Phoenix XXXV: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Two things...it makes me sick that Winnipegs transfer fee would prop up Phoenix but why would the NHL owners just give up that money. It's suppose to go in their pockets not Hulsizers pocket to buy a team.

I don't recall the NHL charging Burke & Gluckstern a transfer fee when the team went to Phoenix.

i agree, but if they move phoenix they get no relocation fee because they want their investment returned, which is somewhere near $190m...all of TNSE's money will get eaten up by existing debt.

if they move phoenix to winnipeg, will they find another buyer to give them $60m over what ASG wants?....in the scenario where atlanta is moved they at least solve both problems and still net some part of the relocation fee.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
You should probably research this. The NHL asking price is $170 million. The $25 million was never to bring the asking price down, that doesn't even make any sense.

You're right it's not part of the 170M. However the 25M in escrow was supposed to be covered by the buyer. The buyer was supposed to spend 170M plus give the COG back the 25M in put in escrow (or allow them to keep it). However, now the COG is paying 25M and so this is no longer the buyer's obligation.

It's like that old riddle. 3 guys go to a hotel and pay 10 bucks each ($30 total) to stay the night. The owner realized he charged the guys too much money and gives the bell hop 5 bucks to give back to them. The bellhop realizes he can't split 5 bucks evenly so he gives each guy a dollar back and keeps the two bucks. So each guy ended up paying 9 dollars x 3 = $27 dollars + $2 kept by the bellhop = $29. What happened to the missing dollar?

That is the creative accounting that this process is going through.....

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
i agree, but if they move phoenix they get no relocation fee because they want their investment returned, which is somewhere near $190m...all of TNSE's money will get eaten up by existing debt.

will they find another buyer to give them $60m over what ASG wants?....probably not, so its not really money out of their pockets....they would not see it either way, but in the scenario where atlanta is moved they at least solve both problems and still net some part of the relocation fee.

That doesn't solve all the problems. There's still the problem of leaving a city full of people (half of which grew up in northern cities) without ever giving them a chance to see if they would support a good local NHL team. Leaving them without looking like they made any effort to help them keep a team while bending over backwards to help a smaller market from losing theirs.

Dado

YSo each guy ended up paying 9 dollars x 3 = $27 dollars + $2 kept by the bellhop = $29. What happened to the missing dollar?

Been going over that riddle for a decade with my own mother, who, despite my best explanational efforts, is convinced it proves that Math is ********.

:laugh:

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Not workin for me GHOST. You take the twenty five bucks & buy a bucket of chicken. Seventy five goes on the booze. Lets get our priorities straight. :)

In fairness, my example was tailored to our American friend. $25 will get you a lot of booze in AZ. Not everywhere in the world has a 300% tax on booze like in BC.

GHOST

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL

In fairness, my example was tailored to our American friend. $25 will get you a lot of booze in AZ. Not everywhere in the world has a 300% tax on booze like in BC.

GHOST

That $75 is better spent on the booze here too. The $25 will still get you a bucket of chicken and some fries (but with ketchup, not gravy).

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
All parties involved have said the GWI is not relevant to what deal they craft given the GWI's narrow reading of the Gift Clause. There is no way, absent MH paying nearly double the FMV of the franchise, that the GWI would be satisfied. The only thing relevant is how to cobble togather $170 M.

I believe the parties view a GWI challenge a fait accompli (assuming the GWI follows through, which I do not believe they will).
Okay. Fair enough. But...

What stopped the deal for the past four-plus months? CoG didn't sell the bonds and has now withdrawn them. What specifically scuttled the deal between CoG and Hulsizer?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
You kinda lost me there xtra. Heres the math for clarification.

1) NHL paid $140M for the team
2) Lost app, $25M 09/10, $37M 10/11
3) Total Cost to Purchase Team = $202M

4) COG covers $25M in losses
5) MH pays app. $70M
6) COG sells $60M in Bonds
7) Total raised (if COG does sell the Bonds) = $155M

This leaves MH & the COG looking for app. $45M to satisfy the NHL.

Makes sense i originally thought the losses would be tacked on top of the sale price(of 200 mil) but what you have said makes sense.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
What's TNSE's price for a franchise? From Killion's math...

Looks to me the "investment" is somwhere near $180 million. Think TNSE will pay more to have the privilege of operating an NHL franchise in Winnipeg?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I would think that Moyes having the ability to sign a dotted line and put the team in bankruptcy shows that, whatever the desires or intent, the NHL was not "fully" in control of the team.

As I was attempting to point out it does not show whether that is legally true or not. The NHL agreed to proceed with the bankruptcy hearing without settling whether Moyes had the authority to file or not. Shep did explicitly say the NHL would table the dispute at Baum's suggestion, but reserved the position to assert it again later in the case or an appeal.

I'm not advocating how it would have gone if Baum had to rule on the control question, just pointing out that it was a bona fide legal dispute. If the NHL has future situations like Moyes, where an owner drops the keys off with the league, I expect the league will architect the legal agreements in a way to leave no question who has authority to take significant actions on the part of the team like filing for bankruptcy.

Dado

...I expect the league will architect the legal agreements in a way to leave no question who has authority to take significant actions on the part of the team like filing for bankruptcy.

I'm not sure that's even possible, short of outright buying the team from the current owner.

At a minimum, it will mean that the NHL will be absorbing all the losses and assuming the existing debt during the interim regime, which raises many many fresh issues.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
As I was attempting to point out it does not show whether that is legally true or not. The NHL agreed to proceed with the bankruptcy hearing without settling whether Moyes had the authority to file or not. Shep did explicitly say the NHL would table the dispute at Baum's suggestion, but reserved the position to assert it again later in the case or an appeal.

I'm not advocating how it would have gone if Baum had to rule on the control question, just pointing out that it was a bona fide legal dispute. If the NHL has future situations like Moyes, where an owner drops the keys off with the league, I expect the league will architect the legal agreements in a way to leave no question who has authority to take significant actions on the part of the team like filing for bankruptcy.

I always did find it odd that they capitulated on this point. If I recall, the first prong of their attack was to contest that Moyes had any right to take the team to bankruptcy. Baum's reading of the financials was that it indeed could be placed there, so let's just do it. However, from the NHL's perspective, they were willing to take over the team operations and find a resolution that was acceptable to them. In fact, they felt they had that resolution with Reinsdorf.

Why allow it to proceed through the next several months of waiting and hearings IF they had a case to prevent the bankruptcy action?

Dado

Why allow it to proceed through the next several months of waiting and hearings IF they had a case to prevent the bankruptcy action?

I suppose the cynical answer is they saw a way to break the back of CoG's lease.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh:In fairness, my example was tailored to our American friend. $25 will get you a lot of booze in AZ. Not everywhere in the world has a 300% tax on booze like in BC.GHOST

Thats true enough, and twenty five bucks wont get us much more than a snack pack from the Colonel's. Mind you, after a few drinks, who eats?. :laugh:

What's TNSE's price for a franchise? From Killion's math...

Looks to me the "investment" is somwhere near $180 million. Think TNSE will pay more to have the privilege of operating an NHL franchise in Winnipeg?

I couldnt give you the right change from a buck if my life depended on it, but ya, I think I got those numbers right. Maybe GHOST can figure it out. He apparently likes shoppin & such. :laugh:

And yes, I do think TNSE will pay north of $200M to secure a franchise. Is it fair, equitable in relation to other recent transactions (Tampa for eg)?. Not really. The leagues not about to take a shower let alone a bath on the Coyotes. What would be interesting however would be a situation whereby both TNSE & or QC refused to pay that much. What would the league do then?. Im sure it could be figured out but still, a rather entertaining notion.....

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yes, yes, of course I never know what I am talking about. I never do a bit of research, right?

One more favor, since you're in an obliging mood. Can you give me the Exec Summary version? I have to read all these posts, so the less time they take, the better. ;)

As to the point above, just because we can look at the same set of information and come to different conclusions doesn't mean you don't do research, nor that I would accuse of you of not knowing what you're talking about. If I wanted to tell you that, I have your email address, right? And a phone number. And where you work. I'm surprised that you'd get melodramatic over our friendly little barbs.

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyotes/docs/azb_2-09-bk-9488_150.pdf

As I have previously noted, the NHL did make advances to the team in respect of amounts to which the team was to be eventually entitled. Some $31.4M, in fact, although the amount at the time of petition was $23.6M (as some of the advances had already been credited back due to the distribution of NHL TV monies in late 2008). These advances were not, however, the loans which the NHL eventually recouped as a creditor under the bankruptcy. [/quote]

Okay. The NHL loaned him$31.4 MM, and we deducted the team's share of central funds owed to them, leaving $13.4 MM. Why didn't you say so?

At the time of petition, the amount of third party indebtedness (to SOF Investments) was $79.6M (para 32 of the linked document).

Agreed.
At the time of petition, the amount borrowed from the NHL (after the team had exhausted all of its 2008-09 advances) was $13.4M.

$79.6M + $13.4M = $93M.

This was in May 2009, correct? Do you know what the offer from Reinsdorf was when Bettman was headed to see Moyes in May of 2009 to present it?

Had he accepted the JR offer, those are the balances of indebtedness he would have been required to satisfy. Instead, the interest on SOF accumulated for 6 more months (~$1M more) and the indebtedness to the NHL grew to $36.3M.

This is where you lose me again (coupled to knowing what JR was offering in May 2009). The $1 MM is rather immaterial to this part of the discussion. How did the indebtedness to the NHL go from $13.4MM to $36.3MM?

Does it include the $15 MM personal guarantee, which of course the NHL is suing to gain per the last report over a year ago, but we'll wait for CF.

We certainly do not know for sure, but you should be made aware that Moyes' cooperation has been limited. The limit has been to facilitate NHL and COG transactions which suit his purpose of limiting his exposure (i.e., getting a new local deal with MH), but rest assured that he has been fighting hammer and tong with the parties on any and all other issues. One need only review the record to identify numerous fierce spats between the parties since the team was sold.

That's the thing about money. He did leave himself exposed, but did he have something to leverage to reduce that exposure, in the end nullifying the loss he should have suffered?

Regarding Gretzky, the bankruptcy record, particuarly the deposition transcripts, are replete with evidence that the Gretzky contracts were with Moyes personally. Even Rodier fessed up to it in one of his emails to Moyes' counsel.

Shouldn't Gretzky be the one suing Moyes then? Honestly, does the NHL have any standing since their case has been over the Coyotes ownership and their own personal guarantee with Moyes?
That is not a feasible way of looking at it. If he had taken JR's deal (remember, that is the subject), he would not have undertaken those losses either.

Had you not snipped my post where you had, it goes on to say exactly that, hence my query as to why he'd take as big a gamble as he did. When logic fails to explain motivation, look to emotion. As any good divorce attorney might tell you.

he was not free and clear from any of COG's claims for terminating the lease, either. As an aside, the COG also sued him personally, IIRC.

The lease does fall fully under the BK court's jurisdiction however. COG is free to file a claim, iirc, but they'll have to fight over the pennies that are left after the secured creditors are paid out.

Bankruptcy laws will protect creditors, but they don't act so as to invalidate personal guarantees of principals of a bankrupt company. In order to stop them, the personal guarantor must himself go bankrupt. Personal guarantees are what lenders require in order to prevent being exposed if the borrower itself goes bankrupt.

The NHL already has personal guarantees in place. They may have a hard time increasing the amount required, which the case amply highlights.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
I suppose the cynical answer is they saw a way to break the back of CoG's lease.

Surely, but you'd have to believe that they didn't have a valid offer from JR and that he had no lease with COG. If you believe that, they didn't need to worry about breaking the lease. ;)

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
You're right it's not part of the 170M. However the 25M in escrow was supposed to be covered by the buyer. The buyer was supposed to spend 170M plus give the COG back the 25M in put in escrow (or allow them to keep it). However, now the COG is paying 25M and so this is no longer the buyer's obligation.

It's like that old riddle. 3 guys go to a hotel and pay 10 bucks each ($30 total) to stay the night. The owner realized he charged the guys too much money and gives the bell hop 5 bucks to give back to them. The bellhop realizes he can't split 5 bucks evenly so he gives each guy a dollar back and keeps the two bucks. So each guy ended up paying 9 dollars x 3 = $27 dollars + $2 kept by the bellhop = $29. What happened to the missing dollar?

That is the creative accounting that this process is going through.....

Kind of like the NHL's pricing. If ATL's owners will sell ATL for $110, AZ as a market is probably not worth $60 million more than that is it? So the NHL is in effect charging MH a 'location fee' (as opposed to a 'relocation fee' - presumably, MH could buy ATL to keep it in ATL for $110 million, but if he wants to buy AZ to keep it in AZ... it'll cost him $170 million plus... o-kayyyy, whatever).

So like those poor 3 schlubs paying $27 for a $25 room, with MH paying more than rack rate for an NHL franchise... and getting some money back... we know he's still overpaying for this location... so who is the bellhop in this scenario? GB? GI? the CoG? the BOG?

Ripper

Sep 19, 2006
Math lesson

2 things.

You can't add in the last two years losses for the Coyotes into this, these are losses already written off via taxes, and the $25 million just paid by COG is unrelated to the sale because they are the owners (NHL's) partner in this current tax year. MH was willing to pay 70 million with another 100million in bonds from the proceeds of contrived parking revenue, (parking doesn't even exist yet so how can you say what that is worth?) So really the team is for sale at $70 million.

As for the $30.00 dollars coming out to $29.00, think about it.

The hotel gets $30.00 and gives $5.00 back for a net $25.00
Each guy really pays $9.00 for a total of $27.00 but the waitress gets tiped $2.00 for a matching net of $25.00

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
Okay. Fair enough. But...

What stopped the deal for the past four-plus months? CoG didn't sell the bonds and has now withdrawn them. What specifically scuttled the deal between CoG and Hulsizer?

As I said, the CoG say they had subscriptions for $50M in bonds. What scuttled the deal was not getting subscriptions for the entire amount. Assume they can get the buyers back for the $50M, they have a $25M gap to close. The GWI's involved was presumed in the first sale, and wouldn't effect the new offering (if they go down that route instead of some other form of financing).

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
2 things.

You can't add in the last two years losses for the Coyotes into this, these are losses already written off via taxes, and the $25 million just paid by COG is unrelated to the sale because they are the owners (NHL's) partner in this current tax year. MH was willing to pay 70 million with another 100million in bonds from the proceeds of contrived parking revenue, (parking doesn't even exist yet so how can you say what that is worth?) So really the team is for sale at $70 million.

Each guy really pays $9.00 for a total of $27.00 but the waitress gets tiped $2.00 for a matching net of $25.00

What taxes? You have to make money to pay taxes. Is this organization really a taxpayer? I'd expect that a lot of their NOLs have expired unused.

PeeBee78

Sep 18, 2009
T-Dot!
2 things.

Right.....the whole point is that the math adds $2 to 27 instead of subtracting it to get to 25. The same thing is happening with the 25M from COG. They put it in the escrow with all expectations being that the new buyer would refund them the 25M. Now the NHL has taken it out of the escrow and is using it potentially drop the overall cost of the sale by 25M. Now you see how it resembles the riddle? :)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Been going over that riddle for a decade with my own mother, who, despite my best explanational efforts, is convinced it proves that Math is ********.

:help::dunno:

Oh sure, now it's .......Crickets

Last edited:

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
$70m from matty
$25m from sewers kitty
$60m from bonds
$60m relocation fee for atlanta.

total: $215m.

that covers the purchase price, the losses for both years and has an extra $10-15m for a nice party for the BOG....

make it so gary....both problems solved at once.....then move florida to quebec in 3 years for another $60m and expand into mississauga for $300m.

i should be commissioner
solid plan but what an odd way to spell Hamilton:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad