Phoenix XC: Down to the Weiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
True - and the tweet said "expect ample discussion before the vote". This is Bettman and Daly putting one last, very serious push in getting a deal done to keep the team in Glendale and they have cover either way:

Phoenix Stays - We flew in and saved the day
Phoenix Relocates - We flew in and did everything we possibly could but Glendale wouldn't cooperate.
And if they do announce a relocation to Seattle tomorrow well that flight was not a waste of fuel, money and time after all. In fact I be more impressed if they do fly back East. They could really say they tried one last time but did not just stop in Glendale for another half-assed effort on their way.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So we're once again about to witness a vote to save the Coyotes tonight.

How many have there been since this saga began?

1) MOU to Reinsdorff Spring 2010. Vote - Yes
2) MOU to Ice Edge. Spring 2010 Vote - Yes
3) Insurance Policy to NHL @ 25M. Spring 2010. Vote - Yes
4) Lease for Hulsizer. Fall/Winter 2010. Vote - Yes
5) Insurance Policy #2 to NHL @ 25M ish. Spring 2011. Vote - Yes
6) First Lease to Jamison. Summer 2012. Vote - Yes
7) Second Lease to Jamison. Fall 2012. Vote - Yes

Am I missing any?

Current record shows yes vote records at 7 - 0. A vote yes tonight and this will start to rival the Undertaker's Westlemania streak. :)

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He shouldn't be challenging the NHL like that. Today is the end I think that's clear.

Yeah I can see Bettman's opening statement to the CoG:

"OK, OK, forget what has gone on in the past..this time I really mean it. Cave again, or I'll .... well, I don't really know what I'll do, but I'll do something "

You must be new to this saga.

:)

By the way, does anyone remember which poster did the first flight tracking?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
So we're once again about to witness a vote to save the Coyotes tonight.

How many have there been since this saga began?

1) MOU to Reinsdorff Spring 2010. Vote - Yes
2) MOU to Ice Edge. Spring 2010 Vote - Yes
3) Insurance Policy to NHL @ 25M. Spring 2010. Vote - Yes
4) Lease for Hulsizer. Fall/Winter 2010. Vote - Yes
5) Insurance Policy #2 to NHL @ 25M ish. Spring 2011. Vote - Yes
6) First Lease to Jamison. Summer 2012. Vote - Yes
7) Second Lease to Jamison. Fall 2012. Vote - Yes

Am I missing any?

Current record shows yes vote records at 7 - 0. A vote yes tonight and this will start to rival the Undertaker's Westlemania streak. :)
It is the genius of the mayor counter offer. Knowing his council would likely cave in again and vote for the last RSE offer he put his own counter offer that full of poison pill instead! They will vote for the Coyotes to "stay" but really it the closest thing this city will ever come to kick them out of town.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
:)

By the way, does anyone remember which poster did the first flight tracking?

I think it was Ranold, he's good with that sort of thing. Back in the day when the Samsonov trade rumors were swirling, he debunked a trade rumor because Sammy couldn't have flown from the city where the Bs were playing to the purported recipient of his services.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
It is the genius of the mayor counter offer. Knowing his council would likely cave in again and vote for the last RSE offer he put his own counter offer that full of poison pill instead! They will vote for the Coyotes to "stay" but really it the closest thing this city will ever come to kick them out of town.

This assumes they'll vote on the counterproposal you've seen, and not on a "poisonless" version of it. That assumption can certainly be challenged.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

They can't change agreement to add stuff or remove stuff and vote the same time.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Bowers and DiPiazza have looked competent so far; if the clause is changed to exclude debt service, RSE's clause would also have to be changed to define "team operating losses" more precisely. So either 2 changes, or none. That's assuming the city's out clause stays there at all.

Defining "eligible" expenses when defining the financial losses for the "out clause" could be a rather interesting exercise. If it includes a wide enough range of Coyotes-related expenses, then this is essentially a "blank cheque" for RSE to pursue relocation / resale options in five years. So, if the COG is conducting its due diligence, it will ensure that the RSE out clause does not allow them to game the system, so that any relocation option is based on a legitimate effort to retain the team in Glendale. For example, if the eligible expenses include player salaries, the RSE group could simply boost payroll in the final year or two by signing top free agents and trigger their relocation, taking their newly signed players with them. If it looks like a lucrative market like Markham, QC or Seattle is opening up, it would be very tempting for the RSE group to try to manipulate their deficits to trigger the "out clause".

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So Glendale is voting on RSE's version of the deal? Has RSE given a response to Glendale's counter yet?

No they are voting on the counter proposal. So far RSE calls the counter proposal a non starter with the city out clause and there was no amendments yesterday.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
They can't change agreement and vote the same time.

According to CM Sherwood, they can amend the agreement and vote on the changed agreement today. I don't profess to be an expert on the legalities of municipal government, but what is coming out of the CoG would not be consistent with your statement.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
According to CM Sherwood, they can amend the agreement and vote on the changed agreement today. I don't profess to be an expert on the legalities of municipal government, but what is coming out of the CoG would not be consistent with your statement.

No they can not. They can make tweats to clear things up but they can not add amendments to it to add or remove stuff with out a 24 hour notice. People have a right to see what is exactly being changed. They can not remove a major section then vote on the same day. That is illegal.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site

I personally would take anything Sherwood says with a grain of salt. He was trumpeting a "deal in principal" over 2 weeks ago and has been the lead cheerleader while all along it has been Mayor Weiers that is really in charge based on the actual events the council has taken.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
The level of confusion regarding this vote seems on par with the level of confusion regarding NHL management of this franchise for the last 4 years. :laugh:

So the vote is a few hours away, the commish and his trained puppet are on their way, no one knows what they are gonna vote on. Marvelous!

My avatar makes more sense by the day. Mismanagement from beginning to end.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
No they are voting on the counter proposal. So far RSE calls the counter proposal a non starter with the city out clause and there was no amendments yesterday.

So Glendale is voting on RSE's version of the deal? Has RSE given a response to Glendale's counter yet?

Original RSE proposal...
CoG reworked on Friday proposal...
A new proposal done up over the weekend under duress...

At this point, it would be safe to say we don't have a clue what they are actually voting on.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Original RSE proposal...

At this point, it would be safe to say we don't have a clue what they are actually voting on.

I would argue that nobody, even Weiers, RSE, Bettman and Daly, along with the posters on this board, have ever had a clue what is actually going on.

I don't think I'd be wrong.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Original RSE proposal...

Yes we do what they are voting on is the agreement as of 6/28/13 with that out clause in it. Any future changes after the 28 would require amendments which did not happen yesterday.

The agenda for today has a link to the agreement and it was dated like i said 6/28/13.

maruk14

Jun 24, 2002
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Original RSE proposal...

I think its safe to say as of right now they can only vote on the counter proposal they posted on Friday due to 72 hour notice and open meeting laws (unless I am seriously misunderstanding something).

Now - that doesn't mean they couldn't say they have been making progress on a revised deal, the NHL has granted them a bit more time and they are going to vote on a revised proposal in a few days (or next week) but if they vote tonight I think its on their counter only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad