Phoenix LXXXIII: "Stuff's Gonna Happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The most interesting and telling parts of the TSN story are the direct quotes from Daly.

The NHL has clearly put the ball in Glendale's court, and it appears that the purpose of their consecutive meetings with city council members was simply to tell them how much they needed in annual subsidy to make a local sale to RSE.

Daly's message is that if Glendale decides not to pay up, they will relocate the team before next season. As predicted, the NHL is poised to blame Glendale for the relocation of the Coyotes, even though the conditions for staying were outrageous (i.e. free use of the arena, all arena revenues, $15 million in annual management fees). Combine that with Glendale's acquiescence on the original purchase in the bankruptcy auction, and the $45 million to cover operating losses, and the NHL looks pretty evil right now. It's pretty hard to imagine that they could say that the "puck is in Glendale's end" without an evil sneer.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
If the team does in fact relocate, we all just know Bettman is going to get the question from the media "You told us Atlanta was a one time thing."

I wonder how far Gary's head pops off at that question if/when it happens? :naughty:

Looking like it's time to get down and get funky! ;)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The most interesting and telling parts of the TSN story are the direct quotes from Daly.

The NHL has clearly put the ball in Glendale's court, and it appears that the purpose of their consecutive meetings with city council members was simply to tell them how much they needed in annual subsidy to make a local sale to RSE.

Daly's message is that if Glendale decides not to pay up, they will relocate the team before next season. As predicted, the NHL is poised to blame Glendale for the relocation of the Coyotes, even though the conditions for staying were outrageous (i.e. free use of the arena, all arena revenues, $15 million in annual management fees). Combine that with Glendale's acquiescence on the original purchase in the bankruptcy auction, and the $45 million to cover operating losses, and the NHL looks pretty evil right now. It's pretty hard to imagine that they could say that the "puck is in Glendale's end" without an evil sneer.

The NHL has put the puck in Glendales corner Whileee but Glendale shoot it right back into the NHL's corner, when they released the arena bids information. By making the bids public, I think Glendale is trying to tell the NHL that they don't have NHL in their long term plans but the NHL just does not get it.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
The NHL propaganda is at its finest since last night. Several dummy journalists spreading the Seattle crap despite the non-sense! Now radio hosts are spreading the Seattle option like wildfire this morning in Quebec City. People really believe anything they read. :help:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The NHL propaganda is at its finest since last night. Several dummy journalists spreading the Seattle crap despite the non-sense! Now radio hosts are spreading the Seattle option like wildfire this morning in Quebec City. People really believe anything they read. :help:

What are they exactly saying Slashers?

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011

Good thing the people that actually matter are smarter than that.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
A quote from Sherwood in our local newspaper: "They (RSE) had a lot more money in loans than cash flow. They disappointed us."

Compared to the CoG selling parking they already own for $100M or giving someone $320M of AMFs ....

As long as someone buys the team and keeps it in Glendale should be the CoGs concern, not how they finance it.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Compared to the CoG selling parking they already own for $100M or giving someone $320M of AMFs ....

As long as someone buys the team and keeps it in Glendale should be the CoGs concern, not how they finance it.

Not how they finance it? Glendale is broke and is now taking all the necessary steps to make wise financial decisions. So CoG should just give in to RSE's demands?

Halifaxhab*

They are panicking and believe Seattle is a viable option. :laugh:

Well, KC and Seattle are "viable" options, as in one has a rink ready (KC) another has one on the way (Seattle), they only need to find an ownership group ready to buy the team for one of those cities (uhmmmm, stranger things have happened).

I know QC has all the pieces in place, but htey aren't the only game in town so to speak. It is Bettman and his drooling sidekick Daleyboy, with them, anything is possible if their palms are greased enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halifaxhab*

Not how they finance it? Glendale is broke and is now taking all the necessary steps to make wise financial decisions. So CoG should just give in to RSE's demands?

Glendale needs to lookout for their citizens and tax paying public, and the NHL making them out as the heel in this is just wrong. This whole situation is the fault of former ownership and the NHL. Glendale council is getting the short end of the stick on this, and I feel worse for the Coyotes fans that have suffered through this garbage

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Well, KC and Seattle are "viable" options, as in one has a rink ready (KC) another has one on the way (Seattle), they only need to find an ownership group ready to buy the team for one of those cities (uhmmmm, stranger things have happened).

I know QC has all the pieces in place, but htey aren't the only game in town so to speak. It is Buttman and his drooling sidekick Daleyboy, with them, anything is possible if their palms are greased enough.

Seattle has an arena on the way... that's news to me. Kansas City is not interested in a hockey team...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If the team does in fact relocate, we all just know Bettman is going to get the question from the media "You told us Atlanta was a one time thing."

I wonder how far Gary's head pops off at that question if/when it happens? :naughty:

Looking like it's time to get down and get funky! ;)

It was a one time thing..... For Atlanta to Winnipeg. That will never happen again, so yes it's a one time thing. Gary's head won't explode.... He is already to put the last four years of no sale on the CoG. It's the CoGs fault they didn't want to bankrupt the city to keep Gary's NHL team.

" The CoG had every opportunity to keep the team by coming up with a lease that works for the team owner, and they choose not to, so what can we do? " - proposed Bettman quote.

Translation... The NHL tried to exhort millions of dollars out of a city and potentially bankrupt them, and they didn't go for it... Go figure.

Halifaxhab*

Seattle has an arena on the way... that's news to me. Kansas City is not interested in a hockey team...

Seattle has some billionaire that has everything ready to be going to break ground this summer on a 400+M areana.....for basketball. KC may not have the fanbase, but they have an NHL ready rink.

My point is they have as they like to say "viable options" so they can leverage what they want from Phoenix, or Peladeau. So they LOOK like they did everything and are the "good guys" in all of this mess.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

I know QC has all the pieces in place, but htey aren't the only game in town so to speak. It is Buttman and his drooling sidekick Daleyboy, with them, anything is possible if their palms are greased enough.

Seattle doesn't have an arena on the way. They don't have a done deal. They have a plan that can be pursued, but it's not a done deal, and as such is a potential nightmare for the NHL. And in addition to that, they need to find an ownership group. And somehow they need to settle those major issues while at the same time getting an operation ready for the fall? Not going to happen. Nor is KC viable, because KC doesn't want the NHL. When you consider that the Leafs will fight tooth and nail against any incursion into their territory, Quebec City is absolutely the only game in town right now. All these other "options" are an attempt by the NHL to gain leverage in its negotiations with PKP.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Sorry, you misunderstand me. IF RSE wants to do financial gymnastics and take out all sorts of loans so they can buy the team from the NHL, then great. They buy the team, keep it in Glendale, and it doesn't cost the CoG anymore than the $6M AMF. It's not the CoGs problem how RSE gets the money to purchase the team as long as the money doesn't come from the CoG. Sherwood's concern was that RSE was borrowing the money to buy the team. So? As long as the money doesn't come out of the CoG he shouldn't care.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
So, I have been wondering:

What if, say, shortly after season's end, Bettman had held a presser like this:

"We have a few parties who are interested in owning a team, and we have thought perhaps the Phoenix market might work for them. However, we also have had discussions with the current Glendale City Council. It seems to us that the needs that Glendale has for their Arena, and the needs we have if we use the Arena are incompatible. We appreciate very much the years we have had here. Unfortunately, right now it seems as if it is not possible to stay. So, we are considering offers to purchase the team and move it to another market....."

Followed in a few days by an announcement in Quebec.

How would that have played with everyone here?

Halifaxhab*

Seattle doesn't have an arena on the way. They don't have a done deal. They have a plan that can be pursued, but it's not a done deal, and as such is a potential nightmare for the NHL. And in addition to that, they need to find an ownership group. And somehow they need to settle those major issues while at the same time getting an operation ready for the fall? Not going to happen. Nor is KC viable, because KC doesn't want the NHL. When you consider that the Leafs will fight tooth and nail against any incursion into their territory, Quebec City is absolutely the only game in town right now. All these other "options" are an attempt by the NHL to gain leverage in its negotiations with PKP.

That was my point. But Seattle's arena is a basketball primary rink....hockey didn't even factor into the planning

EDIT: Also, a relocation fee is about 50-60M, but an expansion fee is going to be in the 200+M range.....which one do you believe the NHL wants from a Canadian based Ownership group more? This whole thing is to get more $$$ for the NHL. No other motivation, but as the Commish of the NHL, it is Buttmans job to screw everyone else over....especially fans

BergyMeister

Overpaid 4th liner
Mar 5, 2010
Tampa Via Vermont.
What is Portlands arena like for hockey? Could Portland be a viable short term option until Seattle is ready? I agree that all the spewage from Gary's mouth yesterday was just for leverage to use against QC and prepping the blame game against CoG.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Sorry, you misunderstand me. IF RSE wants to do financial gymnastics and take out all sorts of loans so they can buy the team from the NHL, then great. They buy the team, keep it in Glendale, and it doesn't cost the CoG anymore than the $6M AMF. It's not the CoGs problem how RSE gets the money to purchase the team as long as the money doesn't come from the CoG. Sherwood's concern was that RSE was borrowing the money to buy the team. So? As long as the money doesn't come out of the CoG he shouldn't care.

Now I follow you and I agree. Sherwood just doesn't seem to believe RSE is for real.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
What is Portlands arena like for hockey? Could Portland be a viable short term option until Seattle is ready?

Portland would appreciate being a place-holder for Seattle as much as Hamilton would appreciate being a place-holder for Toronto, I would think. Namely not at all!

Plus Paul Allen controls the arena in Portland and apparently doesn't want the NHL there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad