Phoenix XXV: Anyone in the theatre seen a pale horse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont
In an interview with the NHL Network on Tuesday, Bettman said the clock is ticking.

"We're hanging in there, our commitment is as strong as ever, but time is running out, and if something doesn't happen, we're going to be close to the end," Bettman said in an interview with the NHL Network on Tuesday night. "The bonds need to get sold; it's as simple as that."

However, Bettman would not give a specific timetable on the sale.

"That would just be an invitation for the Goldwater Institute to tough it out. We're going to hang in there as long as possible, but our time is not infinite, and at some point we're going to have to start exploring our alternatives."

So they didn't set a deadline because of GWI. Hmm. I guess they'll try to put the squeeze on GWI until there's no more juice left to squeeze from the orange. :naughty:

"Based on what we have been told by the bond underwriters, the market for these bonds -- solely because of the Goldwater threat -- has been impacted," Bettman said.

So if GWI didn't exist I guess the Coyotes deal would've been signed in December? Approved in February. Sure.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6195635

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Commissioner 1993-02-01.
MIN->DAL 1993
QUE->COL 1995
WPG->PHX 1996
HFD->CAR 1997

Do some deeper research.

Like, figure out why each individual team relocated.

Or just wait for someone with a little more motivation (aka not me) to explain it.

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
Do some deeper research.

Like, figure out why each individual team relocated.

Or just wait for someone with a little more motivation (aka not me) to explain it.

No explanations required. I was alive & kicking in 1993.

Hank's statement was "on his watch". They were on his watch. Your short statement sounded like you were challenging that fact.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
From what I can tell, there's really only one more move the NHL/COG/MH can make to advance this deal forward: issue the bonds at 9% interest regardless of the backlash and subsequent lawsuit from GWI.

Anyone think they'll take that step?

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
So... What do we expect tomorrow? Has Bettman/Daly flown back tonight? Which side will cave to the negotiating terms?

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
From what I can tell, there's really only one more move the NHL/COG/MH can make to advance this deal forward: issue the bonds at 9% interest regardless of the backlash and subsequent lawsuit from GWI.

Anyone think they'll take that step.

I don't think so. The NHL will not want to revisit this next year if GWI prevails.

If COG were to sell the bonds and the MH bought the team with, GWI sues and wins in a year or two, what would be the repercussions? Would MH be able to claim damages against the league for selling a property that had a chance of failing? Would MH be required to pay back the $$ back to the city?

I'm just curious what risks MH/the NHL are taking should GWI prevail in a lawsuit.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC

Even then, will the bonds sell? Bettman basically acknowledged that GI is succeeding in derailing the bond sale.

Perhaps there is a yet a role to play for IEH - will they buy $100 million worth of bonds?

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

Gotta think that Glendale would've tried this already, if that were possible. So the council won't commit to the extra $100 million or whatever the higher rate will cost. That of course means that somebody's flipped his/her vote, which isn't a big surprise given the 4-3 split already. Or there is no interest in the bonds even at the higher rate.

That 4-3 split is really telling when it comes to Bettman's incredibly smarmy comments tonight. He's acting like everyone on the planet thinks this is a great deal save the grandstanding game-players at Goldwater. Uh, Gary, three of the seven people on Glendale City Council think the deal sucks, too.

dobiezeke*

Even then, will the bonds sell? Bettman basically acknowledged that GI is succeeding in derailing the bond sale.

Perhaps there is a yet a role to play for IEH - will they buy $100 million worth of bonds?

I guess if IEH gives up there supposed attempt at a team in Thunder Bay they may have some loose change lying around:sarcasm:

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
if nothing changes over the next few days, and it doesnt look like it will...i can see an announcement next monday....GWI clearly wont budge..Hulsizer isnt willing to give more money...NHL isnt willing to lower asking price...investors arent interested in the bonds....glendale cant give anymore.....the only possible thing that can happen is if glendale asks a judge to rule on the legality of the deal....otherwise its over....train has derailed.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
If the NHL is forced to relocate the team, I suspect they'll make two separate announcements:

1) A Friday announcement in Glendale where they say they did everything they could, but GWI effectively killed the deal and the team will now have to move

2) A Monday announcement in Winnipeg with Chipman and Thomson announcing the return of the Jets.

Given that there's a BOG meeting next week, I could see the announcements going down the Friday/Monday afterwards.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

No, I dont think they will. The COG, Hulsizer & the NHL are all pointing their fingers at the GWI, Hulsizer apparently the only one of them wlling to have a public meeting, and not surprisingly as he's the one with the most to gain. Glendale still seems to be frozen in their tracks; Bettman & Dalys' jaunt down to Phoenix little more than an exercise in finger-pointing; a forerunner to whats surely going to follow. Scruggs has a Town Hall Meeting next Wednesday thats SRO with apparently a fair contingent from the Tea Party in attendance; they'll keep working on trying to soften up the GWI but; "time is not infinite". Alcohol has the patience of infinity when it comes to stupidity, but dont expect it from the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad