Phoenix LXXXVIII: The Final Cupcake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The only way this doesn't pass is if the council members have to use their own property as collateral in the event that revenues do not meet projections.

CF, I appreciate you lots, sir. However,I do see the possibility that Weiers and Bowers use their voices this afternoon in such a way as to point out all the problems here. If they can make the dialogue to be about the risk to the city, where there is little to RSE, then it could fail.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Perhaps. The folks who will support this deal will not argue it is a great deal for the City. I think, for them, it comes down to the danger you know may be less than the danger you can't predict. There is concern, justified or not, that if the Coyotes leave the arena. Westgate and the City will suffer greater handship. As with many financial projections, an argument can be made for and against that concern.

You hit the nail right on the head, and I've had this thought too: IF the vote is yea on Tuesday, it's because of the "devil you know vs devil you don't", not because "its a good deal".

I think all council members will be doing some serious soul searching on the weekend-and as someone pointed out-this guarantees nothing, because RSE may not be able to come up with funding. Tuesday will give us some insight anyway.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
CD, I appreciate you lots, sir. However,I do see the possibility that Weiers and Bowers use their voices this afternoon in such a way as to point out all the problems here. If they can make the dialogue to be about the risk to the city, where there is little to RSE, then it could fail.

I agree and think minds are not made up for 3 of 7 and could be swayed.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The only way this doesn't pass is if the council members have to use their own property as collateral in the event that revenues do not meet projections.

We need to be able to use our vcash and bet on this.

I always held out a small chance we would see the CoG cave to RSE.... Looking like it might just go down that way.

Mayor - No
Norma - No

City Manager - No, but financial advise role only

Everyone else - Give 'em the farm? We will see.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Care to make a bead bet on that CF?

If they can get it out of workshop and past the technicalities in Recitals J & K, then yes, I think it's a lock to pass. It would contradict essentially every other sports funding vote, anywhere, ever for it not to.

*Where 'they' = Sherwood

Last edited:

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

Why do you think that? It's clearly a terrible deal for the city. And it seems like it only has two guaranteed yea votes with Sherwood and Knaack. Looks like a 4-3 or 5-2 loser unless one or two flip. Hard to see that, though. If votes were solid in favour, this would have been put forward a long time ago. The July 2 vote seems like it's just an effort to just get the whole thing over with once and for all.

Biggest pressure here won't be coming from NHL or RSE. They don't live in Glendale and don't vote there. Biggest pressure will be internal from unions, who are organized and will clearly be the biggest losers if the Coyotes are given this huge subsidy. I'd imagine that they are all over the entire council right now.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Well, if we're all putting down bets, it would be cowardly at this point to go against my prediction of at least one more year in Glendale, so I won't.

Whether it's because of a yes vote, or whatever it is-I will stick with my prediction to the bitter end, so technically speaking a "yes" vote helps that prediction ;)

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
Jamison's deal was very similar at 15mm AMF and they voted in favor. But whats the chance that a similar deal get voted in favor in the same city with a different CC? I dont think anyone can tell whats going to happen but it would be crazy if this happen twice.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Jamison's deal was very similar at 15mm AMF and they voted in favor. But whats the chance that a similar deal get voted in favor in the same city with a different CC? I dont think anyone can tell whats going to happen but it would be crazy if this happen twice.

If it happens again, it will interesting because this new council has talked optically about fiscal responsibility and how the economics have to be taken into consideration-optically if they vote for this (and they may) then there's going to have to be an explanation how this is "fiscally responsible" on an optics level I would think.

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor
Why do you think that? It's clearly a terrible deal for the city. And it seems like it only has two guaranteed yea votes with Sherwood and Knaack. Looks like a 4-3 or 5-2 loser unless one or two flip. Hard to see that, though. If votes were solid in favour, this would have been put forward a long time ago. The July 2 vote seems like it's just an effort to just get the whole thing over with once and for all.

Biggest pressure here won't be coming from NHL or RSE. They don't live in Glendale and don't vote there. Biggest pressure will be internal from unions, who are organized and will clearly be the biggest losers if the Coyotes are given this huge subsidy. I'd imagine that they are all over the entire council right now.

Wheres the unions at? we havent seen or read anything about them so far

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Key differences are Jamison's deal didn't have an out after 5 years, RSE deal has an out but provides more revenue streams back to the city. But with a new council wo knows what will happen. IF its passed and IF they can then go on to close, I see no way they don't relocate after the 5 years

SuicideCamel

Jun 28, 2013
Southern Maine
Off topic, but just wanted to pop in really quickly and thank everyone for the last few years (yes years) of discussions and breaking "news" (stuff?) as I've been lurking these threads since at least the summer of 2011.

That being said, I can't wait to see what happens on Tuesday, though deep in my heart I feel like I will only feel disappointment. Again :laugh:

NickWIHockey

Jan 3, 2013
Port Washington, WI
if this council is at all serious about being fiscally reasonable, then this deal gets shot down. They dont have the money for this, if they approve it, look for moodys to junk their credit rating post-haste.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Off topic, but just wanted to pop in really quickly and thank everyone for the last few years (yes years) of discussions and breaking "news" (stuff?) as I've been lurking these threads since at least the summer of 2011.

That being said, I can't wait to see what happens on Tuesday, though deep in my heart I feel like I will only feel disappointment. Again :laugh:

People are going to be disappointed regardless of the out come rather it be coyote fans quebec fans or seattle fans. Nothing worse than putting your hopes on something that is out of your control.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
We're already 995

If theres a vote..

PHX LXXXIX: Tuesday, bloody tuesday

http://youtu.be/EM4vblG6BVQ

If there's not?

PHX LXXXIX: Veni, vidi, vici

L296xH501_cesar-a6d98.png

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

as opposed to the union jobs and workers who depend on the Coyotes games for income? Sort of a double edged sword here. Residents of Glendale stand to possibly gain and possibly lose whichever way the Council votes.

Glacial

Jan 8, 2013
Looks that way.... But. It still come down to the vote on July 2 by the CoG.

The budgeted $6.5MM the CoG is willing to pay for the AMF is dead. The CoG must agree on July 2nd to increase the AMF to $15MM / yr and hope they get what they can back from revenue sources to ease the burden of paying $15MM / yr. If the CoG does this, then RSE can go and get their financing that they will turn around and buy the team with.

One question on July 2nd.... Can the CoG afford $15MM less questionable revenues?

Back to the ol' Jamison AMF. Sneaky devils. Mythical revenue streams that might be wet but most of the time are a sun-baked dry arroyo. Those revenue streams are less of this earth than the Phoenix Lights of 1997.

Doesn't Bettman & the NHL know the old rule: you break it, you buy it? If they break Glendale, they need to buy it. Maybe they can turn it into a real life Hockeytown USA. Bettman as mayor for life of a broke Glendale and he cannot leave the city limits under penalty of death. I think that's a good gig for Bettman post-Commissioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad