Status
Not open for further replies.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Good question.

Why didn't PHX, CAR and COL have to?

Because unlike the PHX, CAR and COL situations the NHL owns the team and the other 29 owners have been subject to $25 million in annual losses. I'm sure they're saying to Bettman -- when we get rid of this albatross make sure it goes to a market and an owner which makes us completely and totally rid of it for good.

Moreover, a market like Winnipeg does nothing for the slice of national TV money going to each of the other 29 owners. Indeed, the loss of Phoenix probably makes the US national TV rights marginally less valuable, and the addition of Winnipeg will do nothing to offset that. So I'm sure the other owners feel that it's particularly incumbent upon Winnipeg to show it's economically sustainable at the gate.

All that said, I'm rooting hard for Winnipeg. I think it's terrible that the Jets were relocated, and this would really help to right a wrong.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Because unlike the PHX, CAR and COL situations the NHL owns the team and the other 29 owners have been subject to $25 million in annual losses. I'm sure they're saying to Bettman -- when we get rid of this albatross make sure it goes to a market and an owner which makes us completely and totally rid of it for good.

Moreover, a market like Winnipeg does nothing for the slice of national TV money going to each of the other 29 owners. Indeed, the loss of Phoenix probably makes the US national TV rights marginally less valuable, and the addition of Winnipeg will do nothing to offset that. So I'm sure the other owners feel that it's particularly incumbent upon Winnipeg to show it's economically sustainable at the gate.

All that said, I'm rooting hard for Winnipeg. I think it's terrible that the Jets were relocated, and this would really help to right a wrong.

Completely agree - the NHL needs to know they aren't just moving the turd to a different pocket. In addition, TNSE needs to know that there is a real demand for NHL hockey in Winnipeg, not just pie-in-the-sky, gosh-it'd-sure-be-swell pipe-dreaming before they cut a cheque for $170 million of their own money.

This is no different from when you were a kid and your dad took you to the pet store, asked you seven times "Are you sure you'll take care of the puppy, even when it pees everywhere?" :laugh:

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
Funny coincidences on the radio this morning.

in 1996 Jeff Stoughton won the World Curling Championships, Detroit Red Wings eliminated the Jets from the playoffs

in 2011 Jeff Stoughton wins his first World Curling Championship since 1996 and Wings are 1-0 on the Coyotes in the playoffs

:laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

in 1996 Jeff Stoughton won the World Curling Championships, Detroit Red Wings eliminated the Jets from the playoffs

in 2011 Jeff Stoughton wins his first World Curling Championship since 1996 and Wings are 1-0 on the Coyotes in the playoffs

The coincidences are getting Eerie....:amazed: :laugh:

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
There is no concrete news that the deal in Glendale has failed though. I still believe that Bettman is going to give the deadline date and COG will take money from somewhere to make this happen.

In other news, I have my money ready to buy tickets in Winnipeg.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010

So you're saying it's Stoughton's fault the team didn't return sooner (assuming they are returning now).

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Slam Sports Article

Article basically sums up what others have already reported....interesting quote though...

Seems some fans are more confident in this 'flying' than Chipman was/is.

that quote was from 6 years ago. Also, why wouldn't the league want a committment from a prospective market? Didn't Balsillie try a similar approach? The only difference is this drive appears to have league approval....

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mod note: If you want to talk what's happening in WPG, viability of market, head to that thread.

This thread is for "what's happening" in Phoenix and the effect of Winnipeg news on the sales process.

Lots (think 200+ posts) of good stuff I'm deleting 'cause its not related to Phoenix.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So you're saying it's Stoughton's fault the team didn't return sooner (assuming they are returning now).

Hey don't rag on Jeff. He's a class guy all the way!

It is still possible as some have speculated that the NHL may be giving CoG one last chance to sweeten the deal. But how does that fly with GWI. If the bond offering backed by the parking was going to result in a potential court battle, how would the use of reserve funds or any other cash infussion not make things worse. Unfortunately for Yote's fans if this one is hanging by a thread it looks like it is a very thin one.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It is still possible as some have speculated that the NHL may be giving CoG one last chance to sweeten the deal....

Indeed. I cant imagine how the COG could possibly "sweeten" the deal anymore than they already have, and clearly, dipping into the Enterprise Account with a direct payment to MH would cause one Mother of a Firestorm; no, IMO, the only one's who could possibly make this happen at this time would be first & foremost Matthew Hulsizer & to a lesser extent the NHL re-working critical issues upon which both parties are seemingly fixed & entrenched. No wiggle room.

GSC2k2*

Hey don't rag on Jeff. He's a class guy all the way!

It is still possible as some have speculated that the NHL may be giving CoG one last chance to sweeten the deal. But how does that fly with GWI. If the bond offering backed by the parking was going to result in a potential court battle, how would the use of reserve funds or any other cash infussion not make things worse. Unfortunately for Yote's fans if this one is hanging by a thread it looks like it is a very thin one.

It would be a lot better, actually.

GWI has two main alleged arguments (or, given their lack of actually ever saying anything, at least they are pretending to):

1. The issuance of bonds amounts to providing their credit for Hulsizer; and

2. The bond costs are horrendous.

If they do not issue the bonds, they are left with truly nothing to argue on either of those fronts.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
it still amazes me that there still are some people who think that las vegas, k.c., or any other center in the usa is the subject of the phoenix team being relocated to.....especially since not one buyer or tire kicker in whole of the usa came by the yotes to check them out!!!!!!...look at atlanta...whats going to happen there now with this news about phoenix deal being dead....does taht mean the balkin is actually exists and buying the team or the teams....or....are they to be relocated to quebec?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If they do not issue the bonds, they are left with truly nothing to argue on either of those fronts.

Wouldn't dipping in to a reserve fund to finance MH's purchase be even more odious in the eyes of GWI? I'm assuming that these reserve fund are comprised mainly of property tax revenues.

I'm curious about your assertion that they would have nothing left to argue.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

GWI has two main alleged arguments (or, given their lack of actually ever saying anything, at least they are pretending to):

It goes back to one of the other original arguments of the City is overpaying for what it is receiving in return. This also does not address the up to 97 million they are gong to pay MH for the arena management.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010

So GSC, are you saying that the COG taking from a fund that is from TAXPAYER money sounds like a totally legit deal and should be done and GWI wouldn't fight that?

If the rainy day account has been built up over time from taxes, that would actually be far worse in the GWI eyes of using taxpayer money to fund MH.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
IIRC, a relocation fee was specifically referenced as a "profit" in the sales agreement and would flow to the bankrupt estate of Moyes.

From Part the XXXIInd:

CasualFan said:
kdb209 said:
Do you have a link for that?

IIRC, the NHL's BK Purchase Offer had a clause that any net profit on the sale of the Franchise (within two years) would go to the BK estate - it did not include any relocation fee.

The precedent of Raiders II is pretty clear - and was quoted several times by Judge Baum - the rights to vacant markets are owned by the League (and are a separate asset from the franchise) and a relocation fee equal to the difference in franchise value between the old and new marked is a Relocation Fee due to the League.

Reluctantly, at the order of Judge Baum, the NHL did submit two appraisals indicating tentative Relocation Fees of $101M & $195M for a move to Hamilton. JB's studies came back with much lower numbers ($11.2M - $12.9M). These fees were separate from the offered purchase price.
NHL APA @ Definition "Net Profit"

For the avoidance of doubt, the calculation of Net Profit shall not include (x) any relocation fees or other payments made directly to the NHL or to the Member Clubs in connection with any Team Sale

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Indeed. I cant imagine how the COG could possibly "sweeten" the deal anymore than they already have, and clearly, dipping into the Enterprise Account with a direct payment to MH would cause one Mother of a Firestorm; no, IMO, the only one's who could possibly make this happen at this time would be first & foremost Matthew Hulsizer & to a lesser extent the NHL re-working critical issues upon which both parties are seemingly fixed & entrenched. No wiggle room.

If recent media reports are true, the NHL is "out" of the negotiations and have more or less asked Glendale and Hulsizer to finalize a deal pronto, or they are moving on. So, that means that Hulsizer either has to come up with more money, or Glendale has to bite the bullet and either sell the bonds at whatever rate it takes, or perhaps directly fund this. But I think that if Glendale contemplated digging $200 million out of the Enterprise Fund, they would have done that by now (remember, they have not identified a source for the "arena management fees" for the next 5.5. years, and beyond). I just can't see that happening, but I guess one can't really know what Glendale is likely to do.

I am still at a loss to explain why Glendale did not try to get a declarative judgment to neuter the GWI's challenge if they are serious about getting this done. They have now had 2.5 months to do so since the GWI's letter to bond brokers. Moreover, it is amazing to me that they did not go straight to the bond market after the lease approved on December 14. It was a full 6 weeks after that when the GWI sent a letter to the bond brokers.

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
It goes back to one of the other original arguments of the City is overpaying for what it is receiving in return. This also does not address the up to 97 million they are gong to pay MH for the arena management.

I'm pretty sure giving someone an overpayment on a service that on average is far less could fall under the gift clause. Why overpay when on average that service is far less $$, especially with outright awarding a service on a city owned property and not bringing it to tender.
Glendale has a bid opportunities site, they can tender any services off that

http://www.ci.glendale.az.us/purchasing/bidopportunities.cfm

no wonder GWI calls foul on the deal.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site

I think it is quite clear the net present value of the parking rights is less than $100 mil. Only the heavily disputed study found them to be worth $100 mil. The high interest on the bonds made the numbers worse, as it made the NPV of the parking rights worth even less to the city, so if they dip into a cash reserve, they can more credibly use a discount rate of say 6%. At a 6% discount rate, they are arguably around the border of not-proportionate/grossly disproportionate with a NPV of ~$70-75 mil, whereas at 9%, the NPV to the city is under $50 mil, which to me puts them firmly in grossly disproportionate territory.

But, I don't see Goldwater backing away even if the city pays cash for these parking rights, as they still have a case, just not as good of one.

Awesome Sauce

Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver Island
It is so ironic that after following this saga for over 2 years now, we are finally getting down to some real concrete information and the thread title is "Sound of Silence". :laugh: So appropriate for this roller coaster ride.

GSC2k2*

Wouldn't dipping in to a reserve fund to finance MH's purchase be even more odious in the eyes of GWI? I'm assuming that these reserve fund are comprised mainly of property tax revenues.

I'm curious about your assertion that they would have nothing left to argue.

COG money is COG money.

1. Given that Hulsizer is guaranteeing that COG will receive value equalling not less than $75M in NPV, it is impossible to overpay (even though, under the gift clause, there is no requirement that the values be equal).

So GSC, are you saying that the COG taking from a fund that is from TAXPAYER money sounds like a totally legit deal and should be done and GWI wouldn't fight that?

If the rainy day account has been built up over time from taxes, that would actually be far worse in the GWI eyes of using taxpayer money to fund MH.

See above. Taxpayer money is taxpayer money. If they raise it through a bond offering, it is still taxpayer money that must repay that debt. From a gift clause perspective, it is thoroughly irrelevant. If the parking revenues, etc can pay back a bond issue, they can pay back draws from a COG bank account just as readily. One may argue that those revenues will be insufficient (and be wrong in doing so), but it makes no difference where the monies originally came from. It is not even a question worth debating.

If recent media reports are true, the NHL is "out" of the negotiations and have more or less asked Glendale and Hulsizer to finalize a deal pronto, or they are moving on. So, that means that Hulsizer either has to come up with more money, or Glendale has to bite the bullet and either sell the bonds at whatever rate it takes, or perhaps directly fund this. But I think that if Glendale contemplated digging $200 million out of the Enterprise Fund, they would have done that by now (remember, they have not identified a source for the "arena management fees" for the next 5.5. years, and beyond). I just can't see that happening, but I guess one can't really know what Glendale is likely to do.

I am still at a loss to explain why Glendale did not try to get a declarative judgment to neuter the GWI's challenge if they are serious about getting this done. They have now had 2.5 months to do so since the GWI's letter to bond brokers. Moreover, it is amazing to me that they did not go straight to the bond market after the lease approved on December 14. It was a full 6 weeks after that when the GWI sent a letter to the bond brokers.

It is strange - almost like a "taxpayer watchdog" deceived them by saying in meetings that they had no problems with the deal and then lowered the boom, huh? Nah, GWI would never do that, would they? :shakehead

It never fails to amaze me how people do not seem to get the difficult position that COG is in here. If they are required to get a declarative judgment for this, then what about the next thing that GWI wishes to compalin about in COG (and yes, there will be more)? Do they have to get a declarative judgment for that as well? do they - an elected body, mind you - then have to vet everything they do past the GWI and their falsified version of Turken v. Gordon? The fact that they receive derision from people who are in no way able to appreciate the difficulty of the position used to amaze me, but it just makes me chuckle now.

Regarding the time taken to get to the bond market, there are many steps that need to be taken in order to accomplish this.

Perhaps there are som statutory restrictions from using the Enterprise fund. Who knows? I imagine that has been an opportunity they have considered.

I'm pretty sure giving someone an overpayment on a service that on average is far less could fall under the gift clause. Why overpay when on average that service is far less $$, especially with outright awarding a service on a city owned property and not bringing it to tender.
Glendale has a bid opportunities site, they can tender any services off that

http://www.ci.glendale.az.us/purchasing/bidopportunities.cfm

no wonder GWI calls foul on the deal.

Since Hulsizer is bringing an NHL team as an anchor tenant and the anchor tenant will not come unless the arena management is part of the deal, they would have to run a tender which involves the other tenderers bringing an NHL team (or equivalent anchor tenant) as well, in order for it to be apples to apples and provide the same benefit to the COG. Since this is not available, the tender option is moot. Anyone who has thought that this is a tender situation has not really thought this through too thoroughly.

Regarding overpaying, a deal which simply pays for reimbursable expenses, without markup, is BY DEFINITION not overpaying. moreover, the deal would not even cover the basic arena expenses of MH, as i demonstrated a few threads ago right at the beginning of the thread. MH will be $11-13M short of having all of his direct arena expenses covered, and that is without doing anything (like a huge marketing push) beyond what Moyes did.

BrianL*

If recent media reports are true, the NHL is "out" of the negotiations and have more or less asked Glendale and Hulsizer to finalize a deal pronto, or they are moving on.

And what happens if they decide to risk a suit from GWI, and the deal that is finalized brings down the wrath of Darcy and ends up in court? The NHL would just sit back for who knows how long and let the legal process play out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad