Phoenix XXXVII - The Heat is On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retail1LO*

False. The people in Glendale that have voiced their opinion have almost unanimously supported the 25mill guarantee to cover losses at the end of the season. The public is in-fact supporting the City council. They aren't stupid, they understand what losing the team would mean to the city and more importantly the immediate area around the Job.

GWI's interest were never about sticking up for the taxpayers, I thought that was obvious by now.

Other than those falsities; I think we can all agree that this needs to end. It's ****en pathetic.

So...they support the 25M to cover the losses, they just don't support the idea of attending the games. I get it.

Steve Passless*

You don't have to be a fan of the game to see the economic impact it has on the community.

Andrew Zimbalist has already debunked Sports As Major Economic Catalyst. Sorry about your empty mall.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So, it looks like COG is up to their old tricks again, with-holding documets:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...ut-phoenix-coyotes-private.html#ixzz1OF7zhU9h

And check out the comments - now that Winnipegers have their team, you can see how Arizona residents really feel about the Coyotes and this debacle.

Yup. When was the last time a report was withheld because it contained really good news? Whatever they are holding back is not good. :shakehead

"She said the report could be important to future negotiations"

So does this mean they are done with Hulsizer, or are they starting negotiations all over again? I thought the CoG and Hulsizer had an agreement already.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
It will be interesting to see if the comments are indeed indicative of how Glendale Residents are feeling right now, as more information comes to light.

Now that the hoopla of Winnipeg is now past, will we see some inquiring reporters start poking around, perhaps now that the spotlight (from Canada at least) is off them?

Just got a bad feeling we're seeing more of the iceberg, and there's still more to come.

Dado

And check out the comments - now that Winnipegers have their team, you can see how Arizona residents really feel about the Coyotes and this debacle.

This one was fun...

Looks like Glendale is funding the operations to the tune of $25 million. Based on 2010-11 attendance they drew 487,543, second lowest in the NHL according to the NHL. The Glendale subsidy amounts to $51.28 per attendee. The average ticket price for the 2009-10 season was $37.45 (latest figure I could find). The subsidy is greater than the ticket revenue generated.

not a trapdoor

I swallowed my keys
Apr 13, 2011
Sydney
Just got a bad feeling we're seeing more of the iceberg, and there's still more to come.

Yup.

As much as I'd prefer the Coyotes to head to a metro area screaming for a team (Quebec, now that Winnipeg has one), I also feel that those on the Glendale council orchestrating all of this have very much abandoned their duty of care to the people of Glendale.

While I'm not against hockey in Arizona (well, I do think Quebec would appreciate it more), I don't think the Mayor & her allies on council are acting based on either their love of hockey, the best interests of hockey or the best interests of their constituents.

IMO, they screwed up building a hockey-specific arena in a suburban area of a state where the demand does not exist at this time (no disrespect to Yotes fans, but there's just not enough committed to the team in AZ) and now are trying desperately to save face at all costs. There's going to be an awful budgetary mess left behind if/when this team moves on. And I hope karma's a b*** for the lot of them.

Retail1LO*

What a fabulous development. Just when it looked like this could get boring. I hope they somehow force the disclosure of those documents. The fact is, if there's ANYTHING that can make the city look bad, it makes them look bad because they're putting their population at risk...and the thought that anything of that nature could be withheld, is absolute BS. I still think we're far from seeing what the fallout from all of this will be, but in the end, someone really needs to hang. This is so rotten, the people of Denmark can smell it.

Dado

And still not a peep from GWI on the "minor" action of (another) $25M being handed over to a private enterprise?

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Come on, people. The Coyotes aren't going anywhere and the CoG council aren't going to jail. You know Obi is right.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
And still not a peep from GWI on the "minor" action of (another) $25M being handed over to a private enterprise?

They'll have to ascertain from whence the COG secures the money Dado. As you'll re-call, last June, a year ago, they were Screaming Blue Meanies over the cities approval of the funds. Seems they couldnt sue after all though, as it was were drawn from the Enterprise Account, holding "fee's" for building permits & such instead of "taxes", something that shouldve been readily apparent to them at the time, and something a third year law student probably couldve discovered in about 5 minutes.. The NHL is now included in the liner notes of the COG's Budget for 11-12 with the $25M "Arena Management Fee", and last I heard (Bollocks) GWI was "still studying the matter". :help:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
They'll have to ascertain from whence the COG secures the money Dado. As you'll re-call, last June, a year ago, they were Screaming Blue Meanies over the cities approval of the funds. Seems they couldnt sue after all though, as it was were drawn from the Enterprise Account, holding "fee's" for building permits & such instead of "taxes", something that shouldve been readily apparent to them at the time, and something a third year law student probably couldve discovered in about 5 minutes.. The NHL is now included in the liner notes of the COG's Budget for 11-12 with the $25M "Arena Management Fee", and last I heard (Bollocks) GWI was "still studying the matter". :help:

But there'll be plenty of cupcakes, robocalls and glossy mailers to city council members to go around. :naughty:

GSC2k2*

Don't take that seriously, K. That was a red herring. The violation or non-violation of the Gift CLause has zero to do with the source of the funds. They are all city-owned dollars.

straka91*

So is Hulseizer (spelling?) still a player or are the Yotes back to square one? Havent heard any news.

Retail1LO*

I think there's a very real chance that this entire thing goes silent until a resolution is struck one way or another. With the Atlanta situation in the rearview mirror, I'm sure the league would much rather the remainder of this process occur in relative silence like the Atlanta one did. Granted, everyone's now acutely aware of the fact that there even IS a situation in Phoenix, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the league attempted to keep things as quiet as possible. Now the CoG, on the other hand....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That was a red herring.

Obviously. I shouldve' included this :sarcasm: emoticon in the post.

My hope is that now that the NHL has taken a far more pro-active role in the process, has had a chance to get the full measure of the GWI, they'll be crafting an AMULA & Arena Management Contract pro-actively & in concert with the prospective buyer & Glendale that puts an end to the formers complaints & obstructionism once & for all.What do you make of this recent development over the COG's refusal to release the Hocking "Economic Impact Study"?. What possible "bad news" (if any) could it possibly contain that the GWI & countless others havent been dining out on for months on end?. I say clear the air & forge ahead.

I think there's a very real chance that this entire thing goes silent until a resolution is struck one way or another.

Thats my read on it as well. I think the COG & the NHL/Buyer will present this thing as a fait au compli', likely absent the Bond issues with financial relief provided by the league itself (TNSE Relo Fee, Moyes Settlement etc).

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
So...they support the 25M to cover the losses, they just don't support the idea of attending the games. I get it.

You don't have to be a fan of the game to see the economic impact it has on the community.

If there were a sufficient number of fans, would any of us be talking about city subsidies? Honestly, there is an ROI here that can never be reached because the figures are so out of whack.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
If Glendale is going to put up $25m a year to support the team's operations why not just buy the team? At least then they could stabilize the franchise and have a chance (albeit small) of eventually balancing the books.

Steve Passless*

The NHL doesn't allow cities to own teams. However, the Coyotes are the league's precious little flower, and maybe the rules could be bent for them. Imagine that, the Packers of hockey in a desert (and deserted) strip mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad