates Doughty and his attitude and is a fan of Karlsson and his personality.

Doughty. It's close but I like the total package Doughty provides. But I've always valued defense in a defenseman higher than offense.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty can do it all at an elite level.

Karlsson can do offense at a generational level.

Leetch arguably had the better peak than both, but probably the shortest as well.

Give me the elite swiss army knife, he's adaptable to any team.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I hope people are watching Doughty closely this year.

Now that his team is playing poor he is playing hot trash in many plays. The guy is a whopping -15 tied for team worst and handsomely ahead of the next worst defender. Man I remember when EK was trashed similarly for such things.

He gets absolutely blown by here last game:

Tanner Pearson makes Doughty his *****

there's bunch more at least Karlsson was still PPG while being similarly bad AND we still didnt necessarily have the firepower LA still does.

Reactions: ThreatLevelMidnight

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Easily Doughty.

He can put up big numbers but also can get murdered by defensive zone starts and shut down the other teams best players while playing the most minutes in the league.

This. Doughty is honestly pretty much the epitome of what an elite #1 Defenceman "archetype" would be. The true "do it all" master. There really isn't anything he can't, or wouldn't excel at. Can't turn that down. And he's been that from such a young age too, it fits this poll well.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Karlsson.

Especially because this is pre-injury Karlsson.

A generational offensive talent who can skate like he was born with skates on.

He almost singlehandedly dragged his team to the Stanley Cup Finals.

Put him on the Rangers or Kings and he would impress even more.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They are all great players but I think one of them can put a team on his back unlike the other two.

And Leetch was my favourite player before he retired.

Can see arguments for the others though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I hope people are watching Doughty closely this year.

Now that his team is playing poor he is playing hot trash in many plays. The guy is a whopping -15 tied for team worst and handsomely ahead of the next worst defender. Man I remember when EK was trashed similarly for such things.

He gets absolutely blown by here last game:

Tanner Pearson makes Doughty his *****

there's bunch more at least Karlsson was still PPG while being similarly bad AND we still didnt necessarily have the firepower LA still does.

Seems to me that this year Doughty just doesn't give a shit. Which obviously isn't what you want. But in my book, when he's actually on his game he's the most complete defenseman at both ends of the ice. Karlsson may be more gifted offensively but Doughty does everything else better.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think with respect to Leetch--and it might be unfair--I'm assuming Doughty and Karlsson may have stronger longevity highs even though IMO he may have peaked higher. But they could both fall off the wagon tomorrow and I'd be more compelled to pick Leetch. At this point in Brian's career, he looked like he was going off for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->