Phoenix XLIV: Ignorance & Apathy (or I Doan't Know & I Doan't Care)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Phil Liberman for Glendale mayor 2012? One can dream

None of the AZ posters ever comment on how this guy got elected. Everyone seems to feel he is incompetent but he has somehow obtained a great deal of say and power in Glendale. I would love to know how?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
None of the AZ posters ever comment on how this guy got elected. Everyone seems to feel he is incompetent but he has somehow obtained a great deal of say and power in Glendale. I would love to know how?

They actually have voiced opinions on Cactus Phil... sort of a cross between Hurricane Hazel of Mississauga & Bad Boy Mel Lastman, only instead of being a target in the Mayors seat he dodges full responsibility as a "mere" Council Member. Easier to apportion blame that way... ducking full responsibilty if & when things go off the rails. "Boy if I was in charge around here" post nuclear explosion type personality.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

They actually have voiced opinions on Cactus Phil... sort of a cross between Hurricane Hazel of Mississauga & Bad Boy Mel Lastman, only instead of being a target in the Mayors seat he dodges full responsibility as a "mere" Council Member. Easier to apportion blame that way... ducking full responsibilty if & when things go off the rails.

I can just see it now... His commercial to get re-elected... "Who's better than Phil Lieberman on City Council??? NOOOOOOBODY!!!!"

:)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I can just see it now... His commercial to get re-elected... "Who's better than Phil Lieberman on City Council??? NOOOOOOBODY!!!!"

:)

Hah. Pretty much. I think hes like 83 or somthin. About Mels age when his illigitamate 40yr old sons came a knockin much to the chagrin of his wife of 50+ years & Grandkids Im sure. Whos been a Bad Boy Mighty Mouth?. Never trust a man who wears a Toupee' Kevy.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I hate to be the one to bring this up but i am betting we see and end to this this summer for one reason the CBA.

Unless i am mistaken money such as the 60mil relocation fee that TNSE paid is not considered part of hockey revenues so it doesn't have to be shared with the players. I bet in the new CBA that relocation fees and expansion fees (for when the league goes to 32 teams) will be part of the new CBA.

Moving the Coyotes this off season would get the owners at least some funds should we get into another lockout like most of us expect

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I hate to be the one to bring this up but i am betting we see and end to this this summer for one reason the CBA.

Unless i am mistaken money such as the 60mil relocation fee that TNSE paid is not considered part of hockey revenues so it doesn't have to be shared with the players. I bet in the new CBA that relocation fees and expansion fees (for when the league goes to 32 teams) will be part of the new CBA.

Moving the Coyotes this off season would get the owners at least some funds should we get into another lockout like most of us expect

Good point. I never thought about that. So... Under the current CBA the relocation fee is not shared? Wasn't there a fight about the Winnipeg fee? Again, my memory is not good.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I bet in the new CBA that relocation fees and expansion fees (for when the league goes to 32 teams) will be part of the new CBA.

Thats an interesting suggestion, and one the owners would absolutely refuse to accept Im sure. Interestingly, the PA retained Balsillies "Legal Architect" Richard Rodier as a Consultant some time ago. Im wondering if your suggestion amongst others wont be tabled. Could be a long winter of discontent...

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Once in a while, I will question why this particular matter has become such an enjoyable hobby for me. Then I come across things like this email thread...

Anthony LeBlanc and Lakehead Yale Sports back in the game :sarcasm:

Disclaimer: I did not obtain this document directly. A colleague forwarded it to me. I have no doubt that it is authentic. Darcie McCracken, whose name appears at the top of the document, is the Glendale public records clerk.

Last edited:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Good point. I never thought about that. So... Under the current CBA the relocation fee is not shared? Wasn't there a fight about the Winnipeg fee? Again, my memory is not good.

Relocation or expansion fees are not part of HRR, per 50.1(b)(ii):

(b) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Section 50.1(a) above, HRR shall not include the following non-exhaustive list of revenues:

(i) (...);
(ii) Revenues from the relocation or sale of any existing Club (or any interest therein) or the grant of any new franchise;

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Once in a while, I will question why this particular matter has become such an enjoyable hobby for me. Then I come across things like this email thread...

Disclaimer: I did not obtain this document directly. A colleague forwarded it to me. I have no doubt that it is authentic. Darcie McCracken, whose name appears at the top of the document, is the Glendale public records clerk.

What does it all mean?

Last edited by a moderator:

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007

Interesting, you should've kept it for the beginning of the new thread :)

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
What does it mean?

It means that Anthony LeBlanc (formerly of Ice Edge Holdings) has a sports management company "Lakehead Yale Sports Holdings, LLC" and Anthony sent Glendale an unsolicited offer to put a minor league franchise into Jobing.com arena after the Coyotes leave. LeBlanc asserts that he has spoke to the NHL and they approved his pursuit of a minor league deal in Glendale.

Ed Beasley, City Manager of Glendale, responds that the NHL advised him that the league has no knowledge of LeBlanc's plan and do not support it.

Mayor Scruggs asks Beasley to clarify the discrepancy.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

:laugh: Because when a business partner proves himself to be completely incompetent, the best thing to do is rekindle a conversation with him.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It means that Anthony LeBlanc (formerly of Ice Edge Holdings) has a sports management company "Lakehead Yale Sports Holdings, LLC" and Anthony sent Glendale an unsolicited offer to put a minor league franchise into Jobing.com arena after the Coyotes leave. LeBlanc asserts that he has spoke to the NHL and they approved his pursuit of a minor league deal in Glendale.

Ed Beasley, City Manager of Glendale, responds that the NHL advised him that the league has no knowledge of LeBlanc's plan and do not support it.

Thanks CF.

(Forgive one) Last (stupid) question...

Does this mean the Coyotes are more likely to leave, less likely, or is it just more smoke and mirrors (see lies) to try and see thru?

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Thanks CF.

(Forgive one) Last (stupid) question...

Does this mean the Coyotes are more likely to leave, less likely, or is it just more smoke and mirrors (see lies) to try and see thru?

Any answer to that is speculative and reflects only personal opinion.

It's certainly not smoke and mirrors in the sense that LeBlanc sent an offer that he claimed the NHL supported and Daly said Anthony misinterpreted the NHL's position on his offer to Glendale.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The absolute avoidance of anyone saying anything that someone else agrees to is mind-blowing. No wonder the NHL, the Mayor, the council, Beasley, potential buyers... will never come to an agreement.

Someone says such and such is happening and the other parties all deny it.

Why do I get the feeling that somewhere in Glendale someone about to retire is stuffing suitcases full of money and shreading documents.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

This is absolute gold. If LeBlanc misrepresented what Daly had told him about "Plan B", then it takes IEH to an absolutely new level of breathtaking incompetence and their exaggerated sense of entitlement.

By the way, does it strike anyone else as odd that Beasley can't even spell Daly's name, even though they have been negotiating on and off for over three years? It seems that he went to the same spelling and grammar school as Hulsizer.

I guess that the Coyotes fans would be a tad less positive than they were initially about the IEH gang once they find out that they are pushing hard for "Plan B".

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
If the Coyotes stays does it mean the city will have to give the NHL another 25 million to cover the losses? If so shouldn't it be crucial to leave instead of continue this fiasco for another year? If I was a citizen from the city I would be pretty mad if the city would throw 25 million just like that to keep a team that may not be back anyway down the line.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

This is awesome.

:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad