Phoenix XLIV: Ignorance & Apathy (or I Doan't Know & I Doan't Care)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Well, it's about that time I guess ...

It's very clear
This thread is here to stay ;
Not for a year
But ever and a day.

The radio and the telephone
And the movies that we know
May just be passing fancies,
And in time may go !

But, oh my dear,
This thread is here to stay.
Together we're
Going a long, long way

In time the Rockies may crumble,
Gibraltar may tumble,
They're only made of clay,
But this thread is here to stay.

12-08-2008 Hockey in The Desert (Phoenix franchise and finance/business matters)
02-04-2009 Hockey in the Desert II (Phoenix Coyotes franchise and business matters)

05-05-2009 Balsillie puts in $212.5 mil offer for the Coyotes
05-07-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part II
05-18-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part III
05-22-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part IV
06-03-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix part V
06-09-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VI
06-12-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VII: I'm just waitin' on a judge
06-16-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part VIII: It's dead, Jim
06-24-2009 Balsillie/Phoenix Part IX: 'Dorf on Hockey
07-25-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part X: The Truth? You Can't Handle The Truth!
08-03-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XI: A Fistful of Dollars?
08-07-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XII: For a Few Dollars More
08-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIII: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
08-21-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XIV: The Wrath of Baum
08-27-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XV - SITREP: SNAFU
09-02-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVI: Barbarian at the Gate
09-08-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVII: Wake Me Up When September Ends
09-10-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy/ownership Part XVIII: Is that a pale horse in the distance?
09-12-2009 Phoenix bankruptcy Part XIX: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Baum
09-21-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XX: There Will Be Baum
09-28-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXI: 2009 -- A Sports Odyssey
10-26-2009 Phoenix Bankruptcy Part XXII: Long and winding road

11-24-2009 Keeping up with potential owners for NHL Phoenix Coyotes (UPD: Ice Edge signs LOI)
03-14-2010 Part II. Potential owners of NHL's Phoenix Coyotes
03-26-2010 Part III. Prospective Owners - Phoenix Coyotes (UPD Lease vote 4/13; IEH signs MOU)
04-10-2010 Part IV Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy; UPD COG approves Reinsdorf MOU, not IEH MOU
05-02-2010 Part V Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy UPD Reinsdorf out? IEH back in? else Winnipeg?
05-11-2010 Part VI Phoenix Coyotes post bankruptcy
05-23-2010 Part VII Phoenix Coyotes post bankrtuptcy
06-07-2010 Part VIII: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankrtuptcy
06-22-2010 Part IX: Phoenix Coyotes Post-bankruptcy UPD: Pres Moss fired 6/30 with IEH input
07-26-2010 Part X: Phoenix Coyotes - Between Scylla and Charybdis
08-27-2010 Part XI: Phoenix Coyotes -- Greetings, Starfighter, You have been selected ...
09-16-2010 Part XII: Phx Coyotes - Still haven't found what I'm looking for
10-12-2010 Part XIII: Phoenix Coyotes - The Final Cut?
10-27-2010 Part XIV: Phoenix Coyotes - To Infinity And Beyond....
12-05-2010 Part XV: Phoenix - the battle of evermore
12-14-2010 Part XVI: Phoenix -- Money for Nothing
12-20-2010 Part XVII: Phoenix -- Thread Title Available For Lease
01-09-2011 Part XVIII: Phoenix -- Imminence Front
01-24-2011 Phoenix XIXth: Nervous Breakdown
02-02-2011 Phoenix XX: Two weeks
02-11-2011 Phoenix XXI: When will then be now?
02-22-2011 Phoenix XXII: It's Now or Never
02-28-2011 Phoenix XXIII - Bond: The Phoenix Project
03-03-2011 Phoenix XXIV: How many twists does the scriptwriter have left?
03-07-2011 Phoenix XXV: Anyone in the theatre seen a pale horse?
03-08-2011 Phoenix XXVI: Pain in the AZ
03-11-2011 Phoenix XXVII: Can we all get along?
03-16-2011 Phoenix XXVIII: Lawyers, Bonds and Money
03-20-2011 Phoenix XXIX: What's the next act? I'm tired of the dog & pony show
03-22-2011 Phoenix Part XXX Hulz, you gotta get a gimmick if you want to get ahead
03-27-2011 Phoenix Part XXXI: I feel I'm in a time loop
04-05-2011 Phoenix Part XXXII: Bridge over Troubled Goldwater
04-14-2011 Phoenix XXXIII: Sound of Silence
04-20-2011 Phoenix XXXIV: Project Mayhem
04-25-2011 Phoenix XXXV: Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave...
05-03-2011 Phoenix XXXVI - There's got to be a morning after
05-10-2011 Phoenix XXXVII - The Heat is On

Followed by the Interregnum between Kings Phoenix the XXXVII-th and Phoenix the XXXVIII-th:

[PYTHON]
The most interesting thing about King Charles, the first
Is that he was 5 foot 6 inches tall at the start of his reign
But only 4 foot 8 inches tall at the end of it because of
Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England Puritan
Born in 1599 and died in 1658 September
[/PYTHON]

06-09-2011 ESPN's Burnside: Hulsizer submitted new deal; COG city manager dragging it out
06-20-2011 Coyotes related: Westgate faces foreclosure
06-21-2011 Phoenix, worst case scenario

Finally, the realm was restored ...

06-27-2011 Phoenix XXXVIII: Hulsizer Pulls Bid For Coyotes
08-16-2011 Phoenix XXXIX: You Never Give Me Your Money
10-18-2011 Phoenix XL: Rich Man's World
12-07-2011 Phoenix XLI: Bongo Fury
01-06-2012 Phoenix XLII: The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything
02-02-2012 Phoenix XLIII: How to Bake Cupcakes in Less Than Two Weeks
02-28-2012 Phoenix XLIV: Ignorance & Apathy (or I Doan't know & I Doan't Care)

A couple if Phoenix uThreads have popped up in the wake of the "To close, or not to close" mega-thread discussion:

03-16-2012 COG to spend more on Coyotes than public safety?
03-22-2012 Dreger (3/22): NHL to investigate "plan b" for Phoenix
03-23-2012 Sunnicks strikes again "will they stay or will they go now?"

Last edited:

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Tremendous thread title, KDB. My vote was for, "some serious posters making serious posts" but this was outstanding. I love that Bobby Bowden quote.

CoG = ignorance and NHL = apathy (at least in their public posturing).

Amazing how a couple of baseless rumors in AZ Central can lead to several hundred posts in no time.

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
clearly...this Thread(s) is now on cycle 2.

--Smaller Canadian city trying to justify the loss of a team years ago and why they now deserve one back
--Comparing attendance in the 80's early 90's when arenas were all pretty much 14000, to today when 18K is the norm (you can't quote attendance fairly in cities in 1990 to compare to today, the game and fan base have grown.....hence the revenue increases.....this is a straw man argument at best)
---Sunnocks knows as little today as he did 1 year ago (really almost looks like he just reprints columns but changes a few names)
---Internet folk(wtf is his name? Zorn?) that suddenly think Coyotes Hockey LLC on the COG agenda is news...clearly have not been following along and have no idea that this has been there for 2 years....Yet they act like it is news and a step toward a new owner. It's nothing
---The COG having any real clue what the hell they are involved in, is beyond comprehension, they have never been in the loop or even on the same page......ever...not once
---Trust GB to be straightforward? Ask Ouebec or Winnipeg in the 90's.....the man has a gift for oral manipulation....and not the kind that satisfies.....you ain't ever gonna get your money's worth from any act he performs.
---anyone thinking that today, yesterday or ever that the COG has a legal leg to stand on, on anything regarding any of their sports investments.
---That Westgate means anything to the hockey team or provides any added value or arena traffic....Outlet mall or not....(tell me how that helps a hockey team....people bargain hunting for designer *&^% at 60% off regular retail...do not pay League average prices for tickets)
---That Roc and Mauch know anymore than Hustler and Lawless about whats really going on.
---That some friend of a rich guy really knows anything that Gary Bettman is thinking...for real
---and finally, for the what????.....the 16th year in a row.......that any owner of this team in it's present location....can make any money....ever.....I mean in forever....wait...that should be never.

The ONLY chance for Hockey to succeed in this market is by leaving this market. Maybe after a few years the same kind of passion seen in Quebec and Winnipeg will entice a very rich person to invest in this market again. IF I EVER see 10,000 or more fans at a rally to bring the NHL to this market in the future.....I will believe that it could succeed. Then it will be clear that the fans understood what they had and lost.

There is simply not enough "I give a damn support" to ensure anything more than a year or 2 until we are back at this same juncture. A new owner will quickly become the new reason for failure of the market.

---Apologies to my Nordique friends......but the end result of this saga will be the first documented instance of "Kiss a Frog and your Dreams will come True".....at least for one city.....

It's over....gawd...call the vet.....there is only hope......to prolong the inevitable......the right thing needs to be done.....put this Dog down.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
^^^^^

Two other reasons I forgot to mention...

1) The BOG's feel a new CBA may allow the Coyotes to survive financially;
2) Canadian expansion money (Q.C. + Toronto 2 - which would be far north [pun intended] of anything they could get for Seattle or for a team returning to Phoenix) is making the owners drool.

I've got to stop you at point one. There is still NO OWNER.

Even if the new CBA might allow the Coyotes not to crash and burn, they wont allow another year of NHL ownership if they have a single brain-cell.

I know I said it last year, but with the city of Glendale having seemingly given up; there's only two possibilities now: A sale to a new local owner or Québec (or Seattle, if they can somehow get the financing on time, something highly unlikely)!

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
Personally, I think that a sale to a group led by Les Alexander, and a move to Houston would be better.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Personally, I think that a sale to a group led by Les Alexander, and a move to Houston would be better.

Pretty sure he's not interested anymore, so not really a chance for the Yotes this time around. It's between QC as the prohibitive favorites and Seattle as the longshot at this point in time if the Yotes do relocate.

Eaglepride*

Not to disrespect the loyal Coyotes fans but at this point safe for a miracle there aren't any options.

Like someone mentioned either sell the team to a market, hungry for the return of a former club OR risk another Atlanta/Phoenix situation by selling them to an owner who only wants them as a by product to get his NBA arena.

If the BOG is smart after all of this they should go the QC route here. Nordique fans might as well start searching for their old jerseys soon they will need it.

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca

Seriously, If Alexander had been interested in an NHL franchise for Houston you can be sure that that's where the Thrashers would have landed last summer. And I bet Gary would have not asked for his pound of flesh.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I thought a big announcement was expected. The Yotes are back in town.

Ah. I forgot, the timetable always changes.

In all honesty towards Coyotes fans and people elsewhere, the league should state what's happening. You cannot give a couple months to someone to organize a prohockey team.

Show your cards or leave, show respect to hockey fans. State what's happening, ESPECIALLY if they stay. Show respect to people of Glendale. Time to state your devoted fans what is going on.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I In all honesty towards Coyotes fans and people elsewhere, the league should state what's happening. You cannot give a couple months to someone to organize a prohockey team.

Show your cards or leave, show respect to hockey fans. State what's happening

I have to disagree QcB...

Other than the fans in Glendale and a few Canadians who follow this, the Coyotes (and the NHL's franchise problems) are off the radar. Why draw attention to a negative situation?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
I just realized part XIV title was: To infinity and beyond. This was oct 2010!

The funniest one is probably Pain in the AZ, clever fun.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Other than the fans in Glendale and a few Canadians who follow this, the Coyotes (and the NHL's franchise problems) are off the radar. Why draw attention to a negative situation?

This is true, hardly anybody I talk to know or cares what's happening in Phoenix. In the Balsillie era there was a lot of talk but not now.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc

No, I mean, if there is a positive solution, I think its time to state it.

Comes a time you must tell people whats happening. I agree, if its positive, like I mentionned, its appropriate.

Scottrocks58*

Season ticket renewal invoices just went out. The 300 are looking forward to continued playoff runs.

Northender

Feb 11, 2012
No, I mean, if there is a positive solution, I think its time to state it.

Comes a time you must tell people whats happening. I agree, if its positive, like I mentionned, its appropriate.

Ain't happening, GB will be Fort Knox until after the playoffs my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad