Phoenix LXXXIII: "Stuff's Gonna Happen"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
"I understand that we had to leave a city like Quebec for economic reasons at a certain time. I think that you have to consider that these fans that had their team taken away because of a decision to move. If you went somewhere else and have a chance to come back, you have to keep it in mind." - Gary Bettman, March 2nd 2012, Toronto Sun.

We'll hold you to that Bettman.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
"If you went somewhere else and have a chance to come back, you have to keep it in mind." -
Gary Bettman

Yes. Thats a really Deep Thought Gary. Like,"if you ever crawled into an old hollow log in a park to take a nap and while your in there a couple of guys came along and seal up both ends, throw it onto a truck and drive to another city, well, Boy, I dont know what to tell you".
Jack Handey

GreenHornet

Mar 3, 2011
Norcross, GA
"I think that you have to consider that these fans that had their team taken away because of a decision to move. If you went somewhere else and have a chance to come back, you have to keep it in mind." - Gary Bettman, March 2nd 2012, Toronto Sun.

We'll hold you to that Bettman.

We'll file that away here in Atlanta, as well (for the day A$G's evil reign of terror ends one day in the distant future).

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
They still get CBC...

yep

KING puts the games on KONG (which is not a digital subchannel, it's an independent station that shows syndicated shows and NBC programming that KING doesn't want like Meet the Press) because CBC cannibalizes their ratings to such a degree that local news does better.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
After watching the press conference, I absolutely believe the coyotes are moving to Quebec City.

And lol at Spector asking about the franchise going on hiatus. What an idiot. And I just shake my head at Simmons. I am no Bettman fan, but is it any wonder he avoids the Canadian press like he does.

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Donwood said:
Peter James @ pjames 13m
For those wondering if Seattle is a potential NHL market, it's worth noting NBC affiliate in Seattle NOT showing Game 1
They still get CBC...

The Stanley Cup finals air in Quebec via a local station.
They don't air in Seattle. Unless they watch it on the CBC feed. But locally, nah.

Sigh. This comes up every year when someone wants to slag Seattle. They like to pretend the games are not broadcast at all

The game was broadcast in Seattle. The NBC affiliate KING showed the game on it's sister station KONG.

KING frequently does this, especially for early games which conflict with KING's local news broadcast and the NBC network news. They moved the NHL broadcast to KONG, which has the same market penetration, and promote the move on KING, including with an intermittent crawl directing viewers to KONG for the game.

The NHL is not unique to this. King has also done this for Seahawks pre-season games.

gernb

Sep 17, 2004
Sigh. This comes up every year when someone wants to slag Seattle. They like to pretend the games are not broadcast at all

The game was broadcast in Seattle. The NBC affiliate KING showed the game on it's sister station KONG.

KING frequently does this, especially for early games which conflict with KING's local news broadcast and the NBC network news. They moved the NHL broadcast to KONG, which has the same market penetration, and promote the move on KING, including with an intermittent crawl directing viewers to KONG for the game.

The NHL is not unique to this. King has also done this for Seahawks pre-season games.

KING regularly uses KONG for sports. The Sounders also end up there. It's just that their news is a bigger ratings grabber and they prefer to not upset those viewers since its a larger audience.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Four years is too mny ****ing years.

Today is the day I have officially reached the point where I truly do not care what the conclusion is, as long as there is a conclusion. Sell local, relocate(to Mexico City, Moscow, Quebec or butt ****, i dont care) fold the team, or drop the god damned hydrogen bomb directly on my face. It's all equally acceptable to me.

The only outcome I actually fear is this dragging on into another season.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Glendale names the four bidders....

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130613glendale-names-arena-bidders.html

Interesting bunch.

1). SMG (with the AZ Cardinals' Rojo Management)

2). Group that operates US Airways Arena. (talk about locking up a monopoly on arenas).

3). Group out of Scottsdale that runs a small amphitheater in Flagstaff (seats ~3500).

4). Group with alleged ties to Glendale council member Norma Alvarez who have never operated a venue larger than a pool party. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

fishbert

Feb 22, 2012
2). Group that operates US Airways Arena. (talk about locking up a monopoly on arenas).

To be fair, I don't think managing 2 arenas in the Phoenix metro area is really a monopoly... lots of competition up there (which coincidentally is a bit of a problem for whoever gets the contract).

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
To be fair, I don't think managing 2 arenas in the Phoenix metro area is really a monopoly... lots of competition up there (which coincidentally is a bit of a problem for whoever gets the contract).

Problem I see is when booking acts.... which arena between the two
might get favorable treatment?

Yes they're only two of several venues in Phoenix. But they happen to be the two largest of their type.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Three out of four serious bid the NHL won't like that. If their last gamble was to hope that only unrealistic and inexperienced bidders applied well it dashed. I wonder if Livenation and AEG got bullied away from making a bid?

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Glendale names the four bidders....

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130613glendale-names-arena-bidders.html

Interesting bunch.

1). SMG (with the AZ Cardinals' Rojo Management)

3). Group out of Scottsdale that runs a small amphitheater in Flagstaff (seats ~3500).

4). Group with alleged ties to Glendale council member Norma Alvarez who have never operated a venue larger than a pool party. :sarcasm:

Interesting, no AEG, no Global Spectrum. I was wondering if the owners of the respective Kings and Flyers were going to bid and make Bettman look a little foolish.

SMG is the biggest of the group and most experienced and currently manages two NHL arenas. Recently made a failed bid to manage Copps Coliseum (which went to Global Spectrum).

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Three out of four serious bid the NHL won't like that. If their last gamble was to hope that only unrealistic and inexperienced bidders applied well it dashed. I wonder if Livenation and AEG got bullied away from making a bid?

I think you mean Global Spectrum. Live Nation is a separate company that handles tickets (as Ticketmaster) and theatres, and has affiliated itself in the past with both Global Spectrum and AEG.

Perhaps the recent privatization the occurred in Hamilton has confused the issue when Global Spectrum and Live Nation put in a joint bid to run HECFI. Global Spectrum runs Copps, Live Nation runs Hamilton Place. They are allied, but not the same company.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
No AEG no Global Spectrum, gee who would have thunk it? Monarch group? Did the wingnuts not read the criteria?

Last edited:

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

Both Nationwide Arena and Value City Arena in Columbus are managed by Ohio State, at least partially. OSU manages the non-athletic events at Nationwide Arena and all events a Value City Arena. Nationwide Arena just announced a decent profit, so a relationship like this can work.

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Interesting, no AEG, no Global Spectrum. I was wondering if the owners of the respective Kings and Flyers were going to bid and make Bettman look a little foolish.

SMG is the biggest of the group and most experienced and currently manages two NHL arenas. Recently made a failed bid to manage Copps Coliseum (which went to Global Spectrum).

And I think SMG will get the contract, will they negotiate with the NHL, we will see.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

If I was a betting panda, I would say this group wins. The dynamic of corruption would just fit this saga perfectly. :nod:

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
An update of the Canadian Press article on TSN.ca...

Daly says Coyotes move possible if no deal reached in Glendale

"We're still focused on making it work with the Coyotes staying in Arizona," he said. "I don't want to begin the process, particularly publicly, where there's going to be a lot of speculation as to where the team might go if it moved because all that would do would be to unfairly raise expectation in places."

Seattle, Southern Ontario and Kansas City are among other areas considered ripe for relocation. But Bettman and Daly emphasized, as they did with the Atlanta Thrashers, that moving any team is a last resort.

Grrr...thanks a lot....

Like asking someone not to think about the elephant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad