Phoenix XXV: Anyone in the theatre seen a pale horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
From the article:

1) Sources closely tied to the continuing saga that is the attempted sale of the Phoenix Coyotes to Chicago businessman Matt Hulsizer say there's a lot of moving pieces in play this week.

Among them - the city of Glendale's reported threat to sue the Goldwater Institute for interfering in the sale of the team, resulting in the potential of hundreds of millions of dollars in future lost revenue.

Glendale's lawsuit shows the city's willingness to fight back. But isn't expected to have much, if any impact on Goldwater's positioning.

Some believe the NHL may also be planning a move to assist in a deal with Hulsizer being reached, but whether that involves a financial commitment remains unclear.

The beginning of the week presents more questions than answers, with no guarantee that the bond issues will be resolved by the end of week as was originally expected.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Brilliant title. Well done!. :handclap::)

"I've been through the desert on a horse with no name, felt good to get out of the rain..."

I read the report, and I see....well, nothing new for those of us on the boards, though I guess for those people who have a life, an update on the situation...:D

Interesting about the speculation of the NHL getting involved, though what could they do to get GWI off the case through anything other than financial means?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
goyotes said:
Heck, I thought the bonds would be sold by now and the deal would close.

Ironically enough, I got that wrong as well. I anticipated the deal would be closed shortly after the vote of December 14, 2010.

I still believe the deal will be completed and I still do not see Goldwater having a successful Gift Clause challenge. In a league where several teams face financial difficulties, I cannot foresee the league leaving a city when they have a public partner willing to contribute so much to the team. The NHL is certainly not going to get this type of cooperation from the City of Atlanta.

To hedge my position, I went ahead and changed my profile to indicate my favorite food is "crow".

Wpg Jets

Mar 1, 2002
OH! CANADA!!
Visit site
I say push aside all the lawsuits and whether the deal is legal or not, lets just look at the deal. Many will say it's a joke, it won't work etc. But in Winnipeg 15 years ago there were countless number of people who showed up for rallies and offered money out of pocket for grass roots deals to try and save there team, and if we had a mayor like the one in Glendale we would have rejoiced! until we were handed the bill at the end of the party. Thankfully for us we had elected officials that saw not every deal to save a team from moving is a good deal. For the fans of the Coyotes the mayor make make a deal with the devil but I think it's your souls she is selling. And I truly feel badly for the fans and more importantly the non hockey fans who will be handed a bill at the end of this. Winnipeg never fell when the Jets left it's still standing and actually growing, we won't crumble without the return of the coyotes. Whether that means another team moves here next season or we sit by patiently and wait. But we have potential owners that understand the business end of hockey and Aren't taking risks with other people's money.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I can see why Glendale wants to sue Goldwater, and certainly GS2K will make a case that Glendale can win such a suit. But, I don't see how such a suit will help them keep the team, as it will take time to play out (certainly into next season), and I don't think the NHL is willing to wait another season owning the team in Phoenix.

So, from a strategy standpoint of keeping the team, talk of a lawsuit seems extremely desperate and akin to a hail mary play.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
McKenzie on NHL Live today (about 45 minutes ago) believes we are at "nubs end" on this situation. (He had no updates.)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Interesting about the speculation of the NHL getting involved, though what could they do to get GWI off the case through anything other than financial means?

Thanks for the "America" reference. Great song...... I cant imagine what the NHL could possibly do from a financial perspective in order to ameliorate the GWI's concerns & expedite the sale of the Bonds & closing of the deal. IMO, the only party that could create some breathing room would be Hulsizer, re-working the agreement & contributing substantially more money. Like, thats gonna happen?... :shakehead

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

Lawless adds that depending on whose reports you're reading, the NHL could be on the verge of either closing the sale Hulsizer or calling it dead.

"Any announcement, if one is to come at all as a result of a collapsed sale of the Coyotes to Matthew Hulsizer, would be weeks or months away," he stated.

Sure, we've waited almost two years for a resolution, what's a few more months (that will undoubtably turn into a few more months then years....)

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I can see why Glendale wants to sue Goldwater, and certainly GS2K will make a case that Glendale can win such a suit. But, I don't see how such a suit will help them keep the team, as it will take time to play out (certainly into next season), and I don't think the NHL is willing to wait another season owning the team in Phoenix.

Does the league really have a choice at this point? If the Coyotes end up anywhere that's not Phoenix this October, I think it would set a precedent for shortest notice for relocation (though it does seem to be close to the timeline for the NBA Sonics' move to OKC), and they can't stay put without the keys to the franchise still in the league's pocket for some time yet.

Last edited:

WpgJets

Dec 19, 2010

So, from a strategy standpoint of keeping the team, talk of a lawsuit seems extremely desperate and akin to a hail mary play.

I think goldwater will win the suit. Cause at the start of the hulsizer deal COG was violating a court order to provide the Institute documents needed to see if it was legal plus the emails sent to carrie ann sitren by mistake saying to ignore her requests for documents. COG's dragging of their feet with documents and not providing all of them will come back to haunt them.

The NHL will not wait till a lawsuit resolves for the team to be relocated.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Personally I think the NHL will want this resolved one way or the other before the playoffs start. The last thing they want is to have Phoenix win a first round series only to have news of law suits and relocations on the front pages. If they are going to take the publicity hit if/when the Hulsizer deal fails, best to take it before the playoffs when everyone is watching.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Does the league really have a choice at this point? If the Coyotes end up anywhere that's not Phoenix this October, I think it would set a precedent for shortest notice for relocation, and they can't stay put without the keys to the franchise still in the league's pocket for some time yet.

The Nordiques relocation was much later then March. Wasn't til after the season that it was announce I think.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Does the league really have a choice at this point? If the Coyotes end up anywhere that's not Phoenix this October, I think it would set a precedent for shortest notice for relocation, and they can't stay put without the keys to the franchise still in the league's pocket for some time yet.

With what guys like McKenzie and Dregger are reporting, and with even the mayor suggesting time is running out, I think it is clear that the time pressure is coming from the timeline required for relocation. I would be extremely shocked if the NHL spends another year in Phoenix owning the team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Worse Im afraid. Summoning up a Lawsuit at this time is basically just calling in The Cleaners. What Hail Mary when the teams have already left the field & the crowds gone home Egil?. As Ive stated repeatedly, I simply cannot imagine the NHL awaiting disposition on a suit IF one is filed by the COG against GW, wanting nothing to do with it whatsoever. Im sure theirs one Hell of a lot of scrambling & negotiating going on right now between the COG, MH & the NHL in trying to find a remedy, absolutely, but how?.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
If this isn't resolved by regular season's end, and if the Coyotes are still in the playoff hunt, it is only to try and sell playoff tickets. The CoG pledged $25 million for the loses. It now appears the loses will clock in closer to $30 million assuming a continued up-tick in attendance, and that number could come down a bit assuming some home playoff games.

It would be in the NHL's best interest to not pull the plug, although they may not care too much as whatever loses are not covered by the CoG will just be tacked on to the new owners price.

Also, it looks like MH is purchasing the Coyotes for approximately $200 million as this years loses will be covered by him if the deal closes. $200 million for a team Forbes said has a value of approximately $130 million. Makes the CoG contribution almost look reasonable.:sarcasm:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Personally I think the NHL will want this resolved one way or the other before the playoffs start.

I think its either already been decided (dead) or will be within days. I would hope, for the sake of all parties concerned that the NHL make an announcement immediately as opposed to keeping quiet until the playoffs commence & or end should the Coyotes squeak in & possibly do some damage through a round or 2.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Götterdämmerung

Meh on the title - but saved by the clever followup tagline.

Brunhilde+Bugs+Bunny+Fool+Opera.JPG

That horse last made an appearance 18 months ago in BK Part XVIII - maybe this one's a whiter shade of pale.

She said there is no subsidy,
And the truth is plain to see
That I wandered through my lawsuits,
And would not let her be
One of sixteen council virgins
Who's careers are now toast.
And although the Job was open,
It might just as well have been closed.

Although I still preferred the End of Imminence.

fat-lady-singing-warning.jpg

12-08-2008 Hockey in The Desert (Phoenix franchise and finance/business matters)
02-04-2009 Hockey in the Desert II (Phoenix Coyotes franchise and business matters)

05-05-2009 Balsillie puts in $212.5 mil offer for the Coyotes
05-07-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part II
05-18-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part III
05-22-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part IV
06-03-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part V
06-09-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VI
06-12-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VII: I'm just waitin' on a judge
06-16-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VIII: It's dead, Jim
06-24-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part IX: 'Dorf on Hockey
07-25-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part X: The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!
08-03-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XI: A Fistful of Dollars?
08-07-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XII: For a Few Dollars More
08-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIII: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
08-21-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIV: The Wrath of Baum
08-27-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XV - SITREP: SNAFU
09-02-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate
09-08-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVII: Wake Me Up When September Ends
09-10-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVIII: Is that a pale horse in the distance?
09-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy Part XIX: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Baum
09-21-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XX: There Will Be Baum
09-28-2009Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXI: 2009 -- A Sports Odyssey
10-26-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXII: Long and winding road

Followed up by the ever popular:

11-24-2009 Keeping up with potential owners for NHL Phoenix Coyotes (UPD: Ice Edge signs LOI)
03-14-2010 Part II. Potential owners of NHL's Phoenix Coyotes
03-26-2010 Part III. Prospective Owners - Phoenix Coyotes (UPD Lease vote 4/13; IEH signs MOU)
04-10-2010 Part IV Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy; UPD COG approves Reinsdorf MOU, not IEH MOU
05-02-2010 Part V Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy UPD Reinsdorf out? IEH back in? else Winnipeg?
05-11-2010 Part VI Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy
05-23-2010 Part VII Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-22-2010 Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input
07-26-2010 Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis
08-27-2010 Part XI: Phoenix Coyotes -- Greetings, Starfighter, You have been selected ...
09-16-2010 Part XII: Phx Coyotes - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
10-12-2010 Part XIII: Phoenix Coyotes - The Final Cut?
10-27-2010 Part XIV: Phoenix Coyotes - To Infinity And Beyond....
12-05-2010 Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore
12-14-2010 Part XVI: Phoenix -- Money for Nothing
12-20-2010 Part XVII: Phoenix -- Thread Title Available For Lease
01-09-2011 Part XVIII: Phoenix -- Imminence Front
01-24-2011 Phoenix XIXth: Nervous Breakdown
02-02-2011 Phoenix XX: Two weeks
02-11-2011 Phoenix XXI: When will then be now?
02-22-2011 Phoenix XXII: It's Now or Never
02-28-2011 Phoenix XXIII - Bond: The Phoenix Project
03-03-2011 Phoenix XXIV: How many twists does the scriptwriter have left?
03-07-2011 Phoenix XXV: Anyone in the theatre seen a pale horse?

Last edited:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
On a related question - if the City pays out the $25M to cover this year's losses to either the NHL or to Hulsizer (after completion) - wouldn't that be a clear and obvious violation of the AZ constitution gift clause?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad