Phoenix XXXV: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
The GWI obviously knew where the money was coming from on the escrow (the CoG didn't hide the fact of where it was coming from and the press widely reported the source of funds) and still chose not to sue to prevent payment. Unlike what they are doing in the Cave Creek School District case they filed.

So much for "protecting" the taxpayers ... if indeed you believe that was their purpose here. Paying the $25 M, in my view, means that a deal is going to get done. I doubt seriously that the CoG is prepared to walk from the $25 M when they have other avenues to fund what is basically between another $50 M to $75 M. It also make their next contribution even more defensible under the Gift Clause as it is less taxpayer money being used to purchase the parking rights.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Of course, I could be wrong.;)

That's one way to look at it. Or you could assume that by them actually transferring the money without an audit (extension of time to work out a deal). They have actually conceded a deal won't get done.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
That's an odd perspective. Glendale didn't really have any choice here but to start an audit and legal fight that they would certainly lose. I don't think you can say anything about the $25 million one way or another. Although I lean toward the NHL sending the bill at this time as a way of grabbing the cash before announcing a sale, to help prevent Glendale from trying to renege.

I guess we agree to disagree. I still stand by this:

If those bonds are sold and Glendale covers $25 million in losses, that could leave the NHL and Hulsizer to find other financing, other cash or other ways to come up the remaining $25 million to make the deal work, according to sources with intimate knowledge of the deal.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/04/28/nhl-bill-to-glendale-could-pump-25m.html

The $100 mil bond is dead but I have not heard anything about the $50 mil idea being off the table yet.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
That's one way to look at it. Or you could assume that by them actually transferring the money without an audit (extension of time to work out a deal). They have actually conceded a deal won't get done.

To counter, this quote is interesting:

Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni said the big invoice is not a total shock.

“The city of Glendale anticipated that this request might come at some point,†she said. “We understand that the NHL has the right to request it, pursuant to our agreement. The city is currently in the process of working with the NHL to audit the figures. It is important to note that the partners remain in active negotiations and hope to have a deal done soon,†Frisoni said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2011/04/28/nhl-bill-to-glendale-could-pump-25m.html

Dado

Or you could assume that by them actually transferring the money without an audit (extension of time to work out a deal).

My understanding is the money was transferred nearly a year ago and is sitting/waiting in an NHL-controlled account for the NHL to do with as they wish. And the "bill" isn't an "invoice", it's a "receipt".

So there shouldn't have to be anything for CoG to transfer, right? It's already long done.

Or am I hopelessly confused on this issue?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Wasn't it last Friday where the league told Glendale that they had 2 weeks to have their house in order? This should be done by the end of the week one way or another.

gkg you have 82000 posts. That is about 20000 fewer posts than there have been on this topic since the first time the bolded phrase was spoken.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
I remember reading an article from the Winnipeg Sun a few days ago. In it was a quote from Goldwater stating that they will not push foward a lawsuit until the deal is actually in place. This includes the $25 mil. So no, that money doesn't appear to be anywhere near out of the woods just yet...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
DarrenDregerCity of Glendale has met the NHL's deadline and has paid the $25 mil to cover a portion of the Coyotes losses. Now it's time to see if GWI sues or not.....

After the horse has left the stable?. They've been in a position to seek an injunction against the COG over the $25M since last May; and last Tuesdays announcement that the NHL was exercising its rights to the funds was a clear signal that should have predicated action pre-withdrawal. Whats really perplexing are Bolicks statements that "its not clear what the source of the funds are". Well, excuse me, but yes we do. The Enterprise Account. They were supposed to have been replenished with the Ellman Parking Garage monies that were held up in escrow. Whether they were or not is moot. Is the GWI suggesting its OK to use the Enterprise Account funds to directly subsidize the franchise & sale transaction?. This simply doesnt square with the institutes stated mandate. In seeking an injunction to retrieve the monies from the league post payment, a Judge is going to want to know why, if for a year they didnt act, why now?.

Paying the $25M, in my view, means that a deal is going to get done.

I agree. It narrows the gap in terms of financing. A much more reasonable Bond offering of $50-$60M based on the projections of parking rev's far more appropriate than $100M+. Combined with the $25M the leagues received, Hulsizers $70M & were getting pretty close. There are ways to get this done, however, the COG is simply going to have to hunker down & move those Bonds or perhaps they've come up with an alternate financing package, though I cant think of anything else that might suffice.

Dado

I wonder, Killion, if this isn't a sign that the deal is dead, and GWI is figuring 90% of the victory for 10% of the effort is enough and the $25M remnant isn't worth chasing.

Just a thought.

As to price...

$140M plus $30M for last year losses plus $30M for this year losses minus $25M escrow -> $175M....?

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I agree. It narrows the gap in terms of financing. A much more reasonable Bond offering of $50-$60M based on the projections of parking rev's far more appropriate than $100M+. Combined with the $25M the leagues received, Hulsizers $70M & were getting pretty close. There are ways to get this done, however, the COG is simply going to have to hunker down & move those Bonds or perhaps they've come up with an alternate financing package, though I cant think of anything else that might suffice.

Why would the NHL be looking at the $25 million as extra cash to throw into the purchase price of the team? This is just the city covering last year's losses. Well, part of last year's losses. It has nothing to do with the purchase price or the city financing to subsidize said purchase price.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
My understanding is the money was transferred nearly a year ago and is sitting/waiting in an NHL-controlled account for the NHL to do with as they wish. And the "bill" isn't an "invoice", it's a "receipt".

So there shouldn't have to be anything for CoG to transfer, right? It's already long done.

Or am I hopelessly confused on this issue?

I obviously chose my words poorly. I guess COG had the ability to challenge the numbers (audit), this would have granted them more time, a week or so I think I read. COG did already put the money in escrow and at this point I guess they allowed the NHL access to it.

gretschdrum

Oct 15, 2010

Wow, the stinkin' Jet's meter is about to do the Andrea Doria dip and dive! :cry: = Canada

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
My understanding is the money was transferred nearly a year ago and is sitting/waiting in an NHL-controlled account for the NHL to do with as they wish. And the "bill" isn't an "invoice", it's a "receipt". So there shouldn't have to be anything for CoG to transfer, right? It's already long done.

As you know Dado, the money was sitting in escrow since July 2010, the NHL in a position to provide statements of loss to the COG on the 15th of each month commensurate July (or maybe it was August) for reimbursement. As we know, they refrained from doing so, our "watchers" here on hf keeping one eye on the account month in month out ever since. GW claimed last June that the transaction was illegal, but were holding off on a suit until the final sale agreement & AMULA etc was forthcoming. Instead, they ramped up the barking when details of the MH deal became public in December, taking the battle public as we are all well aware. What I just dont understand is why Bolick would have any confusion as to the source of the $25M, and why they think they can roll it into a larger & all encompassing suit post withdrawal. It weakens their entire argument & case IMO.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
After the horse has left the stable?. They've been in a position to seek an injunction against the COG over the $25M since last May; and last Tuesdays announcement that the NHL was exercising its rights to the funds was a clear signal that should have predicated action pre-withdrawal. Whats really perplexing are Bolicks statements that "its not clear what the source of the funds are". Well, excuse me, but yes we do. The Enterprise Account. They were supposed to have been replenished with the Ellman Parking Garage monies that were held up in escrow. Whether they were or not is moot. Is the GWI suggesting its OK to use the Enterprise Account funds to directly subsidize the franchise & sale transaction?. This simply doesnt square with the institutes stated mandate. In seeking an injunction to retrieve the monies from the league post payment, a Judge is going to want to know why, if for a year they didnt act, why now?.

The problem is that GWI (and all of us) are making assumptions on where the money is coming from and where it is going. I'm pretty sure they are monitoring the situation pretty closely. Clint Bolick has said on more than one occasion that they cannot sue until a transaction closes or money changes hands. Are you going to sue that the COG had put the money in an escrow account? If they did the COG would turn around and say we haven't given anyone anything yet and the case would be dismissed. Now that money has actually changed hands I'm sure they are evaluating this although I would agree with most that I think they are waiting for this entire charade to play out before they file ONE lawsuit to object to the whole thing....

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In that instance we can at least agree that they had not assumed control of the team from a legal perspective, but were operating as if they did have that control [without the need to consult Moyes]. Maybe that was part of the problem from Moyes side. He obviously did not hesitate in taking the team to BK, so he must have understood that he still had that control (and I'll grant that the judge never did address that specifically, but said bankruptcy was required given what he could see of the debts and commitments, etc.).

I agree they were operating as if they had control, but whether they had fully "assumed control of the team from a legal perspective" was in dispute and never ruled on. The agreement signed with Moyes when the league took over funding and running the team appears to give the league the right to full control. The court dialog seemed to focus more on whether the league had exercised that right to control rather than whether the agreement granting the right was valid. Then again if it had been litigated to resolution I'm sure there would have been more elements challenged.

Dado

I agree they were operating as if they had control, but whether they had fully "assumed control of the team from a legal perspective" was in dispute and never ruled on.

I would think that Moyes having the ability to sign a dotted line and put the team in bankruptcy shows that, whatever the desires or intent, the NHL was not "fully" in control of the team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder, Killion, if this isn't a sign that the deal is dead, and GWI is figuring 90% of the victory for 10% of the effort is enough and the $25M remnant isn't worth chasing......Just a thought.

As to price...

$140M plus $30M for last year losses plus $30M for this year losses minus $25M escrow -> $175M....?

Ya, for sure, looking at the other side of the coin, the deal could well be dead. The NHL?. "Im entitled to my entitlements". :laugh:

And yes, your numbers appear accurate. If Hulsizer's unwilling to dig it up, the NHL may be able to provide a solution to the short through deferrals, broadcasting revenues & such. Its not as big a stretch as one might think.

Why would the NHL be looking at the $25 million as extra cash to throw into the purchase price of the team?

Because its "found" money. That $25M shaves $25M off of the total sale price.

Wow, the stinkin' Jet's meter is about to do the Andrea Doria dip and dive! :cry: = Canada

Yikes. Im thinking more Philadelphia Experiment & the vanishing USS Eldridge. Einsteins Unified Field Theories. Electromagnetic Radiation Waves. Sailors coming back from the Twilight Zone horribly disfigured, stuck in bulkheads, turned into spark plugs & davits. Real ugly grets.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Are you going to sue that the COG had put the money in an escrow account? If they did the COG would turn around and say we haven't given anyone anything yet and the case would be dismissed.

Ya, its a point of law that Im not qualified to comment on one way or the other quite frankly. Im just going on common sense. If you witness your neighbor exiting his backdoor at 3am carrying an AK47, decked out in camo gear & blackout face paint, arent you gonna call the cops?. Like, maybe?. Intentions pretty clear no?. :scared:

GSC2k2*

I think you are incorrect wrt to the timing. The JR offer was going to be presented right as Moyes got wind of it and took the team to BK. The NHL advances had already taken place.

Yes, yes, of course I never know what I am talking about. I never do a bit of research, right?

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyotes/docs/azb_2-09-bk-9488_150.pdf

As I have previously noted, the NHL did make advances to the team in respect of amounts to which the team was to be eventually entitled. Some $31.4M, in fact, although the amount at the time of petition was $23.6M (as some of the advances had already been credited back due to the distribution of NHL TV monies in late 2008). These advances were not, however, the loans which the NHL eventually recouped as a creditor under the bankruptcy. The advances would have eventually been credited back when the 2008-09 central revenue and revenue sharing was distributed in October/November 2009. THOSE loans were ADDITIONAL loans comprised of the outstanding NHL indebtedness (which began after the team exhausted ALL of its revenue sharing and central revenue advances) and the DIP (debtor-in-possession) financing.

At the time of petition, the amount of third party indebtedness (to SOF Investments) was $79.6M (para 32 of the linked document).

At the time of petition, the amount borrowed from the NHL (after the team had exhausted all of its 2008-09 advances) was $13.4M.

$79.6M + $13.4M = $93M.

Had he accepted the JR offer, those are the balances of indebtedness he would have been required to satisfy. Instead, the interest on SOF accumulated for 6 more months (~$1M more) and the indebtedness to the NHL grew to $36.3M. As well, the NHL paid in $2M to be set aside for the lawyers and accountants (effectively coming out of Moyes' pocket, since it reduced his potential recovery). As well, the lawyers for everybody have been drawing against the bankrupt estate for 2 years now. There are still several million left in the estate, but not much. For the financial summary of payments at the end:

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/deweyranchhockey/docs/Coyotes part 1.pdf

Regarding the underlined part? How do you get an advance against future revenue sharing, spend it, and then get a credit back????

I will ignore that, since you missed what was trying to be conveyed. The above should satisfy your grave concerns over my mathematics.

I think there was a claim made here by a poster that Moyes would have received $30-40MM if he'd accept the NHL's brokered deal with Reinsdorf. That is simply incorrect.

Your post quoted above at the beginning of my post constituted the sum total of your rationale for suggesting "that is simply incorrect". i would suggest that one has to actually try and rebut something instead of unilaterally declaring it incorrect, particuarly when it is written by someone who you know to have a wide array of information at their disposal and the wherewithal to digest and understand it.

In any event, the numbers are produced for all to see. Moyes made a mistake that cost him huge.

As I have also noted before, and Mouser supported as well, that is without even taking into account the $60M claim ($15M of which is covered by the personal guaranty - i.e., a no-brainer).

The continued insistence on making me - a proven contributor here, with no history of fabrication - jump through hoops, while allowing other posters to post unsupported positions, is noted.

Who knows? We haven't had any updates on the status of that suit, first of all. Secondly all Moyes has to show is that the contracts were with the LLC's and not him at some relevant point in time, so I don't know why you place any kind of certainty on the Gretzky portion of things since it has yet to happen. The NHL has needed Moyes' cooperation in handling the AMULA's while Glendale worked out its issues. We simply don't know what else they've agreed to nor do we know what happened to that suit.

We certainly do not know for sure, but you should be made aware that Moyes' cooperation has been limited. The limit has been to facilitate NHL and COG transactions which suit his purpose of limiting his exposure (i.e., getting a new local deal with MH), but rest assured that he has been fighting hammer and tong with the parties on any and all other issues. One need only review the record to identify numerous fierce spats between the parties since the team was sold.

CF had uncovered the NHL/Moyes lawsuit. Perhaps he can confirm whether it is still pending.

Regarding Gretzky, the bankruptcy record, particuarly the deposition transcripts, are replete with evidence that the Gretzky contracts were with Moyes personally. Even Rodier fessed up to it in one of his emails to Moyes' counsel.

Here's another way to look at it. Moyes, by exiting and gaining bankruptcy protection isn't losing $30 MM per year, or more, any longer. He's about $60-70 MM ahead right now. In the meantime, he may have gained some personal satisfaction by upsetting Beasley's attempt to run around him. He also is free and clear of the claims from Glendale for terminating the lease. Could he have accepted JR and achieved the same thing? Maybe, but one does wonder why he responded with such, well, ferocity.

That is not a feasible way of looking at it. If he had taken JR's deal (remember, that is the subject), he would not have undertaken those losses either.

he was not free and clear from any of COG's claims for terminating the lease, either. As an aside, the COG also sued him personally, IIRC.

He did not respond with anything approaching ferocity. He simply was a desperate guy (for reasons related to his other affairs) who went for the big potential score. There is nothing to support he was acting out of vengeance. If you were more familiar with the most duplicitous parts of what he did in terms of his legal trickery (I can expand if you wish), you would know that he simply got swept along with a bunch of lawyers who wanted to try out a few tricks for their own edification.

I think bankruptcy laws will always trump any contracts between private parties if these are designed to prevent one party from seeking protection from creditors. What the NHL may want to do is keep a closer on eye on owners leveraging the team itself when seeking credit (e.g., Dallas and Hicks).

Bankruptcy laws will protect creditors, but they don't act so as to invalidate personal guarantees of principals of a bankrupt company. In order to stop them, the personal guarantor must himself go bankrupt. Personal guarantees are what lenders require in order to prevent being exposed if the borrower itself goes bankrupt.

crazed323

Mar 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Wow, the stinkin' Jet's meter is about to do the Andrea Doria dip and dive! = Canada

I hope so, I hope everyday.

Ok guys relax. It's not a Coyotes death watch meter persay. It includes the possibly of getting a team by any means. It won't go significantly downward if the Coyotes stay. But Wow, talk about hoping against the hopes of an enitre fan base..
Sounds familar... but I thought a particular fan base was way above that. I guess were all the same :laugh:

Last edited:

LT_Canadian

Jul 13, 2003
Thunder Bay ON Can
The GWI obviously knew where the money was coming from on the escrow (the CoG didn't hide the fact of where it was coming from and the press widely reported the source of funds) and still chose not to sue to prevent payment. Unlike what they are doing in the Cave Creek School District case they filed.

So much for "protecting" the taxpayers ... if indeed you believe that was their purpose here. Paying the $25 M, in my view, means that a deal is going to get done. I doubt seriously that the CoG is prepared to walk from the $25 M when they have other avenues to fund what is basically between another $50 M to $75 M. It also make their next contribution even more defensible under the Gift Clause as it is less taxpayer money being used to purchase the parking rights.

In for a penny, in for a pound. Of course, I could be wrong.;)

I'm not sure that COG paying the 25 million has any reference to a deal be done or not done. They made the agreement with the NHL in order to keep the team for one more year. If a deal gets done with Hulsizer they will get that back but either way they were having to pay.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
Ya, its a point of law that Im not qualified to comment on one way or the other quite frankly. Im just going on common sense. If you witness your neighbor exiting his backdoor at 3am carrying an AK47, decked out in camo gear & blackout face paint, arent you gonna call the cops?. Like, maybe?. Intentions pretty clear no?. :scared:

Fair point...but if the AK47 turns out to be a toy gun and we find out he's going to Halloween party... how likely are the police to believe you the next time you claim that your neighbor is committing a crime?

I just think they are waiting for the final transaction to go down before they file suit....I don't think it will be too late and they will challenge the agreement on multiple fronts including the fact that the COG already owns the parking rights (assuming bonds are sold with parking as collateral)....

Duckhole

Drinking Listerene
Mar 3, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Ok guys relax. It's not a Coyotes death watch meter persay. It includes the possibly of getting a team by any means. It won't go significantly downward if the Coyotes stay. But Wow, talk hoping against the hopes of an enitre fan base..
Sounds familar... but I thought a particular fan base was way above that. I guess were all the same :laugh:

I hope winnipeg gets a team just not mine or any other fans team. We are not the same.:naughty:

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
I'm not sure that COG paying the 25 million has any reference to a deal be done or not done. They made the agreement with the NHL in order to keep the team for one more year. If a deal gets done with Hulsizer they will get that back but either way they were having to pay.

Like I said, I could be wrong, but would you not agree the $25M comes off the purchase price MH has already said he would cover? That's $25M less to MH to buy the team. That's 25 million reasons why I think it may tend to show the deal will get done.

However, I'm not claiming it will get done. Been on that branch before and had it cut off more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig