Phoenix XXXVII - The Heat is On

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The NHL doesn't allow cities to own teams. However, the Coyotes are the league's precious little flower, and maybe the rules could be bent for them. Imagine that, the Packers of hockey in a desert (and deserted) strip mall.

Actually, there is nothing in the NHL Constitution or By-Laws that would prevent a municipality from owning a team.

However, restrictions against public share ownership would prevent a Green Bay Packers, Inc type of public ownership.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Actually, there is nothing in the NHL Constitution or By-Laws that would prevent a municipality from owning a team.

However, restrictions against public share ownership would prevent a Green Bay Packers, Inc type of public ownership.

Nothing in the bylaws against but I remember reading an interview with Bettman that the NHL is not comfortable with a govt owning a team. Something along the lines of getting new ownership every time there is an election.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Nothing in the bylaws against but I remember reading an interview with Bettman that the NHL is not comfortable with a govt owning a team. Something along the lines of getting new ownership every time there is an election.

Still, if the choice is between keeping or losing Phoenix, why not if the city is willing and able?

Then again, maybe Glendale is content to continue subsidizing without getting their hands dirty(dirtier at this point). I just wonder whether it's the best use of their money considering the alternatives.

Steve Passless*

Still, if the choice is between keeping or losing Phoenix, why not if the city is willing and able?

What happens when Glendale wises up to the clowns and votes them out in favor of politicians who won't subsidize a failing sports team? That makes a Jim Balsillie hostile takeover look like nothing.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
What happens when Glendale wises up to the clowns and votes them out in favor of politicians who won't subsidize a failing sports team? That makes a Jim Balsillie hostile takeover look like nothing.

You do realize that two of the council members who voted in favor where just re-elected in Nov. of last year.

Steve Passless*

And you do realize that the political climate is only going to grow more and more skeptical of these idiots if the team can't be sold.

dobiezeke*

You do realize that two of the council members who voted in favor where just re-elected in Nov. of last year.

Perhaps a fan drive for season tickets would create a positive environment for a new owner to step forward...

Steve Passless*

Leisurely Amble To A Number That Isn't Necessarily Small

dobiezeke*

I believe that with what has happened in Winnipeg the people of Phoenix will see what it takes to support an NHL franchise. I hope they stay - I need a destination to watch the Winnipeg team since the "Arena too Small to Work" is full for the next 3 to 5 years.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
You would think. But there are many underlying factors as to why people are not all gungho about buying season tickets or any tickets for that matter. Ownership uncertainty, poor product, fan alienation etc.

The owners of this team really need to step up and be accountable to the fans of the phoenix coyotes. It's owed to them more then you think. I mean never making it passed the first round of the playoffs? C'mon. Where's Ilya Kovalachuk the star power and an all star game?

Is this the Atlanta thread?

dobiezeke*

You would think. But there are many underlying factors as to why people are not all gungho about buying season tickets or any tickets for that matter. Ownership uncertainty, poor product, fan alienation etc.

The owners of this team really need to step up and be accountable to the fans of the phoenix coyotes. It's owed to them more then you think. I mean never making it passed the first round of the playoffs? C'mon. Where's Ilya Kovalachuk the star power and an all star game?

Is this the Atlanta thread?

Nope - fact is if you want to keep your NHL franchise step up. If you wait until all the stars to align, be prepared to attend games in KC/Las Vegas. Waiting for a winning team/big name signings is a sign that you only want to jump on the bandwagon and are not willing to see the team stay in Phoenix through thick and thin.

Retail1LO*

How ironic. Winnipeg moves to Phoenix. Phoenix's attendance blows. Hockey returns to Winnipeg. Winnipeg sells 13000+ tickets...for 3-5 years...in a matter of days.

Winnipeg's making Phoenix look...SO horribly bad right now. Talk about showing someone up. It'll be a real riot to see what it's like when they travel to play one another. Winnipeg playing in front of 7,000 in Phoenix, and then Phoenix coming to the Peg and seeing what a sold out, rowdy barn looks like...knowing that could have been them calling the Peg home. The only shame is that they're in different conferences and will be lucky to play one another twice this season, and by the time Winnipeg gets realigned, Phoenix might not be there for there to be any more games between the two.

fokkerfan

Mar 21, 2011
Hopefully the rest of the league takes notice and gets pissed about subsidising failing franchises!!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Can anyone summarize the latest? Is Hulsizer still in the picture, etc.? Thanks.GHOST

According to Sanders of AzCentral Hulsizers still in the frame. The only other interesting tidbit of the past couple of weeks was the COG's refusal to release an Economic Impact Study put together by Hocking.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
With Phoenix not being able to sign long-term contracts, UFAs like Bryzgalov will be going elsewhere. Given the financial loss when Phoenix made the playoffs, can you imagine what happens if the team tanks? $50 million loss? After this season, the NHL will not want to do it again, or else they'll demand a higher annual "rent" from Glendale, e.g. $50 million dollar loss guarantee. I don't see that being accepted. Unless an owner can be found, I don't see the Coyotes in Phoenix for the 2012-2013 season.

During the Game 2 intermission, Don Cherry mentioned talking to a hockey fan down south, about how entertaining NHL hockey was, and only $16 for a lower bowl seat 10 rows back from the ice. I think one of the reasons Phoenix's losses are so large is because tickets are being almost given away. Are people in Phoenix prepared to pay $125 for a lower-bowl seat?

It seems the Winnipeg fans have deserted the place. 3 and a half weeks to do one thread (1,000 posts). We're slipping.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
And you do realize that the political climate is only going to grow more and more skeptical of these idiots if the team can't be sold.

You're trying to make something out of nothing, I'm afraid. The political "climate" in Glendale has already been hacked over in this board more than once.

Those "idiots" have done fairly well..... so far. The residents of Glendale have had ample opportunity to correct the situation, and have chosen the course they're on.

You going to call them idiots too because they don't agree with your bias?

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
With Phoenix not being able to sign long-term contracts, UFAs like Bryzgalov will be going elsewhere. Given the financial loss when Phoenix made the playoffs, can you imagine what happens if the team tanks? $50 million loss? After this season, the NHL will not want to do it again, or else they'll demand a higher annual "rent" from Glendale, e.g. $50 million dollar loss guarantee. I don't see that being accepted. Unless an owner can be found, I don't see the Coyotes in Phoenix for the 2012-2013 season.

Unless your privy to information within the NHL that nobody else has, you just speculating on what they will do. Nobody thought they'd go beyond this year....... yet here we are. ;)

During the Game 2 intermission, Don Cherry mentioned talking to a hockey fan down south, about how entertaining NHL hockey was, and only $16 for a lower bowl seat 10 rows back from the ice. I think one of the reasons Phoenix's losses are so large is because tickets are being almost given away. Are people in Phoenix prepared to pay $125 for a lower-bowl seat?

There have been Yotes STH's who've posted here that do.

And I'd really like to know where Grape's source for the $16 lower bowl seat came from (and which team). Or else it's just more BS.

It seems the Winnipeg fans have deserted the place. 3 and a half weeks to do one thread (1,000 posts). We're slipping.

So you're admitting Winnipeg fans were never truly concerned about the business dealings in Glendale, eh? :sarcasm:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
According to Sanders of AzCentral Hulsizers still in the frame. The only other interesting tidbit of the past couple of weeks was the COG's refusal to release an Economic Impact Study put together by Hocking.

JMO.... but with the lack of recent news regarding the Yotes... I think Sanders is simply trying to rattle the bushes with some out of date news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca